• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

digiscoping connections (1 Viewer)

george d sharp said:
I am looking to match a Viking AV80 Scope to a Canon EOS350D, can anyone help please?.
Hi George welcome to birdforum from all the staff here, we hope you enjoy the site.

First off, I'm not a big fan of dslr use with scopes, and far prefer a compact digital camera for the task.

There are two ways to go about it with a dslr.
1; Purchasing a 35mm photo adapter for your scope (if one is available from the scope manufacturer... this adapter replaces the eyepiece and can have a EOS T-2 mount to fit your camera, therefore making the scope and your camera one unit.
Baiscally the scope becomes a manual focus prime lens, usually around 800mm or so focal length, and f8+ aperture (it will be a fixed aperture).

2; Something more akin to digiscoping, where-by you place a suitable small lens on your dslr and basically hold it up to the eyepiece... there are some support type brackets that can hold a dslr up to the eyepiece, but which one for your scope is a mystery to me.

Hopefully those with more experience using a dslr + scope in the latter method will chime in with better advice.

cheers,
Andy

George,
I'm not a big fan of DSLR plus scope either due for the need for manual focusing which I'm not very good at.
The easiest way is to use a standard 50 mm lens , which usually has a 52 mm filter thread (switch off Auto focus ) and find an adapter or an eyepiece with a thread to match with it. You may have to step down or up the filter size with an additional ring, Neil.

Hi George
I have been using the Viking AV80 Scope for Digiscoping for well over a year now! The adapter I use is the large version of the F-Adapter which is made by Foxfoto and is available through ebay (Just type Digiscoping in to the search box should get you to the right seller).

The F-Adaptor is basically an aluminium casting which fits over the eyepiece with the rubber bit folded down it is fixed by three screws which expand an internal sprung steel strip which will touch the eyepiece at three points. The adaptor (Large version) has a 52mm external thread on the main body which can take a reduction ring (in my case this is a 52mm to 28mm to fit my Coolpix 4500 camera) But I understand that other sizes are available to fit other cameras! And there is also a smaller size F-Adaptor for smaller size eyepieces on other scopes. I also understand there is also another bit of kit available to fit the F-Adapter which is called the Universal Adapter which allows cameras without a lens threads to be connected to the scope via the camera screw.

I have found the F-Adapter to be easy to use and quick to fit! The main body can be left on the scope once fitted in the field! Allowing the scope to be used as a normal scope only needing the camera and any adaptor ring to be fitted when required.

One point I will make is that since buying the adapter I have made one small but time saving change to the main body and that is I have added a small mark which matches another mark I have placed on the eyepiece body with a non -damaging sticky label so that the adapter is fitted in the same place each time! This means that when the camera is fitted it always ends up the right way up! The F-Adapter itself cost me around about £25.00 including postage. Which I feel is a bargain! And at the time I brought it was a great relief. I hope this may be of use to you. Kevin

I use, and am a fan of prime focus with my scope and Nikon D70, and have a just a little niggle about using afocal projection with such a heavy camera, let alone with a lens attached first!

Just make sure that if you go this way (scope/eyepiece/adaptor/lens/camera), you have a safety line fitted so that the camera will not fall free if something gives :) It will also unbalance the tripod to a much greater extent than using prime focus.

I would also say, apart from not giving such a big magnification as afocal, that prime focus (scope/T2 mount/camera) will give better quality images due to there being a lot less glass in the optical path, hence less distortion - unless we are talking ED glass throughout :)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back