Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Friday 11th November 2005, 03:53   #1
buckskin hawk
Oklahoma Birder

Sparrows return-They brought friends

I spent about 2 hours on the trails at my local nature center, Oxley. We have had our second "cold" front. It was 88 two days ago and today's high was only 66 so more birds are joining us. With most of the leaves fallen, I had some really good looks. I have listed the notable ones below.

Some sparrows are really stuborn however. They were scurrying through the fallen and matted tall grasses. This behavior is very much like a Henslows but they weren't making that muffled hick-up. They were just running under the grasses. Henslows just don't want to come out of the grass.

Common Loon
Green-winged Teal
northern Shoveler
Red Tailed Hawk
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson's Snipe
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Sedge Wren
Ruby Crowned Kinglet
Chipping Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Vesper's Sparrow
White Crowned Sparrow
White Throated Sparrow
Hermit Thrush
Red winged Blackbird

I have marked the new additions to my local list and several are additions to my year list as well. The weather was absolutely perfect. This spot is a mere 10 minutes from the airport and the only draw back is the air traffic overhead.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: