• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (1 Viewer)

While I keep pressing the Frame Assist button of the SX50, waiting for a bird to re-appear from a bush, often another bird appears, and I can "fire" immediately. I found this feature useful, profiting from a shorter zoom position to get a first shot of a possibly shy bird. I don't have the SX60, but it sounds like the option to fire directly could suffer from the "darkening".

Two more shots from my first outing with the SX60:

Per my previous posts (one and two), this was my first outing and trying alot of things and only half knowing how to use it (despite a read of the basic user guide). I expect to get better photos next time out since I downloaded the full manual and dug-in a bit more. I've already spent some time re-adjusting my settings and learning how to read/view the histograms for my next trip out.

I didn't have any problem with this idea at all. Photoshop uses the same user interface for cropping, among other things. Just takes some getting use to.

Granted, I wish I could make the "undark" portion larger (you can only make it smaller than default), but I still found it very useful.

For example, very handy when photographing ducks at long range like the bufflehead and surf scoters which tend to dive very often and quickly and pop-up elsewhere nearby but out-of-frame.

Yes, the SX60's Frame Assist works ok for birds on water, wading or perched in the open. But try to use it to find a small bird against a busy background, or track a BIF against a bright sky and you'll tear your hair out.

While I keep pressing the Frame Assist button of the SX50, waiting for a bird to re-appear from a bush, often another bird appears, and I can "fire" immediately. I found this feature useful, profiting from a shorter zoom position to get a first shot of a possibly shy bird. I don't have the SX60, but it sounds like the option to fire directly could suffer from the "darkening".

It took me almost a year of using the frame assist on the SX50 to realize I COULD go ahead and shoot something with the zoom retracted, duh. I agree it's very a useful feature, not only in the scenario you describe, but also when a fast moving bird flies over and it would be next to impossible to track if zoomed out.
I don't know if the darkened frame of the SX60 would affect the actual image taken while zoomed out, might just be something you see in the viewfinder. I never tried it, probably because I could never SEE anything in that part of the frame to know it was there to be had! I did try to shoot some flyovers with the zoom in the retracted position but I could never find them, cause so much of the field of view was darkened.
I think this "improvement" has to be one of the "stupidist" changes ever made to a camera.....I mean, really.....provide a nice, bright EVF and then black out most of the image to "help" find the subject......?!!! Makes me wonder if the people who design cameras ever use them.

I agree it's very a useful feature, not only in the scenario you describe, but also when a fast moving bird flies over and it would be next to impossible to track if zoomed out.
Exactly. Waiting for a Gold crest, suddenly you notice a falcon or hawk in the sky. Getting an image or not can be a matter of 2-3 seconds. The option to take a shot with the zoom retracted is pure gold in such a case.

This darkening thing with frame assist on the SX60 sounds really strange. Frame Assist seek on the SX50 simply retracts the zoom when pressed. Goes back to where it was when released. Super handy. No darkening thing. The EVF is always showing WYSISYG as it moves including staying in focus. What's this darkening behavior on the SX60?

those are really nice shots your getting there kevin,wish I could get results like that,4 from me the greenfinch was a through the branches shot and im surprised the camera managed to focus,the third pic was iso1600 unfortunately (first light)the last pic I included because its not often you see a cormorant scratching itself on a town lamppost

Attachments

• greenfinch.JPG
    greenfinch.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 177
  • bhgull.JPG
    bhgull.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 152
  • cormorant2.JPG
    cormorant2.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 170
  • cormorant.JPG
    cormorant.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 144
those are really nice shots your getting there kevin,wish I could get results like that,4 from me the greenfinch was a through the branches shot and im surprised the camera managed to focus,the third pic was iso1600 unfortunately (first light)the last pic I included because its not often you see a cormorant scratching itself on a town lamppost
What settings are you using? I was using Tv (shutter priority) and using at least 1/500 as I recall (EXIF data should be on all my photos).

And to be fair, I do post-process...mostly curve and contrast adjustments in Photoshop, and because the photos are reduced to 33% for the Gallery, I apply Unsharp Mask (90%) to compensate for both the reduction and for the JPEG compression (which by nature both amount to a small blur).

I liked your gull, you didn't clip the white like I was (I didn't post any of the horrible white bird photos...). One of my highest goals is white birds...White-Tailed Kites and Egrets are favorites of mine. You also seem to have less graininess, but maybe you weren't using the digital teledapter settings?

Admittedly, your shots seem a bit soft, but depending on how far away, perhaps inevitable?

If anyone is that curious, I could post my current shutter priority settings...but honestly I'm not doing anything I didn't learn already to do on my Nikon Coolpix 4500, and the shots I posted so far have been in severe overcast, or very contrasty, intermittant sun...supposedly a problem for the SX60.

I haven't had the chance to try "birds in the brush" yet. Those were basically impossible when I was digiscoping (couldn't find and manually focus the scope that fast), so not generally shots I'm in the habit of looking for.

Last edited:
tv mode is the setting I use most of the time and usually a shutter speed of 320/ ,after constantly getting wrongly exposed pics I started just using sports mode (these 4 pics all sports mode)I also have the camera on auto iso,on sports mode all the colours and exposure are ok it must be something to do with the other settings,here is a pic I took a couple of weeks ago of a very distant bullfinch on tv mode 320/ I use photshop elements 11 but only do sharpening/colour adjustments and contrast changes

Attachments

• buul.jpg
    buul.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 306
Settings used:

MODE DIAL: Tv (Shutter Priority)
AF FRAME: (disabled)
DIGITAL ZOOM: 2.0x
AF-POINT ZOOM: (disabled)
SERVO AF: On
CONTINUOUS AF: On
AF-ASSIST BEAM: Off
MF-POINT ZOOM: Off
SAFETY MF: On
RECALL ZOOM: Off / Off
MF PEAKING: On / High / Red
FLASH: Off
ISO AUTO: Max ISO Speed: 1600
HIGH ISO NR: Standard
SPOT AE POINT: AF Point
SAFETY SHIFT: On
IS SETTINGS: Continuous

Also:

Continuous Shooting AF
Normal Focus Mode (not Macro or Manual)
ISO Auto
White Balance assigned to Video button, used Cloudy preset
Metering is Center Weighted Average
4:3 Aspect Ratio
JPEG 16M files (still not ready for RAW yet)
Large File Size
Superfine Quality
DR Correction Off

That should be everything?

cheers for that info kevin,my settings were totally different, re your af frame disabled ,the only choice I get are face detect/tracking af/flexizone this is in tv mode

This darkening thing with frame assist on the SX60 sounds really strange. Frame Assist seek on the SX50 simply retracts the zoom when pressed. Goes back to where it was when released. Super handy. No darkening thing. The EVF is always showing WYSISYG as it moves including staying in focus. What's this darkening behavior on the SX60?

Crazy, the frame assist on the SX60 works like the one on the SX50, except that when the lens is retracted the whole perimeter of the frame goes dark; only a small square in the middle is lit. I guess it's supposed to let you know what portion of the frame will be in the final image, but in some settings (lower light, busy background, back-lit sky) it also keeps you from being able to follow a bird if it moves out of that little square. Kind of defeats the purpose of the thing, at least the way I use it.....and I use it a lot.

I love my SX50. The only reason I bought the SX60 was for the better viewfinder. I can deal with the one on the SX50 most of the time, but in really challenging conditions, like trying to pick out a particular warbler in a mixed flock, it can keep me from getting the shot. The irony is, the SX50's "old" Frame Assist, together with the SX60's new viewfinder would have been awesome....but Canon had to go and "fix" the part that wasn't broke.

cheers for that info kevin,my settings were totally different, re your af frame disabled ,the only choice I get are face detect/tracking af/flexizone this is in tv mode
I'd have to experiment, but I think if you turn Digital Zoom off then other autofocus options become available.

I was out yesterday and used the settings calvinfold has posted above,i took loads of pics both on tv mode and av mode ,and all were correctly exposed,
not a single pic was washed out ,looks like canon have been shipping these cameras with some very dodgy settings included

Attachments

• swan.JPG
    swan.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 149
  • blue titc.jpg
    blue titc.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 165
  • crow.jpg
    crow.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 116
  • chaffinch.jpg
    chaffinch.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_9573.JPG
    IMG_9573.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 157
I've been fiddling some more during my last two outings, nothing gallery-ready just yet. I'm messing around with exposure compensation...white birds with very reflective feathers still giving me grief. EC -1.3 worked okay but it was really crushing-up the shadows too much, ruining some mallard shots. Right now, it seems like Tv using 1/400 and EC of -1.0 works pretty well.

My second goal is to see how slow the shutter speed can go for reasonably still birds, and how fast I need for basic BiF.

I've never been super great at advanced camera settings, I just end-up learning by using some settings, taking photos, and fine-tuning for the next outing.

I've attached some super-quickies from the most recent outing. These were "saved" from being over-dark in Photoshop, but still not bad considering. I'll post better versions in my gallery eventually.

Attachments

• IMG_2028.JPG
    IMG_2028.JPG
    346.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1600.JPG
    IMG_1600.JPG
    369.2 KB · Views: 162
Hi guys,
i just have my sx60hs since 2 weeks and here are my first 2 pictures, from this morning, while out with my dog.
It's at full scope and 4x digital, so not clean, but subject was far away.
Stabilisation is good but not so easy with the wind (50 km/h).
No crop, just colours and noise adjustment.

Playing with wind, searching for a prey.

Attachments

• forum1.jpg
    forum1.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 238
  • forum2.jpg
    forum2.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back