• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Watermarks (1 Viewer)

More or less what I was implying. A copyright which allows the image to be cropped to avoid it is in my opinion useless.
See my post above, there are plenty of the very best pro bird snappers that only use a small piece of text on their web images (usually on the bottom) so the statement that you will not see a pro doing it is just not true. Most people do not put text on their images as an attempt to stop people pinching them rather than to let people know who they are or to advertise a web site etc..

If anyone is paranoid about having a low res web image 'stolen' then the easy answer is not to post on public web sites. Posting images with 'crap' text all over them is pointless IMO - better not to bother at all.

These days I reckon the chances of anyone having a low res image stolen on the web is probably less than one in umpteen million On Flickr alone there is 6 million images a day uploaded and you would be hard pushed to find even one with big text

I never said that I wanted to put a watermark on my images to stop them being used, in fact that certainly is not the reason I asked how to watermark images, but there is a reason. I thank those of you who took the time to try and help me. Please carry on your discussion if you wish. thanks Mick

This link leads to a website which says "I started digital photography Five years ago and it became a huge passion and a wonderful hobby that I use to my fullest in my spare time." So clearly not a professional photographer. JSER was mentioning professionals.

Personally I don't find large text across an image a problem.
You obviously have not even bothered to look at the many thousands of shots by several hundred different photographers on that site- many of which are pro's

How about Art Morris's blog HERE OR our own Nigel Blake HERE and HERE to name just two professionals.

If you are not bothered by large text across an image then that is fine but I guarantee most people are because it does nothing to enhance the image and is one of the biggest turn off's going.
Just look in the Bird Forum Gallery that contains over 300,000 images and you will be very hard pushed to find one with big text over the image. Are you saying that your images are better than any of the 300,000 on BF so you must protect them ;) (not to mention the 6 million a day that are up-loaded to Flickr).

These days such ugly text over an image is mostly used by amateurs on an ego trip to try to make it look as if they are important but in reality there is not chance in hell that one of their shots will be stolen so why ruin a good shot.

Absolutely wrong, I could point you to umpteen thousands of superb bird images on the web from some of the worlds best pro bird photographers and they do not put all this ugly text all over it - why would they as it does nothing to enhance their reputation. HERE is a link to just one site with some of the finest bird and nature images you are likely to see and I can guarantee you will not see any of this big text rubbish on them.

I am sure for the vast majority of people one look at a web image with this rubbish all over it and the first they do is click the 'back' button and get away from it as quick as they can.

My personal opinion is I care not for yours, it was simply an opinion and mine, no law against it I assume, this is a chat/forum.

In fact The originator never stated why he wanted to use a watermark, if there is no point then why bother.

He clearly stated (C) if that is all then stick a full name and addres sin 4 point in a corner.

I certainly DO care which is why Patrick Moores maps are printed over on my website. Sales by reputation alone.

Last edited:
I never said that I wanted to put a watermark on my images to stop them being used, in fact that certainly is not the reason I asked how to watermark images, but there is a reason. I thank those of you who took the time to try and help me. Please carry on your discussion if you wish. thanks Mick

Perhaps then next time an explanation as to why a question is asked would help.

Perhaps then next time an explanation as to why a question is asked would help.

With respect I asked for help and you kindly offered some, I have since thanked you for that. I do not have to explain why I want to learn how to do this. I am sorry if my post has caused some issues.

My personal opinion is I care not for yours, it was simply an opinion and mine, no law against it I assume, this is a chat/forum.
It was you who made the absolute statement "You will never see a professional photographer who makes a living from his work do this" all I did was to disprove your statement.

Perhaps if you want to get involved in the chat and earn peoples peoples respect then you should not make such sweeping statements especially as you are now saying that it was just an opinion. It seems to me that you think we are all idiots on this forum and you are here to put us all right.

If you are not bothered by large text across an image then that is fine but I guarantee most people are because it does nothing to enhance the image and is one of the biggest turn off's going.

For you but not for everyone.

Just look in the Bird Forum Gallery that contains over 300,000 images and you will be very hard pushed to find one with big text over the image. Are you saying that your images are better than any of the 300,000 on BF so you must protect them ;) (not to mention the 6 million a day that are up-loaded to Flickr).

You seem to have lost track of the discussion. I have never said I even take photos let alone that any I MAY take would be better than anyone else. Reread the thread and you will see I was merely expressing my opinion which I thought was what the forum was for. Sorry if I got that wrong.

These days such ugly text over an image

I repeat that is merely your opinion I and a number of people I know (not daft enough to be on this forum) don't agree.

is mostly used by amateurs on an ego trip to try to make it look as if they are important but in reality there is not chance in hell that one of their shots will be stolen so why ruin a good shot.

Again it is merely your opinion as is my view which appears to be and probably always will be contrary to yours.

I think each person here has got his or her own point.
I am not a professional, and have never sold any photos.
Personally I do not like large letter across the photo too, but I have been asked by someone met in the field to send him photos, just to find out later he dispatched them to any person he knew without any acknowledgement, this is annoying, so to him I usually put BIG letters across. I also found at one time my photo appeared in the Blog of someone I do not know (but is a member of the same forum).
I actually do not mind people using my photos so long they let me know (even he or she use them for commercial.

Last edited:
If anyone is paranoid about having a low res web image 'stolen' then the easy answer is not to post on public web sites. Posting images with 'crap' text all over them is pointless IMO - better not to bother at all.

These days I reckon the chances of anyone having a low res image stolen on the web is probably less than one in umpteen million On Flickr alone there is 6 million images a day uploaded and you would be hard pushed to find even one with big text

I suspect that image theft goes on a lot more than you'd think. I'm nowhere near as active as many out there yet I have had a number of images lifted and used without permission (both reproduced on websites without credit and used in print from low res files). I do watermark images, but only as a way of pointing people to my website... it does get tempting to make the watermark much more prominent when you see your images being lifted.

I suspect that image theft goes on a lot more than you'd think. I'm nowhere near as active as many out there yet I have had a number of images lifted and used without permission (both reproduced on websites without credit and used in print from low res files). I do watermark images, but only as a way of pointing people to my website... it does get tempting to make the watermark much more prominent when you see your images being lifted.

I know somebody who put a shot of a murmuration of starlings near Carlisle. Put it on the web with no large copyright only to find it being used by an American photographer who when contacted insisted he had taken the shot.

The shape of the murmuration and the view point were identical and there had been no other photographer present. By all means publish shots with out good clear copyright providing you don't mind others profiting from your work.

These things aren't bullet proof. Anyone determined enough could remove them. What they are is a deterrent.

Hmmm its a tricky one.

I think its helpful for providing detail of who took the shot. For example a nice signature in the corner. Almost like an artist singing his work.

I stopped adding this a couple of years ago as it detracts from the image. I wouldn't really look at an image that has text or a watermark over the subject. Not even sure why these pictures are shared. Again to me like sharing the Mona Lisa with a logo across her face.

As for theft. Its a tricky one and difficult to limit.

Anyway. Sorry to the OP for going off subject.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back