• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellowstone NP looking for a guide/tour operator (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

Hi there, I'm considering a yellowstone trip, coming from the UK. I'd really like to see bears and would dearly love to see wolves if I'm lucky enough (I know this would be hard though). I'm also into birding, photography general wildlife etc. But the trips I've seen are so expesive. :( Can anyone recommend someone who's local that could organise a tour for me or ideas for keeping a trip fairly low cost? I'm happy to camp to keep costs down. I can travel any time given a few months notice so am not tied to holiday season.

Thank for your help.

All the best

Jo

Hi Jo,
It's very easy to experience our parks without a guide. That is because of our National Park Service. By writing to Yellowstone Park - with the questions you have - great answers should come about.

I'd recommend renting some camping equipment in a town outside of the park and see it on your own. The Park Service will know all the best places and trails for what you wish.

This is a useful site:

http://www.maxwaugh.com/yellowstone/map.php

Gray Wolf and both bears are actually, as far as I can tell, "easy" in Yellowstone, if you give yourself a week and hit up the right spots (Despite 4 years living in Wyoming, I still haven't been!)

There are some local guides I think around, but like the previous poster said, Yellowstone is pretty easy to do by yourself

I'm not sure about pricing, etc. but you might want to contact Terry McEneaney, the former Yellowstone ornithologist. He leads tours and may know other reputable guides in the area.

http://www.ravenidiot.com/tours.htm

Interestingly, I haven't heard of many birding trips to the area, though the birding (particularly on the Idaho side of the park in the Targhee National Forest, etc.) is great.

I also have the contact information for a very good birder who works as a fly-fishing guide near Island Park, in Idaho about 35 miles from the Park. Contact me off-list for that contact info. He can certainly help you plan your trip.

As others have mentioned, the Park is pretty easy to do on your own. There's a lot of published information out there about where to go and what to see.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me. I lived in the area for several years and have spent extensive time in the Park.

Thanks for the info. I'll drop Terry a line and if you could PM me the details of your other contact, that would be fantastic too.

Many thanks

Jo

Unless you're traveling alone, I'd recommend foregoing a guide. The NPS provides excellent info and can even help you find the things you're looking for. In my experience, often times you only need to be a short ways from the roads to be virtually by yourself and see all the animals/sights you could ever need.

Thanks, It is quite possible I will be on my own for this trip so I'm not sure that self guiding would be an option for me. Would happily share costs with someone planning a trip though if that is a possibility.

Thanks, It is quite possible I will be on my own for this trip so I'm not sure that self guiding would be an option for me. Would happily share costs with someone planning a trip though if that is a possibility.

While traveling alone is not a problem, I would advise against hiking and/or backpacking alone in a place like this unless you have significant experience (and even then). Short day hikes are no problem though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back