• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oare Marshes, Sunday 25th July (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear all,
The high tide wader gathering at Oare this evening was as good as ever - the list below speaks for itself:

2 Garganey in eclipse plumage - one more rufous on the flanks than the other which I presume to me the male (see photo below taken in poor light since they didn't appear until 6:45pm when it was cloudy).
Black-Tailed Godwits - c600, mainly on the East Lagoon.
20 Ruff
8 Greenshank
8 Knot on the East lagoon in summer plumage
4 Curlew Sandpipers ( a group of three and one 'loner')
1 Wood Sandpiper
1 Spotted Redshank
4 Common Sandpipers
2 Green Sandpipers
20 Dunlin

11 Whimbrel on the shoreline by the visitor centre and a few on the west lagoon at the high tide.
4 Common Terns - flying west along the river.

5 Little Egrets
2 Marsh Harriers
1 Hobby over the West Lagoon at 2pm
1 Sparrowhawk
1 Yellow Wagtail on the West Lagoon

Regards,
Lancey

eclipse Garganey at Oare Photo

Dear all,
I'd forgotten to attach the photo of one of the eclipse Garganeys at Oare to my thread. Here it is:

Lancey

Attachments

• garganey.jpg
    garganey.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 130
Good list again Lancey - similar to mine at the morning high tide although I didn't get the garganey. Oare just gets better every day.

Just returned from Oare Marshes what a superb place this is waders were every where including 600+ Black-tailed Gopdwits ,About 150 redshank, far to many dunlin to count, 1 greensand piper ,1 wood sandpiper ,6 common sandpipers ,5 curlew sandpipers ,5+ knot inc 3 in sp ,2 gargany, 2 little owls ,whimbrel,2 greenshank,male cuckoo,3 turtle doves, little egret 3or4,Marsh harrier 2.All in all a very good day.

Yes, nice evening out Lancey. sounds similar in some ways to my local patch (and i guess others on the east coast), though your numbers are higher ... a couple other differences maybe, the Garganey for example ... :clap:

But I'm surprised at the 4 terns, are you expecting to their numbers to rise soon ?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back