• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZEISS TERRA ED 8x25 pocket (1 Viewer)

8x21 vs 10x25. Amazing what one can do with rubber armouring :)

Cheers, Pete

Attachments

• WP_20151113_14_01_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151113_14_01_33_Pro.jpg
    889.6 KB · Views: 356
  • WP_20151113_14_01_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151113_14_01_57_Pro.jpg
    729 KB · Views: 278
That's my thought too. Why do the make mostly 2mm ep compacts, 8x20 and 10x25? 7x21 and 8x24, even 6x24 would be much more usable. They could use the case of the 10x25 for an 8x25 or make a smaller 8x20, yet they stick with the 2.5mm. Why?

Is Tera ED made in China or Japan?

I just had an interesting conversation with a very nice sales lady at Eagle Optics. When I inquired about where the Tera ED 8x25 was manufactured, her immediate response was: "The ED is made in China!" However, she willingly complied with my request to confirm the statement by actually looking at a box or instrument. After a few minutes she returned and said: "Sorry, it's made in Japan," — whereupon I placed an order. :D

Ed

I can't comment on the Conquests optical merits. I've never used one. They cost a couple of hundred dollars more so they likely have higher cost coatings.

I do know that they can be folded into a "Z" pattern because their objective tubes have no stops at 90 degrees like the new Terra ED does. The objective tubes on their hinges move a full 180 degrees.

I do have a Victory 8x20 and the Terra ED can be made to fold like the Victory does because of its hinge construction. I like the way the Victory handles with its design.

With the stops on the Terra ED's objective tubes hinges fully extended the Terra ED can be used in the same manner that the Victory with its single offset hinge is used.

For example, keep the objective tube on the right hinge fully extended and look through it with your right eye then move the left tube inwards until you can see through it with your left eye. It is very easy to do and the Swarovski Companion CL works the same way as do many other compact binoculars.

Bob

Bob:

I am wondering if you wear glasses when viewing or without.

You have a couple of 8x25's that are often talked about, and for
me, I do find it hard to get enough eye relief when putting my pocket
binoculars up to view.

I don't wear glasses and like them to rest on "my own eyecups". ;)
The Molcet method and finger brace is not enjoyable, for more than
a few seconds.

I think the main issue with the pockets is the small diameter eyecups
common to most all, where the larger 8x28 and bigger ones have
a larger eyecup which naturally makes the "effective" eye relief farther from
your face.

That can make all the difference to usability for me.

Jerry

Bob:

I am wondering if you wear glasses when viewing or without.

You have a couple of 8x25's that are often talked about, and for
me, I do find it hard to get enough eye relief when putting my pocket
binoculars up to view.

I don't wear glasses and like them to rest on "my own eyecups". ;)
The Molcet method and finger brace is not enjoyable, for more than
a few seconds.

I think the main issue with the pockets is the small diameter eyecups
common to most all, where the larger 8x28 and bigger ones have
a larger eyecup which naturally makes the "effective" eye relief farther from
your face.

That can make all the difference to usability for me.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

No, I don't wear glasses. I am 20/25 in my dominant right eye and 20/15 in my left eye. My diopter adjustment is somewhere in the -1 range depending on the binocular although anomalies can come up from how it was set up when it was manufactured. The diopter setting for my 10x32 LX L is +1.

I brace my binoculars up against my brow ridge and just under my eyebrows. From there I can move it slightly forward and back to get the eye relief I need for each binocular.

I am most comfortable with ER of 16mm or more but I can get along OK down to 14mm depending on the binocular as long as the eye cups have wide, comfortable rims.

I prefer these wide eye cups with thick rubber rims even if the diameters of the oculars on the binoculars are not particularly wide. This probably explains why I don't get along as well with the two 8x20 binoculars I own: The Zeiss 8x20 Victory and the Leica 8x20 Trinovid. I used both of these often over the years and found that I can't get a good purchase up against my brow ridge with them. I have to hold both of them slightly away from my eyes to use them. This is okay if I can brace my elbows but other than that they are useful only for quick looks.

On the other hand, I can brace my 8x25 Swarovski CL Compact up against my brow ridge and use it much like my larger binoculars. However this doesn't work when I use my Nikon 10x25 LX L because its eye cups are a not as wide as the ones on the Swarovski--not by much, but it does make a difference.

The Zeiss 8x25 Terra is with my son in Mexico now. I recall that its eye cups were similarly shaped as the ones on my Nikon 10x25 but I don't recall if I had any eye placement problems with it. I used it long enough to vet it out thoroughly and I thought it was a very good binocular given its price.

The Pentax 9x28 I have verifies your comments about 8x28 binoculars. Optically this is a pedestrian binocular with a narrow FOV and some astigmatism at the edge of the view but it is very well built and well designed around those optics. It can be purchased for less than $200.00. Perhaps because of the diameter of its objective tube its eye cups are large; much larger in diameter than the 12.5mm focal length oculars it uses. It also has 18mm ER. It is very easy to use and small enough to carry in a large flannel shirt pocket. From my personal use of it as a car binocular and then that of my son who used it for months back packing through the Andes of South America I can tell you that it is one of the best "beater" binoculars you will find.

Bob

Last edited:
The Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED pocket binoculars arrived this morning from Eagle Optics. It's all free shipping with them, but lower priced models take a week by truck rather than two days by plane.

These comments reflect my own needs, and might not apply to those of others. In order of priority, my criteria for pocket binoculars are:

1. Adequate eye relief for use with either of my two sets of eyeglasses, which differ by 1.5 mm in closeness. I can only use the Swaros with the closer fitting eyeglasses. The Leica works with either... sorta.
  2. Compact size for carry in my small Billingham shoulder bag.
  3. Minimum weight.
  4. Durable case for the instrument.
  5. Excellent optics

As mentioned earlier, my comparison binoculars are a Leica 8x20 BR, and the two older Swarovski SLCs, i.e., 8x20 and 10x25. If the Terra worked out my intention was to sell the two Swaros and retain the Leica for my wife.

Cutting to the chase, the Terra falls short on the first four counts. The usable (or effective) eye relief is no better than the Leica or Swaros, even though it's advertised having 16 mm ER. The reason for this is readily apparent: the eyecups don't retract all the way down to the frame, leaving a 1.5 mm gap between the the ocular rim and the lower eyecup rim. That reduces the ER to 14.5 mm, which is basically the same as the Swaros. The 8x25 form factor is larger than I would have hoped, so the Terra doesn't integrate well with my travel equipment. The weight is greater than the other pockets, .. marginal. The supplied instrument bag (sack, cover, whatever?) is a joke. haha.

My impressions of the optics are that they work very well. The images are crisp, color fringing is minimal, and focusing is firm and solid. For my eyes, the additional 5mm objective diameter doesn't translate to an obviously brighter image, particularly compared to the Leica.

So, all in all, the Zeiss Terra 8x25 ED isn't a keeper for me and will soon be making the journey back to EO. In the meantime, if I could address anyone's questions about the product I'd be happy to try.

Ed

A fellow BF member lend my a pair of Leica Ultravid 8x20. They are gorgeous binoculars. But, although they control stray light and lateral color better than the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 and they are equally easy to use with glasses, I found out that I not even one day prefered to carry them with me for a month. Nikons give me more apparent field of view and a brighter image and they are not far behind regarding sharpness and clarity in the sweetspot. They are also not that much bigger and heavier and I prefer their readiness, whereas I have to adjust the interpupillary distance every time I take the Leica out of the box.
Compared with the Pentax Papilio the distance between them is much greater. But Papilio has still the advantage of the ultra close focus.
This experience tells me that I will probably pass the compacts. The Monarch and Papilio are compact enough.

The usable (or effective) eye relief is no better than the Leica or Swaros, even though it's advertised having 16 mm ER. The reason for this is readily apparent: the eyecups don't retract all the way down to the frame, leaving a 1.5 mm gap between the the ocular rim and the lower eyecup rim. That reduces the ER to 14.5 mm, which is basically the same as the Swaros.
My impressions of the optics are that they work very well. The images are crisp, color fringing is minimal, and focusing is firm and solid. For my eyes, the additional 5mm objective diameter doesn't translate to an obviously brighter image, particularly compared to the Leica.

Hi Ed

thank you for for getting them and sharing your experience - especially the fact about the smaller than advertised usable ER is probably most appreciated by all those using spectacles. It would have been too good to be true to have this FoV and ER in a small package.

Regarding the brightness of the image - what were the lighting conditions when you were comparing? In bright daylight there is no difference to be expected from the larger exit pupil.

Regards,

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi Ed

thanks you for for getting them and sharing your experience - especially the fact about the smaller than advertised usable ER is probably most appreciated by all those using spectacles. It would have been too good to be true to have this FoV and ER in a small package.

Regarding the brightness of the image - what were the lighting conditions when you were comparing? In bright daylight there is no difference to be expected from the larger exit pupil.

Regards,

Joachim

This is a very good thread, and your own posts have been most helpful. So thank you! :t: Actually, your summary HERE more or less told the story except for the eye relief issue. My guess is that the reviewer was near-sighted, which generally places less demand on usable eye relief. Far-sighted people like me are generally harder to satisfy. (Eyeglass prescriptions makes a difference.)

I probably would have kept the 8x25 Terra, which is otherwise a nice utility binocular, were it not for its eyecup design that literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Why go through all the trouble of designing a real 16mm optical eye relief, only to prevent it from being used by a 1.5mm gap in the eyecup? Grrrrrr.:C

The comment about brightness wasn't very studied, but perceived brightness suggested that the Leica 8x20 probably has better transmission. I was viewing in daylight conditions with small pupils. True, under lower light conditions that might have traded off with an increase in pupil size.

Thanks,
Ed

Like it a lot

Bought a pair at 379CAN at Pelle Wings. Like it a lot ! As for the Bag: I do not remember having bought a Binoculars with a case situable for my taste so I can manage this. Wish it could have a middle course eyecap click positionning. Will be a Great outdoor companion considering $, Permormance, "Made in Japan and Warranty. I do recommand these to anyone searching for a Mid-Compact Quality Bino at a Fair price !
Lapprentis ;)

I've had two Swarovski 8x25s, but found them slightly heavier than advertised & far too heavy to keep in a shirt pocket. The Terra ED 8x25 at the Bird Fair 2015 snapped nicely into focus, but was far too loose on the bending bar, it kept drooping down when held by just one barrel. Both binos had too narrow a field & the twin hinge, which more readily moves to change the eye-width, without permission, when changing the focus or dioptre. The Nikon Sportstar Ex 8x25 is better than either because of its 143mil field, but it's still twin-hinge - I've reverted to 8x30 & larger!

I've had two Swarovski 8x25s, but found them slightly heavier than advertised & far too heavy to keep in a shirt pocket. The Terra ED 8x25 at the Bird Fair 2015 snapped nicely into focus, but was far too loose on the bending bar, it kept drooping down when held by just one barrel. Both binos had too narrow a field & the twin hinge, which more readily moves to change the eye-width, without permission, when changing the focus or dioptre. The Nikon Sportstar Ex 8x25 is better than either because of its 143mil field, but it's still twin-hinge - I've reverted to 8x30 & larger!

The Terra pockets at the Bird Fair were pre-production units so it might be useful to try them again.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back