• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What might lay eggs on my lawn? (1 Viewer)

8511swann

Hi folks, I must admit that since my membership of the young ornithologists expired about 20 years ago, my bird knowledge has decreased somewhat.

So, I was hoping somebody here might help:

This morning, upon looking into my back garden, I noticed that there were 2 small blue eggs in the middle of the lawn. They weren't there last night, there is nowhere for them to have fallen from, and they are right next to each other. They are pale blue, and perhaps an inch long.

Does anybody have any idea as to where they may have come from?. I'm in Cumbria by the way!!

Last edited:
Cheers Claire, thanks for the welcome. No, they're much paler than those. I've got a few pics, but the lighting isn't very good outside right now. I'll upload and post in about 5 minutes.
Cheers,
Swanny

Ignore previous post - certainly not Robin!

No idea what they are - most birs which nest in trees or holes in trees have white / cream / pale blue eggs and I'm afraid I'm not too much of an "Eggspert" (Blimey - could see tha one coming!). Someone on here will know though!
Claire

The bizarre thing is that they definately appeared overnight, and they were just sat right in the middle of the lawn, with nowhere to fall from!!LOL

They're definitely starling eggs.

As there's 2 of them, they are not the result of a female dumping an egg. So it must be predation. Corvids often cache eggs, so a crow or magpie has probably found the nest and taken the eggs to hide, but possibly either not hidden them very well or been disturbed in the process.

Yes they are Starling eggs........... however since they are on a lawn I was going to suggest Moa......... the rare and thought to be extinct Lawn Moa!

I don't think they have to worry about Killdeer in Britain aside from the rare straggler. There eggs are mottled to look like gravel anyway.

Perhaps a predator got these, they do look like Starling eggs to me as well.

Yes they are Starling eggs........... however since they are on a lawn I was going to suggest Moa......... the rare and thought to be extinct Lawn Moa!

:-O :-O I can confirm they aren't extinct Nigel. In fact I was disecting one in my garage only the other night!:eek!:

Thanks for all the replies folks, most appreciated.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back