• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta S2 82 HD stay on case (1 Viewer)

andrea86bert

Hi to all.
What do you think about the stay on case in the image below? Is it helpful in the field? Has it any drawback?

Thank you!

Andrea

Attachments

• 51IAjSIPzEL._SY355_.jpg
    51IAjSIPzEL._SY355_.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 100
Hi Andrea,
Sadly a stay on case only becomes helpful if you drop the scope, otherwise it's just something else (along with, extending and locking the tripod legs, freeing the pan and tilt locks on the head, lining the scope up) that hinders you getting on that dazzling, fleeting, once in a lifetime bird as it burns across the horizon. Also, the case looks quite padded around that focus wheel maybe restricting you to use finger and thumb. I got that hacked off with my stay on case, in the end I slung it and wrapped the scope in camo-tape. I make sure the rubber cap is always on the lens when I'm not viewing, and I made a DIY cover for the eyepiece which I've tethered to the scope's foot. Not everyone's cup of tea of course, but I'm OK with it.

It does make focusing a bit clumsier, and the objective flap is very snug. Overall I find it more practical than the oversized carrying case.

Thank you very much to all!
I have the Meopta S2 and it came with the case, which I never use, for reasons in post 2 above. Helical focussers and SOC's don't mix. The only SOC I ever liked was the tight neoprene one on the old Zeiss Victory 85mm, and that was only useful because the scope body was metal and cold to the touch in winter.

My answer is late...
For my Meopta, I use a SOC Kite for Swaro ATS 80.
The main advantage is that the focuser turns freely. And I can use finger and thumb because there is a "hole" under the SOC.
I believe that the genuine model Meopta (or Swaro !) hampers little the focusing wheel.

Attachments

• DSC04598rec.JPG
    DSC04598rec.JPG
    395.4 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back