• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beautiful Pigeon! (1 Viewer)

Today I seen such a beautiful pigeon in my yard. I've been looking in my books & online I havn't seen one like it!
It's all black, it's neck was green/purple , & it's back tail feathers were pure white! Oh it was so beautiful! I never seen one like that before! When he was flying, his tail feathers look like a white fan!
Has anyone have pictures or seen one like this before?
Birdlover7269

Birdlover,
The common pigeon (Rock Pigeon) that we see in towns and cities in the US are feral birds (wild descendants of domestic birds) and they come in every color under the rainbow. There are also some domestic pigeons (same species though) that are bred for particular color patterns. I've seen some Rollers with color patterns like you describe. So, this bird could be either a feral Rock Pigeon or an escaped (or lost) domestic pigeon such as the Roller or Racing Pigeon.

Last edited:
When my family and I went to the Bronx Zoo last month, we were eating, and there are all these pigeons around. every one of them was the same pattern (the normal Rock Pigeon plumage), except one: He was colored like a dalmation...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back