• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Watermarks (1 Viewer)

Freako

Not sure if this is the right place for this, please move if needed. How/What do you guys use to watermark your images with Copyright etc? Thanks Mick.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, please move if needed. How/What do you guys use to watermark your images with Copyright etc? Thanks Mick.

ANY imaging software, paintshoppro X3 I use all you have to do is create a layer and apply it, simples

One thing you want to avoid Mick is putting your text in too prominent a place on your image, nothing worse than a good image being ruined by large text being displayed right across the image. Try to use small text in one of the bottom corners, make the text colour suit the image. BTW if you want to use the © symbol then on windows systems this is achieved by using the Alt + 0169 keys.

One thing you want to avoid Mick is putting your text in too prominent a place on your image, nothing worse than a good image being ruined by large text being displayed right across the image. Try to use small text in one of the bottom corners, make the text colour suit the image. BTW if you want to use the © symbol then on windows systems this is achieved by using the Alt + 0169 keys.

Thanks for that Roy.

Hi Roy, the Alt + 0169 does not work for me?

Do you not feel with many pictures if the text is small and in the corner the image can be stolen and cropped to avoid the copyright notice?

Not quite sure what you mean here, are you saying it should cover from one side to the other?

Of course not, common sense, you place a watermark, mine was an extreme example, use the opacity setting, where it is hard to remove, on a birds body for example.

Do you not feel with many pictures if the text is small and in the corner the image can be stolen and cropped to avoid the copyright notice?

You will never see a professional photographer who makes a living from his work do this, it covers the photo, albeit with a setting on opacity of say 15%

. . .nothing worse than a good image being ruined by large text being displayed right across the image. .

I agree, definitely to be avoided.

How big a problem is theft, anyway? I never mark my photos in any way & as far as I know none has ever been “stolen”. Not that I would care much if they were, as I’m not a professional & have no interest in selling or otherwise making money from my work.

With today's tools like content aware fill and the patch tool even big ugly text can easily be removed (there is no need to crop even). But my point is that if you feel you have to ruin the image by putting such ugly text over it then why even bother to post it on the web in the first place??? as I said earlier, it just ruins a good image.
If you care to have a look around the web their are 'zillions' of top class images by some of the very best photographers without these ugly marks - Art Morris is widely recognised as being one of the worlds best bird photographers and he has loads of stuff on the web without these ugly marks, in fact he does not mark them at all!

The funny thing is that in my experience, in the main it is only poor Photographers with images so bad that no one would want to steal them anyway that tend to ruin web shots with big ugly text.
Any pro who does want to protect his work tends not to post them on the web anyway or if they do it is usually a very low res.

It is not as if anyone is going to be able to print a high res magazine print from, say, a 800 pixel image.

In Summary I can think of no good reason why anyone would want to post an image on the web and purposely destroy it by putting big ugly text all over it, it certainly does not do the photographers reputation any good. If you feel this strongly then do not post on the web.
Like 'Fugi' says above how big is image theft anyway!

Last edited:
You will never see a professional photographer who makes a living from his work do this,
Absolutely wrong, I could point you to umpteen thousands of superb bird images on the web from some of the worlds best pro bird photographers and they do not put all this ugly text all over it - why would they as it does nothing to enhance their reputation. HERE is a link to just one site with some of the finest bird and nature images you are likely to see and I can guarantee you will not see any of this big text rubbish on them.

I am sure for the vast majority of people one look at a web image with this rubbish all over it and the first they do is click the 'back' button and get away from it as quick as they can.

You will never see a professional photographer who makes a living from his work do this, it covers the photo, albeit with a setting on opacity of say 15%

More or less what I was implying. A copyright which allows the image to be cropped to avoid it is in my opinion useless.

HERE is a link to just one site with some of the finest bird and nature images you are likely to see and I can guarantee you will not see any of this big text rubbish on them.

This link leads to a website which says "I started digital photography Five years ago and it became a huge passion and a wonderful hobby that I use to my fullest in my spare time." So clearly not a professional photographer. JSER was mentioning professionals.

Personally I don't find large text across an image a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back