• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (4 Viewers)

In the past few days, all these have been seen in the Azores:
Solitary Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Semipalmated Plover, Least Sandpiper, Gray-tailed tattler...

A real challenge for them to twitch as a crew of three. A really big advantage for the longer trips and cleaning up on those but a far bigger logistical challenge on tickets etc for twitching if there are three of them.

All the best

In the past few days, all these have been seen in the Azores:
Solitary Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Semipalmated Plover, Least Sandpiper, Gray-tailed tattler...

With Baird's Sandpiper now also having been reported from the UK the last wader I'm still awaiting for this year is Wilson's Phalarope. All the other code 4s have now been reported this year!

The finder of the Solitary Sandpiper on the Azores has also found a Great Egret there, which he calls 'Great American Egret'. But how can he be sure of this? How do you tell Eurasian and American White Egrets appart in the field?

And eventhough the Dowitcher in germany is gone, there's one in the Netherlands that has been stationary and twitchable for a while now.

The finder of the Solitary Sandpiper on the Azores has also found a Great Egret there, which he calls 'Great American Egret'. But how can he be sure of this? How do you tell Eurasian and American White Egrets appart in the field?

Maffong

It used to be suggested that bare part colouration was the key but as I understand it, that is now considered unreliable. I twitched a bird in Northants that was touted as the American race/species.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Egret Identification.pdf
    430.9 KB · Views: 100
American Great Egrets are regular in the Azores. Usually a few every year.

Pedro

Is there an on-line resource of say the last three Octobers' Azores vagrants? I was trying to turn my guesswork on outcome into something more scientific but failing badly to find an easy source of records on-line.

On the Egrets, is there a ringing recovery or DNA analysis on origin for any of the records?

All the best

Yep. I also remember being on the phone discussing arrangements to twitch one in Northern Ireland when the Osmington Mills Siberian Rubythroat broke. I ended the call and went to Dorset in a hurry but never went for the Egret!

All the best

Did you get the Rubythroat? A two hour drive from Clevedon - might have been possible

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back