• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Viking 10x30 AIS Monocular (1 Viewer)

dipped

Was at Minsmere today and noticed a new addition in the cabinet, the Image Stabilised 10x30 monocular here: http://www.vikingopticalcentres.co.uk/binoculars/monoculars/monoculars/viking-10x30-ais-monocular

First impressions were positive good optics though a rather strange focus position - an outer ring on the objective lens.

Now to the Image Stabilisation, which I was most interested in. There is a slider switch above the mon. which stays put in the on position. There doesn't seem to be any indication when the IS is on unlike the Canon IS led's. However I noticed absolutely no difference to the image stability. If anything the image was slightly better in the off position. AFAIK the batteries were OK so I don't know what to say about it.

I will be able to have a proper look on Friday when I next visit in my official capacity as a volunteer (lift pending), and be able to see if I can get to the bottom of this little conundrum.

What occurs to me is the batteries were duds as looking at the pictures on the Viking site there does seem to be an led after all. Nothing lit up though.

Last edited:
. The camera type batteries may be a bit expensive, and it uses two when the Canon 8×25 uses one camera battery.
The other Canons use two AA batteries.

I notice in today's Birdwatching Magazine that the Canon 10 x 30 Mark one is selling for £299, a bit of a reduction. Maybe they'll be bigger reductions if they sell them off.

I would be interested to see a test of the stabilised monocular, but it will have to be good to beat the Canons.

I wonder if it is actually a Russian or Chinese system?
Some of these image stabilised systems don't actually work so well.

I suppose they could have forgotten to put batteries in it.

This is a platform that Kamakura designed with, we assume, some funding from an unknown US military/tactical source. So it's Japanese technology and optics.

The IS worked very well in the samples we saw (originally at Photokina 2012 and more recently at Photokina last year and SHOT earlier this year).

One current limitation is that the objective lens can only be around 30mm. If they can make it work (and keep it small) at 50mm that starts to get interesting. A second is that the platform offered is not waterproof.

To me (personal opinion, not necessarily Opticron's!), at present it's a solution looking for a problem. But there are a few other customers for it:

http://www.gofoto.se/monokikare/magnipro-10x25-ais-mono
http://sightron.com.hk/siibl-10x25-stabilizer-monocular/

HTH

Cheers, Pete

I believe it is a totally new IS technology designed elsewhere but quite possibly assembled in China.

David

I can confirm that the Viking version at least is made in China having had another chance to look at it today.

The batteries must be flat in it as the IS doesn't work and there appears to be an led at the eyepiece end to confirm operation (or otherwise). Unfortunately no replacements were available today so I can't personally comment yet on the IS system.

I am a volunteer optics advisor at RSPB Old Moor, and have spent a few hours trying out the Viking IS monocular.

The IS <does> work, you can feel a little 'kick' when you switch it on btw. The IS is particularly effective when looking at dragonflies or butterflies - the monocular will focus extremely close - so it is ideal for that purpose, as with most monoculars.

I am a volunteer optics advisor at RSPB Old Moor, and have spent a few hours trying out the Viking IS monocular.

The IS <does> work, you can feel a little 'kick' when you switch it on btw. The IS is particularly effective when looking at dragonflies or butterflies - the monocular will focus extremely close - so it is ideal for that purpose, as with most monoculars.

I help out at Minsmere and our cabinet model has never had a charged battery for me to try it out though we are getting the batteries now. Good to hear it works well.

Does an indicator led come on in use and is there an auto shut off or do you just use the slider switch?

Hi again,

Just had an optics weekend at Old Moor. Spent some time using the Viking IS monocular, yes there is an indicator (green LED) when you switch on. Don't know about auto shut-off for sure, but I think there is, because when I go it out of the box, it was switched 'on' but no LED showing. Switched it off and on again and the LED came on, and I felt the gyro kick.

I managed to watch a dragonfly with it from about 2m, and thought it was pretty good for that purpose.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but today I bought this item ex-demo but in perfect condition.

The unit takes two CR2 lithium batteries and there is sliding on/off switch with a green LED adjacent to the switch. The IS is very effective in getting rid of shakes caused by handheld jitter.

There is also a grip sensor, consisting of two parallel dark metal strips. If you leave the IS switched on but have the unit in the carry pouch or swinging from the lanyard then the IS will soon go into sleep mode, saving battery power and wear on the IS system.

The focus ring is very light in action and is on the objective lens; the design makes this seem as if an autofocus version might be sold under a different badge by another supplier as it works exactly like the manual focus ring on many AF camera lenses. Viking certainly don’t offer that option. As focusing is so fast and easy an AF system just adds weight and complexity and would be heavy on the non-rechargeable batteries. This ex-demo unit came without instructions so I don’t know yet whether this would work with CR2 rechargeables.

The eyepiece has a very large diameter allowing for a lot of eye-relief; the eyecup rotates to adjust for glasses wearers. Two lens caps are supplied of identical size and as I mentioned earlier there is a carry pouch with a belt-loop.

The unit is rubberised but claims no waterproofing capability; the screw on battery chamber cap does have an o-ring so it’s probably got a small amount of weather-sealing; testing and certifying that for such a low production volume item would likely not be cost-effective.

Image quality is good and the unit has a very close focus ability down to about 6 feet (about 2m).

My only criticism is that the supplied wrist-loop lanyard inspires no confidence. I don’t intend to find out whether the thin cord at the end will break easily but it is a generic Chinese item which looks exactly like ones I’ve had fail on small lithium powered torches. So I’ve immediately replaced it with a Peak Design wrist loop which is compatible with their quick-release buttons which also have a thin cord but are very strong indeed.

So I’ve immediately replaced it with a Peak Design wrist loop which is compatible with their quick-release buttons which also have a thin cord but are very strong indeed.
That cord is made of Dyneema, and extremely tough indeed. Have you tried it with rechargeable batteries? I didn’t fancy using wasteful CR2s in my Nikon 10x25 Stabilized binocular, but fortunately rechargeables work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back