• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best cable release? (1 Viewer)

revs45

punk birder
just wondering what the best cable release on the market is.
i've tried lot's of different ones over the past half year and have yet to find a really good one.

Depends on the camera model.

For Nikon CP990-CP4500 the Eagle Eye wing bracket is by far the best - it's durable and will last a lifetime and available in the USA on the link above.

I've used other brands in the UK made by Jessops and another Eagle Eye product, the Generic Shutter Release - both of which fit any camera with a tripod bush - but they're not as durable. If used frequently the socket where the cable release screws in always wears out, but they still lasts a couple of years of heavy use.

I've used other brands in the UK made by Jessops and another Eagle Eye product, the Generic Shutter Release - both of which fit any camera with a tripod bush - but they're not as durable. If used frequently the socket where the cable release screws in always wears out, but they still lasts a couple of years of heavy use.

Mine lasted only a couple of months. SRB Griturn make a more robust one that hasn't let me down yet.

How long ago Stu?

The Jessops one used to have a plastic thread to take the cable, but they replaced them a while ago with metal ones which are much more duarable - I guess they got fed up with the likes of me returning them for a replacement ;)

The Generic Shutter Release is all metal - I got mine a few years ago though.

cheers all, suppose i'll just bulk up with whatever is available here, better to have at least one spare in the field after all.

How long ago Stu?

The Jessops one used to have a plastic thread to take the cable, but they replaced them a while ago with metal ones which are much more duarable - I guess they got fed up with the likes of me returning them for a replacement ;)

The Generic Shutter Release is all metal - I got mine a few years ago though.

It (The Eagle Eye one) was last year. It was made of metal but the threads still wore out.

Oh and the 'arm' kept slipping off too...........I had to reorder the whole thing after I lost the one small part after 1 month. And then the threads wore out on the second one.

Maybe I was just unlucky...........

It (The Eagle Eye one) was last year. It was made of metal but the threads still wore out.

Oh and the 'arm' kept slipping off too...........I had to reorder the whole thing after I lost the one small part after 1 month. And then the threads wore out on the second one.

Maybe I was just unlucky...........

Also had the Generic shutter release but only lasted a month (the new metal verson). I've reviewed threads on the SRB shutter release and posts show good results. That will e my next purchase. the shiping to U.S. was reasonable.

also ordered the SRB for DSLR, still waiting to receive,, looked like one of the better built on the street,,

will let ya know what I think of it after receiving,, will be using on an Oly E500 and a Nikon P5000

I bought Jessops cable release the other week after having ordered a Baader universal adapter which cost about £30. I nearly died when Jessops asked for £24.99 for the cable release which must have about one fiftieth of the amount of material and one hundreth of the machine work compared to the Baader!!!

cheers
Gordon

received my SRB yesterday and really happy with the way it is made and operates,, I bought the one made for a DSLR with an angled release button,, will operate in about any position you could want and is all metal construction,, should last me for many years,, comes with an 18" release cable,,

shipping to the USA was reasonable and quick,,

give em a look,,

http://www.srb-griturn.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=1

wanted to update my findings on my SRB DSLR cable release,,

it has worked very well on all our cameras which include,,

Oly E500
Oly 810 stylus
Nikon P5000
Nikon 990
Canon A95

is all metal (mostly stainless) construction and I cannot imagine any camera it would not work on (no large format camers now) that we are using for digiscoping,,

I did not care for the way the release button would lock down for every photo and have since taped the lock ring in place so it releases instanly after each photo,,

would also have like to see some form of a T handle for my first two fingers ( I & M ) to secure in while my thumb is pressing the release,, will work on making a custom one,,

over-all I would goive the release I bought a 8.5 out of a 10,,

thanks for the info Derry, i had a look at the website and it does look like a pretty sweet piece of cable.
i too would have a problem with release button lockdown and lack of T handle i think.
just want to say that the stock cable release that came with my FSB-6 bracket is working wonderfully, i don't know if it's the angle of thread now as opposed to the vertical position of previous brackets but it works like butter, another thing that seems to be making a huge difference is the addition of a cable release trigger holder on the bracket - before the cable release would swing around since i tend to carry my tripod (w/ scope and camera attached for discreet setup) around like a caveman with a spear in one hand.

now everything is solid, no wiggle.

Last edited:
received my SRB yesterday and really happy with the way it is made and operates,, I bought the one made for a DSLR with an angled release button,, will operate in about any position you could want and is all metal construction,, should last me for many years,, comes with an 18" release cable,,

shipping to the USA was reasonable and quick,,

give em a look,,

http://www.srb-griturn.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=1

Hi Derry,

Thanks for mentioning the SRB DSLR shutter release adapter.

I had purchased the SRB adapter for the compact camera about a year back and the vertical metal rod became loose where it mounted to the base and it would spin freely. I procrastinated exchanging it for another one.

I have been using the Eagle Eye Adapter but can't find a cable that fits it well besides the two you can purchase from Eagle Eye. The older eagle eye was black correct?

I wrote them a email and they did mention they were using the Hasselblad thread standard on the adapter. I did a search online but didn't find any Hasselblad cable releases.

I just ordered the SRB DSLR adapter. :)

Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back