• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

world list of birds seen (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Dear Forum members
I am compiling a life list of all birds seen worldwide. however I am confused by the fact there doesnt seem to be one authoritative list of birds, but several.
Please can anyone advise which list is the one to use when doing a life list?

With thanks
ian

I use both Clements and IOC, just so I can compare my two lists out of curiosity to see how the two different authorities treat the subject.

However, I always default to IOC out of ultimate preference because I think they have a more progressive attitude to speciation based on current research. That isn't a universally accepted view btw, and others will see it differently.

FTR I think that it's a similar thing to what you count on your list. Which authority you most agree with, compared to what you think constitutes a 'tick'; it's a personal decision as much as anything, plus the latter is a whole other topic in itself!

re: bird checklists

Dear friends
thank you for your kind thoughts about my question.
Having taken much useful idea from your suggestions, I think I will make a spreadsheet of all the birds I have seen, and have one column each for the lists (IOC, clements, and Howard).
That way I will be able to say (for example)
"My life list (clements) is 291, and my lift list (IOC) is 294 (or whatever).
It just seems to me they are continually making more and more birds into full species. For example the hooded crow and the common crow.

Best wishes
Ian

An easy way to do it would be www.bubo.org. You can keep a life list with IOC and Clements (Howard and Moore is not freely accessible). The big advantage would also be that you don't have to worry about list updates. They do it on bubo and you can simply adjust your list(s).

André

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back