• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (3 Viewers)

Longham lake today

2 little egrets, 2 green woodpeckers, 2 adult common gulls
44 wigeon shared between the two lakes.
Chris

Meant to post earlier, but 40 med gulls at Radipole in a brief check on Thursday morning, of all plumages too.

Today - 12 spoonbills at Shipstal Point, Arne

Last edited:
Meds at Radipole, one ringed with white ring E203.
Chris

Attachments

• P1040425.jpg
    P1040425.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 45
  • P1040434.jpg
    P1040434.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 53
There have been reports at Hatch Pond already of bitterns, but I've dipped three times.
Chris

I apologize but I went around sunset today and had a fantastic 20 minute view of a Bittern. Just on the waters edge with a glorious reflection. If only I had a camera! First attempt this year as well.

Also Kingfisher and Cetti's calling

Longham Lakes 16/11/2010 1000 to 1145

Amazing effects from the mist rising off the lakes as the sun got to work.

Intermittent views but at shortish range through swirls of mist allowed us to see enough to identify a redhead Smew on the small lake. Just about to scope it when a couple of walkers came by and scared it off into the thicker mist, (rough notes made). Had a good look before leaving, when the sun had burnt off all the mist, but no sign on either lake. But ducks were moving about all over the place in small flocks or singly.

In addition
Canada Goose 13 arrived from up river(west) and left late morning down river (east).
Little Egret 10 roosting and preening on the large island.
Wigeon 45
Pochard 5
Herring Gull 6
Common Gull 2
Reed Bunting 1

I actually had my camera with me but couldn't get any pics til late morning.

Ray (and Pat)

Last edited:
Longham Lakes

Despite grim conditions went to see if the Smew was still around to get better views. No luck. However extraordinary sight of 15 Little Egrets spaced out along the south side of the small lake.

Ray (without Pat!)

Hi, by some fortunate accident (I doubt that it's my doing) |:d| the desktop shortcut opens to this window, great.
We haven't been to Longham Lakes for ages but will give it a try when the weather improves. Still stuck looking at garden birds through the window, and there's not many of them about.

Longham lake today

2 fieldfares and 3 black tailed godwits on the flooded fields.
58 wigeon and 24 teal on the lakes, with 15 little egrets in total around the site.
Chris

Harry Hill

Maybe if one of the Longham regulars spent a bit more time looking for the anticipated rarity and a bit less time repeating what bald comedians say...;););)

Maybe if one of the Longham regulars spent a bit more time looking for the anticipated rarity and a bit less time repeating what bald comedians say...;););)

I do not understand who this refers to.

This mornings Little Egret count hit 19. All resting on N island.

Either I have lost the plot or you have. What is this all about?????

Dominic, who was on Autumn watch with Martin Hughes Gaines (or whetever his name is) was one of the clips that Harry Hill took the p*ss out of on TV burp. Then Dominic appeared on set repeating everything that harry said, just as he himself had done with MHG.

I guess you had to see it, but it was comedy gold.
Not on youtube yet but I'll keep my eyes open.
watch it on itv player
http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=191673

Chris

Longham Lakes 0930-1130 23 Nov

Little wind at first but began to freshen by the end and b****y cold. Lots of walkers about and some people from a tree company checking out the southern plantation of young trees.

There were initially only 19 Cormorants but they did begin to pick up during the morning.
Duck numbers good
Wigeon 41; Teal 21; Gadwall 13; Pochard 4; lots of Tufties and Mallard.
Adult female Goldeneye flushed by a walker and flew from the large lake to the small north lake. Still there when we left. Excellent views.

Heron 5; Little Egret 15

Green Sandpiper 1 flushed from near southern pump house and flew to the north end of large lake.

Thrushes, Starlings and finches increasing in numbers.
Fieldfare 8; Redwing 3; Song Thrush 2 and what appears to be increased numbers of Blackbirds and Robins
Male Stonechat on the western fields near flood pools.

Common Gull 7; Herring Gull 6; Lesser B B Gull 1; Greater B B Gull 2.

Along with all the other bits and pieces an excellent morning birding

Ray and Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back