• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Selsey Peninsula 23/04/2017 (1 Viewer)

JamesMac

Having only visited the Selsey peninsula area twice before (both to Pagham Harbour RSPB) and with the weather conditions looking excellent for some nice birds I decided that Sunday would be the day when I would visit a couple of sites on the peninsula I have never visited before.

I started mid-morning at Selsey Bill for a very short sea-watch, it was rather quiet. Although 2 Pomarine Skuas were reported a couple of hours later there was none of that sort of calibre passing when I was there. A couple of Gannets went East along with a Skua sp which I didn't see. A small group of Common Scoter went West.

It was better on land however with a couple of Swifts feeding up over the gardens and a single Grasshopper Warbler reeling and a Sedge Warbler singing in them also. I hadn't heard a Grasshopper Warbler since I visited Northumberland in 2014 so it was a treat to hear one this early. Sedge Warbler and Swift were also both new for the year.

From Selsey Bill we moved to Medmerry RSPB where a group of 3 Spoonbills had been reported while I was at the Bill. I was hopeful that they would be there, at that point I was on 999 world bird species and I had been waiting for the 1000th to turn up for quite a while. Spoonbill is one of my bogey birds, I really should have seen at least one by now!

Walking from the car park at Easton Lane the fields were alive with Skylarks singing everywhere, and multiple Common Buzzards were soaring over as well. From a ditch running alongside the track I heard a Common Whitethroat, my second of the year, and I found another singing in clear view in a bare tree just metres away from me a bit further down the track.

The first pool we saw on our left contained an unwary Little Egret fishing, a Coot and a couple of Mallard so nothing too unusual. Stilt Pool was very busy with a number of pairs of Avocet and hundreds of Black-headed Gulls. Mediterranean Gulls were flying over constantly, this was the first time I can remember them being so vocal. Their call is surprisingly (to me) different to that of a Black-headed Gull.

Looking in the other direction over the saltmarsh to the east of Stilt Pool, where the Spoonbills were reported, viewing was very difficult due to a heat haze however there were more Avocets to be seen. There was a distinct lack of Spoonbills, which I thought would be easy to spot.

I spoke to a small group of birders who said that they flew off North a couple of hours ago, only ten minutes after they were first reported, which was a bit disappointed! They also mentioned that they had seen some Yellow Wagtails feeding around the cattle which I had missed, however they must have been feeding up very briefly as they weren't there when I returned to the cattle to check. Would have been a nice year tick but hopefully there will be plenty more opportunities this spring/summer.

After a brief stop at the beach we walked back to the car the way we came. Stilt Pool had gained a Common Sandpiper and a group of Dunlin. Even better however was when I heard an unknown call from above me and then another one from a different individual - the birds flew right over my head and circled the Stilt Pool a few times. In flight I could see that they were both Little Terns, and luckily they both landed on the Stilt Pool. They were among Black-headed Gulls and the size difference was far greater than I was expecting! I haven't seen a Little Tern for quite a while so I was rather pleased.

I decided to quickly scan the saltmarsh again just in case a/the Spoonbill(s) had arrived/returned and I was quite surprised to notice a huge white blob! I could see nothing more in the heat haze except that it was a bird and a preening one too, however it was clearly too large for a Little Egret and wrong shape for a Great White Egret... I was watching my 1000th world bird!

That was an excellent way to finish off my first visit to RSPB Medmerry and I will definitely return again as soon as I can!

A lovely report of your day James.

I've visited Pagham Harbour many times, Selsey only a couple but Medmerry wasn't there in those days. Sadly I don't get there any more, as all my family are now away from the area.

I saw a Spoonbill, on a brief fly-past over Pagham Harbour! That must be at least 15/16 years ago now; but not been close since!!

A lovely report of your day James.

I've visited Pagham Harbour many times, Selsey only a couple but Medmerry wasn't there in those days. Sadly I don't get there any more, as all my family are now away from the area.

I saw a Spoonbill, on a brief fly-past over Pagham Harbour! That must be at least 15/16 years ago now; but not been close since!!

Thanks Delia, Pagham Harbour is definitely one of my favourite reserves and the current facilities there such as the visitor centre are excellent. Medmerry certainly has a lot of potential even though it's only been around for a short amount of time; it was the breeding site of the first pair of Black-winged Stilts to ever breed in Sussex! Hence the name 'Stilt Pool' for the lagoon at the far north-west of the reserve, this was where they built their nest.

Pagham Harbour and the Selsey Peninsula are excellent for overshoot migrants such as Spoonbills and although these were the first of the year there is no doubt there will be more. There was a Hoopoe the day before I visited, as well as three Purple Heron flyovers this year so far. A Cattle Egret was reported yesterday I think and it's still quite early for a number of nice overshoot species so I'm looking forward to seeing what is reported in the coming weeks and months!

James

Thanks Delia, Pagham Harbour is definitely one of my favourite reserves and the current facilities there such as the visitor centre are excellent. Medmerry certainly has a lot of potential even though it's only been around for a short amount of time; it was the breeding site of the first pair of Black-winged Stilts to ever breed in Sussex! Hence the name 'Stilt Pool' for the lagoon at the far north-west of the reserve, this was where they built their nest.

Pagham Harbour and the Selsey Peninsula are excellent for overshoot migrants such as Spoonbills and although these were the first of the year there is no doubt there will be more. There was a Hoopoe the day before I visited, as well as three Purple Heron flyovers this year so far. A Cattle Egret was reported yesterday I think and it's still quite early for a number of nice overshoot species so I'm looking forward to seeing what is reported in the coming weeks and months!

James

I saw my first Cattle Egret in a field north of the Visitor Centre, probably in the area of Marsh Farm, I think. Didn't do a great job of digiscoping him though LOL . I couldn't believe how small they were!

Is there still a hide on the lagoon side of the harbour, out on the spit? It was that area where I was standing when the Spoonbill flew across.

Did you know we have Opus articles, one for Pagham is pretty comprehensive. The one for Selsey Bill has only been started, it needs some info added to it. I think it would make sense to add Medmerry into it probably.

Have you found the hide at Chichester Marina? It was quite nice then, overlooking the old canal reed bed. No doubt it's all been cleared now though.

I saw my first Cattle Egret in a field north of the Visitor Centre, probably in the area of Marsh Farm, I think. Didn't do a great job of digiscoping him though LOL . I couldn't believe how small they were!

Is there still a hide on the lagoon side of the harbour, out on the spit? It was that area where I was standing when the Spoonbill flew across.

Did you know we have Opus articles, one for Pagham is pretty comprehensive. The one for Selsey Bill has only been started, it needs some info added to it. I think it would make sense to add Medmerry into it probably.

Have you found the hide at Chichester Marina? It was quite nice then, overlooking the old canal reed bed. No doubt it's all been cleared now though.

Marsh Farm is where the Cattle Egret is/was actually! I only saw my first British Cattle Egret a few weeks ago beside the River Cuckmere near Litlington: about time!

There is still a hide there I think however I haven't visited it before, there is also one on the Church Norton side which is regularly used as a landmark for describing the position of nice birds. I've never visited the marine or the GPs before but as they are both excellent for attracting migrants I really ought to soon!

I will check out the Opus articles.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back