• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ150 (1 Viewer)

Look good to me Rodger, Has anyone found a small bag/holster for the FZ150 with hood , that they can recommend. i have some larger shoulder bags from my 35mm days but these are all too big for this camera.

Hi. I use a LowePro TLZ Mini (TLZ = top loader zoom). The FZ150 fits in perfectly with hood attached. However, I don't know if that model is made any more. The closest model appears to be the TLZ 45 AW, but it is an inch bigger in all dimensions. But it appears there are a few LowePro models that would work with the FZ150, like the Adventura TLZ 15. http://products.lowepro.com/product/Adventura-TLZ-15,2210,8.htm

Last edited:
Top-loader is the answer

I was very sad to say ‘good-bye’ to my Camera Care Systems case- quick access, when attached to my belt, superbly padded and waterproof. It was just slightly too small.

I now needed another similar, as CCS no longer exists.

Some of these products might provide an answer: http://www.clikelite.com/products/#Accessories

I plumped for http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-kata-grip-12-dl-holster-black/p1525519, which allows the camera to sit ‘upright’ in the bag with zoom fully extended, for quick action. I do not use the hood, but have a protective filter on the lens. When the camera is ‘off’, it sits in the bag on its side, ready to be brought out by the grip.

Having never had a DSLR, I cannot compare with one of these.

However, I have noticed that some of these (burst) shots are in focus and others aren't.

The ones in focus can be very good and some are, in fact, on here.

I find exactly the same thing,the first shot is great,and focus after that becomes poor.

Going to try just the straight burst tomorrow,IE, focus on first shot.

Also if using auto IE,first shot slightly Darker.

John

I get that as well. It happened on my FZ18, FZ100 and FZ150. I have always assumed it was me, as I tend to jerk the camera slightly when I start following a bit of action. I came to this conclusion, because if one of the shots is going to be slightly blurred, its usually the first shot. Its possible that there is also camera movement happening during the burst, which may cause other shots to be blurred. I also have a friend who has a Pentax DSLR and he said it happens to his shots as well.

I find exactly the same thing,the first shot is great,and focus after that becomes poor.

snip

John

My experience is with a FZ18 which did not try to change focus between shots in burst. With this, the usual pattern was that shot 2 or 3 was better than one, presumably because any shakes due to me pressing the shutter had dissipated.

On the GH2 that does not seem to be the case, presumably because the mechanical shutter induces a similar amount of shakes to the amount that dissipates. (On the other hand, the GH2 when focused well and with a fast enough shutter is sharper than the FZ18 ever was).

Niels

My experience is with a FZ18 which did not try to change focus between shots in burst. With this, the usual pattern was that shot 2 or 3 was better than one, presumably because any shakes due to me pressing the shutter had dissipated.

On the GH2 that does not seem to be the case, presumably because the mechanical shutter induces a similar amount of shakes to the amount that dissipates. (On the other hand, the GH2 when focused well and with a fast enough shutter is sharper than the FZ18 ever was).

Niels
Yes I agree, that's my experience as well. I'm sure its operator error. I haven't noticed the change in exposure on this camera, but I did get it on the FZ18, where often the first shot was overexposed, but not always. Could never quite work out what was happening in that respect.

How are you enjoying the GH2 Niels? I was tempted to try the G3, but when the FZ150 came out and got such good reviews I decided to stick with the superzooms. I quite pleased with the camera and will be happy to use it for some time.

Here are some more images taken with the FZ150. By the way I did notice when looking through my shots, that on one occasion the first picture in the burst was slightly underexposed when compared to the others in the burst. Once again, can't explain why that would happen.

By the way, anybody know what species of hummingbirds these two are? I suspect that they are Anna's, but I am having a lot of trouble identifying them, so any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• thrasher.JPG
    thrasher.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 154
  • hummingbird.JPG
    hummingbird.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 156
  • hummingbird1.JPG
    hummingbird1.JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 176
How are you enjoying the GH2 Niels? I was tempted to try the G3, but when the FZ150 came out and got such good reviews I decided to stick with the superzooms. I quite pleased with the camera and will be happy to use it for some time.

A little off topic in this thread, but I have had many good photos with the GH2, and have uploaded several to my area in BF gallery. I will copy a couple of them here just to show off ;)

Niels

Attachments

• Waterbuck male P1030068.JPG
    Waterbuck male P1030068.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Familiar Chat P1020538.jpg
    Familiar Chat P1020538.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 173
Here are some more images taken with the FZ150. By the way I did notice when looking through my shots, that on one occasion the first picture in the burst was slightly underexposed when compared to the others in the burst. Once again, can't explain why that would happen.

By the way, anybody know what species of hummingbirds these two are? I suspect that they are Anna's, but I am having a lot of trouble identifying them, so any help would be appreciated.

Great shots, Roger. The quality is very good indeed (no obvious artifacts etc).
Hobbes

Hi folks.
Been using this for a while and I am throughly impressed. I've not had many outings with it but I did got some acceptable images of a Heron early in the morning. It involved some stalking but the extensive zoom made all the difference.

The video quality stands out and I am looking forward to viewing them on the tv.
My favourite function has to be the burst mode. It really is impressive and helps to get that perfect shot. I was also impressed with the af tracking where it followed a kestrel at full zoom rather well.

Low light performance isn't the best with shadow areas being particularly noisy but this is to be expected from such a small sensor.

Hi folks.
Been using this for a while and I am throughly impressed. I've not had many outings with it but I did got some acceptable images of a Heron early in the morning. It involved some stalking but the extensive zoom made all the difference.

The video quality stands out and I am looking forward to viewing them on the tv.
My favourite function has to be the burst mode. It really is impressive and helps to get that perfect shot. I was also impressed with the af tracking where it followed a kestrel at full zoom rather well.

Low light performance isn't the best with shadow areas being particularly noisy but this is to be expected from such a small sensor.

Hi Mabs, Glad to hear you're getting good results with this camera.I know what you mean about low light performance, but I have found you can get quite good results simply by using the iA mode. I was comparing some interior shots taken under fairly low lighting with a friend who had a Nikon DSLR and I was getting shots that were just as good as his. I know his camera would do better if the light was even lower, but I was impressed at how good my shots were. I expected that the DSLR shots would be way better

Autofocus between shots at 5.5 fps

Here's some new shots I have taken with the FZ150 using the 5.5 fps setting with auto focus between shots. It seemed to work quite well for the most part. All three selected are in focus a couple of other shots were not in absolute focus, but still pretty good.

Attachments

• egret1.jpg
    egret1.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 367
  • egret2.jpg
    egret2.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 362
  • egret3.jpg
    egret3.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 358
I’ve discovered, to my chagrin (and hundreds of wasted shots of a Semi-pee), that it is very easy inadvertently to change the settings (ISO, on this occasion) on the back of the camera, whilst wearing gloves.

It is also, as I’ve previously said, difficult to locate the ‘Playback’ and ‘Video’ buttons in the dark: ideally, these should be made more prominent and distinctive against the surface in some way, in a future model.

I’ve discovered, to my chagrin (and hundreds of wasted shots of a Semi-pee), that it is very easy inadvertently to change the settings (ISO, on this occasion) on the back of the camera, whilst wearing gloves.

It is also, as I’ve previously said, difficult to locate the ‘Playback’ and ‘Video’ buttons in the dark: ideally, these should be made more prominent and distinctive against the surface in some way, in a future model.

I don't know if you've read any of the comments by Rolla Gravette on Amazon, but he complained that the playback button on the FZ100 was too easy to activate and he thought that the one on the FZ150 was better. Personally, I prefered the one on the FZ100, which stuck out just a little bit more. I have never had to operate the camera with gloves on, bit some of those buttons are pretty small and I can imagine that it would be a difficult thing to do with any accuracy. I rather like the quick access to the iso settings, but I acknowledge that it was be an easy thing to accidently activate that feature with gloves.

HI Scodgerott, it was eating a mouse. I believe it caught it when it swooped down next to a path a few minutes before.

bought a panasonic fz150 a few weeks ago very pleased with the results so far

Attachments

• P1000195 (2).jpg
    P1000195 (2).jpg
    226 KB · Views: 308
  • P1000312 (2).jpg
    P1000312 (2).jpg
    372 KB · Views: 175
  • P1000618 (2).jpg
    P1000618 (2).jpg
    320 KB · Views: 388
  • P1000875 (2).jpg
    P1000875 (2).jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 180
  • P1000667 (2).jpg
    P1000667 (2).jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 306
Hi Terry, glad to see you're getting some good results with the camera. It is a very good camera and I doubt that many people who buy one will be unhappy with their purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back