• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss to ditch the HT and no 7X coming. (1 Viewer)

Surely the market will decide, whatever the optical properties? The demise of the 7x binocular is the evidence for this.

It seems that the Alpha 7x is becoming a minority instrument, but it does puzzle me, because on the pre-owned market Alpha 7x binoculars are snapped up like hot cakes, they seem to be the most popular looking at the prices they go for, even an old mint Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt BGA T*P will go for £700 - £800, similar with the Victory FL.

It seems that the Alpha 7x is becoming a minority instrument, but it does puzzle me, because on the pre-owned market Alpha 7x binoculars are snapped up like hot cakes, they seem to be the most popular looking at the prices they go for, even an old mint Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt BGA T*P will go for £700 - £800, similar with the Victory FL.

I've asked several of the brands at Bird Fair and they all say the same thing: everybody loves 7x but nobody buys them. I haven't met one person working for any brand that thinks their employer is missing out on an opportunity by not offering a 7x.

FWIW I think a wide angle 7x32 would be the perfect tourist bin. Light and compact and for tourist use would need minimal re-focusing due to depth of field and the wide view would suit sight-seeing.

But not enough people want a 7x for nature observation.

Lee

The first reaction of me, reading the post, was... Bogus.
A rep misinterpretated/trying to be interesting.

The Zeiss Photo reps don't do the Optics and visa versa.
The reason for no HT's present at the show is more likely to be found in the fact that the Photo reps don't know SH.. about optics (and visa versa) so questions about differences in SF/HT/Conquest and Terra's will be answered by them in a "spacy" way avoiding details and maybe saying stupid things like the poster has heard. I don't doubt the poster for a second. I just don't believe the source.
That's why I reached out to my Zeiss rep and I'll let you know his answer.

To be continued.....

Jan

I am the poster.
You were not at this particular show, you know absolutely nothing about what and who was there and yet you draw conclusions.
There was as much sports optics on display as photo equipment, and the rep I spoke with was in charge of the sports optics section, and from what I heard he knew what he was talking about (I have built a telescope, mirror and mecanics and have been into optics for 30 years, so I know when someone tries to fool me with stupid commercial talks, that's for my background).I was actually pleased to talk with someone who knew his subject.

By the way, the Paris Photo Show is a great place to try out sports optics, Swarovski had a 12x50 SV and 8x32 SV field Pro, , an 8x42 SLC HD, Nikon the new 10x42 HG, Canon with four IS models, Kowa FL scopes, etc...

Last edited:
I am the poster.
You were not at this particular show, you know absolutely nothing about what and who was there and yet you draw conclusions.
There was as much sports optics on display as photo equipment, and the rep I spoke with was in charge of the sports optics section, and from what I heard he knew what he was talking about (I have built a telescope, mirror and mecanics and have been into optics for 30 years, so I know when someone tries to fool me with stupid commercial talks, that's for my background).I was actually pleased to talk with someone who knew his subject.

By the way, the Paris Photo Show is a great place to try out sports optics, Swarovski had a 12x50 SV and 8x32 SV field Pro, , an 8x42 SLC HD, Nikon the new 10x42 HG, Canon with four IS models, Kowa FL scopes, etc...

PLC22,

Don't know what or where it stands for, but OK.

This is a Forum. People communicate. They give their opinion. I gave my opinion.
My opinion was that I didn't doubted the poster, I doubted the source and the source is the Zeiss rep who told you what you wrote in this Thread. There is always a possibility that you misinterpretated what the source said.
And while we are now at the source and you know him as the guy (not lady?) who is in charge of the Zeiss Sport Optic Section...... Would you be so kind to provide us with his name? Otherwise, you being in optics for 30 years, it won't be such a problem for you to find out.....

Because, that would clear a lot! Let's hear what he has to say.

Whatever the outcome will be, time will tell;)

Jan

I am not convinced that HT is about to die despite this report.

Lee
Plc22, without casting aspersions, this report of the HT's demise sounds very strange, as they provide a different 'flava' that only A-K prisms can provide?

I'm sure if there was any likelihood of it, that Lee would be revving that hard that he would likely throw a conrod! :eek!: as opposed to the rather nonchalant reply above? :smoke:

If Zeiss were to get rid of anything, it should be the unnecessary HunTers beef in the HT, and the green ham colour cast of the SF that some see - some HT glass should help there! They might also get rid of the waiting list for 50mm SF by actually making them! as has been suggested ...... :cat:

Chosun :gh:

I'm sure if there was any likelihood of it, that Lee would be revving that hard that he would likely throw a conrod! :eek!: as opposed to the rather nonchalant reply above? :smoke:

Hi CJ

I have been checking this out with my sources and they agree with Jan's: HT 42 is not being discontinued.

If it had been discontinued I wouldn't have thrown a conrod but I might have smacked a valve with my piston :-O.

Lee

Will somebody tell me what H-E-double-hockeysticks a "conrod" is?

David for goodness sake it CONnects a piston to a crankshaft in an engine.
Ignore Jan, he wouldn't know a cricket from a grasshopper let alone distinguish the noble sport of cricket from hockey.

Lee

Last edited:
Haha, yes that the one! .... helps the wheels on the bus go round and round ..... :bounce:

This is Conrod Straight done proper - so named after the propensity for 'throwing a rod' ..... and bending the odd valve, lunching an injun etc ..... and that's at a mere 8000 odd rpm of the dinosaur pushrod V8's :eat: :gn:

Take one seriously steep concrete lined mountain, definitely not sanctioned by the FIM on safety grounds, a couple of nutters (champions, though still nutters! :) , an 18,000 rpm mechanical jewel carbon fibre rocketship, 3! brief laps only, and 40,000 fans who had died and gone to heaven o:D and this is what you get ......
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TQJDlYoh2i8
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDDFgtXRBU

Perhaps Zeiss could take a leaf out of Button's book and ditch some weight out of the HT instead of the HT holus bolus ..... :smoke:

Last edited:
Haha, yes that the one! .... helps the wheels on the bus go round and round ..... :bounce:

This is Conrod Straight done proper - so named after the propensity for 'throwing a rod' ..... and bending the odd valve, lunching an injun etc ..... and that's at a mere 8000 odd rpm of the dinosaur pushrod V8's :eat: :gn:

Take one seriously steep concrete lined mountain, definitely not sanctioned by the FIM on safety grounds, a couple of nutters (champions, though still nutters! :) , an 18,000 rpm mechanical jewel carbon fibre rocketship, 3! brief laps only, and 40,000 fans who had died and gone to heaven o:D and this is what you get ......
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TQJDlYoh2i8
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6YDDFgtXRBU

Perhaps Zeiss could take a leaf out of Button's book and ditch some weight out of the HT instead of the HT holus bolus ..... :smoke:

Nice videos CJ but I'd rather have a Maloo pick-up V8...

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back