• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Ornaments in your garden (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Do any of you have any bird ornaments in your garden? I have a plastic goose,owl,2 ducks,Magpie,Pigeon and a Rabbit my Mum dislikes gnomes but she loves the bird gnomes is what I like to call them it makes my garden nice. Actually the Owl isn't plastic it's hard it was one of these things that make a noise if you go past it. I had put it on the window ledge n everytime people walked past it hoot it kind of annoyed people when it started hoiting non stop I decided to switch it off and use it as a decoration in my garden.

I've got a small plastic cockerel and hen, which are exactly like my real-life versions but smaller, and I have a small stone dove, a stone cockerel, a stone cocker spaniel, and a mole! :t:

I have 4 tiny windmills... a chickadee, a loon, an owl and a dragonfly! I also have two little statues that aren't birds. One is a boy holding a water dish and one is a little girl holding a seed dish that I put more water in. They're adorable! :) I don't think you have too many things like this in one garden! :)

Our bird bath came with two small sparrow sized ornaments which sit in the bath permanently. They keep the squirrel company.

I keep expecting the Sparrowhawk to pick one up but it hasn't made that mistake - yet!

I completely forgot my little standing rabbit -- quite nearly hidden under the Krossa Regal hosta (now nearly 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide, thanks to all our spring rains), and the tiny dragonfly windchime at the end of the walk!

We've had this concrete owl for years, its only about 6 inches high and I have no idea what its supposed to be and I actually went through my RSPB guide once when lying in the sun.
We've also recently acquired a plastic grey squirrel from a late departed relative. I think its bigger than lifesize and since we've had it we have seen a grey squirrel around abouts. Never noticed one before.

Gnome-frog pair

This is an old thread, but I'd like to relate what happened some years ago. I had in my front yard a guitar-playing gnome and a separate frog that sits cross-legged like a laid-back human being, the frog is positioned such that it listens to the musician gnome. The pair is under a bush that I pruned to form a canopy, a really whimsical sight. Guess what, someone stole that gnome-frog pair!

do re meep meep said:
This is an old thread, but I'd like to relate what happened some years ago. I had in my front yard a guitar-playing gnome and a separate frog that sits cross-legged like a laid-back human being, the frog is positioned such that it listens to the musician gnome. The pair is under a bush that I pruned to form a canopy, a really whimsical sight. Guess what, someone stole that gnome-frog pair!

Some people will rob anything not mindful of the simple joy it gives someone else. But it reminded me of a couple of things.

A friend of mine had a gnome stolen from the garden and then after few months after got a ransom note saying that if they didnt give money to the Children in Need charity the gnome would get it. They did and a few weeks later the gnome was left on the door step, but it had a blindfold on.

Its been done lots of times but there's the other scenario where the gnome gets nicked and then the householder starts to get post cards from the gnome from all over the world saying it is on holiday or back packing. Then one day turns up again.

A work colleague had a plastic Troll doll taken from her desk and then for months got photo's of it from various holiday resorts sunbathing, visiting the Parthenon, surf boarding, and the best one was one of it buried up to its neck in the sand supposedly on a Florida beach. Then that turned up again.

No return of the Jedi

Bill@dwp said:
<snip>...Then that turned up again.

Gosh, am I glad that the stolen gnome and frog did not haunt me :eek!:

I still have the canopy bush under which they were placed, it is an ordinary globe cedar that I pruned into an umbrella shape, I am in fact very happy with the plant itself :bounce:

Perhaps I should burn some incense there to prevent them from returning ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back