• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Car door mounts? (1 Viewer)

Paul - Herts

Paul Herts
Hi

has anybody any suggestions for mounting a DSLR with 400 f5.6 safely on a car door/window? I have been using a bean bag which is works well with relatively still subjects but I find that panning shots tend to be problematic due to the focus ring being dragged with the panning motion.

The only designs I can find are either US or just too expensive to contemplate. I have come across Ergorest (sp?), but they appear to be defunct, and Manfrotto produce a clamp-to-glass solution; I really don't fancy that though - I can see me driving home round the M25 with toughened glass in my lap and the wind blowing through what remains of my not-so-golden locks 3:)

Any bright ideas for a stable platform that I could attach my tripod head to?

cheers Paul

P.S. posted this in the scopes forum by mistake so if you think you've read it before - you have :t:

Car door/window mount

Hi

has anybody any suggestions for mounting a DSLR with 400 f5.6 safely on a car door/window? I have been using a bean bag which is works well with relatively still subjects but I find that panning shots tend to be problematic due to the focus ring being dragged with the panning motion.

The only designs I can find are either US or just too expensive to contemplate. I have come across Ergorest (sp?), but they appear to be defunct, and Manfrotto produce a clamp-to-glass solution; I really don't fancy that though - I can see me driving home round the M25 with toughened glass in my lap and the wind blowing through what remains of my not-so-golden locks 3:)

Any bright ideas for a stable platform that I could attach my tripod head to?

cheers Paul

P.S. posted this in the scopes forum by mistake so if you think you've read it before - you have :t:

Paul see if this is what you want.
http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/eckla-eagle-car-door-camera-support/
Robert

Thanks for the link, Robert, it is the sort of thing that I am looking for, the prices are all so high though. Guess I am going to have to persevere with what I already have |=(|

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back