• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song Sparrow Nest? (1 Viewer)

Mandy

Newbie Birdwatcher
I think this is a Song Sparrow nest. I found it this morning right outside my kitchen window! I noticed a bird flying in and out of the bush so I got up for a closer look and sure enough I could barely make out the little babies moving around in there. I grabbed my camera and snapped off a few shots. I'll be trying to get a few shots every day to every other day to watch their progress. I just don't want to over do it and disturb the parents.

If this is a Song Sparrow, do any of you know how tolerant they are of people? I'm not at all intending to touch the nest or over stay my welcome, but I really don't want to do anything else inadvertantly that would cause them stress.

Also, do you have any clue how old these babies might be? I really want to watch closely them until they leave the nest which I know will be too soon!

Last question, will this same pair use the same nest for it's next clutch?

Here are some pics:

sparrow6.jpg

sparrow4.jpg

sparrow1.jpg

sparrow2.jpg

sparrow3.jpg

One of the parents.
sparrow5.jpg

sparrow7.jpg

Yes, Song Sparrow. The babies look to be a few days-old anyway & will probably leave the nest within a week or 10 days. Song Sparrows normally do not reuse old nests.

The parents are unlikely to desert the nest at this stage, but it’s still not a good idea to get too close. There’s not only the danger of drawing the attention of potential predators to the nest, but there’s also the possibility (later on, when they’re older) that you’ll startle the young into leaving the nest prematurely.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back