• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hesperornithids in European Russia (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
N.V. Zelenkov, A.V. Panteleyev & A.A. Yarkov, 2017

New Finds of Hesperornithids in the European Russia, with Comments on the Systematics of Eurasian Hesperornithidae

Paleontological Journal 2017 (5): 89-97 (Russian edition)

https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=29963109

Free pdf:

http://museum.vgi.volsu.ru/downloads/publication/gesperionis.pdf

New remains of Hesperornithidae are described from several Late Cretaceous (Campanian) localities of the Lower Volga Region (European Russia). New specimens from Rychkovo and Karaykino localities cannot be referred to as Hesperornis rossicus Nessov et Yarkov, 1993 and likely represent a new undescribed species. Bones from Rychkovo belonged to immature individuals with an incompletely formed tarsometatarsus, which is comparable in size to those of adults known from Karyakino. A tarsometatarsus from the Malaya Rybka locality belongs to a smaller hesperornithiform species and represents the first avian record in this locality. An even smaller hesperornithiform from the Bereslavka locality resembles Asiahesperornis bazhanovi Nessov et Prizemlin, 1991. We discuss the systematics of Eurasian hesperornithiforms. We adhere to the validity of Hesperornis rossicus and doubt of the assignment to this species of Swedish materials. Asiahesperornis bazhanovi is undoubtedly a separate valid taxon of hesperornithiforms, but the generic name Asiahesperornis Nessov et Prizemlin, 1991 may be a junior synonym of Parahesperornis Martin, 1984.

Enjoy,

Fred

Hi Fred,
In this paper they refer to a subfamily name which I had not heard of yet. Would you by chance know where the cited source might be found?
Несов Л.А., Приземлин Б.В. Эволюционно продвинутые нелетающие морские птицы отряда гесперорнисообразных позднего сенона Тургайского пролива: первые находки группы в СССР // Тр. Зоол. ин-та АН СССР. 1991. Т. 239. С. 85–107.
(I think they lost a word at the start of the title, it should have read "Крупные эволюционно продвинутые нелетающие морские птицы" [etc.]. This should also be the OD of the type genus (Asiahesperornis), I believe.)

Hi Laurent,

In my files I have the following:

Subfamilia Asiahesperornithinae Nessov et Prizemlin, 1991.

Asiahesperornithinae Nessov et Prizemlin, 1991. [Typegenus Asiahesperornis Nessov et Prizemlin, 1991.]
Diagnosis: Als voor het typegenus.

Genus Asiahesperornis Nessov et Prizemlin, 1991.
Asiahesperornis Nessov et Prizemlin, 1991. [Typespecies door monoyypie Asiahesperornis bazhanovi Nessov et Prizemlin, 1991.]
Diagnosis: Als voor de typespecies.
Derivatio nominis: De genusnaam is afgeleid van Asia = Azië en het genus Hesperornis

Asiahesperornis bazhanovi Nessov et Prizemlin, 1991.
ets. etc.

The paper with the desciption of Asiahesperornithinae (pg. 201) is indeed as you wrote

Несов Л.А., Приземлин Б.В.: Крупные эволюционно продвинутые нелетающие морские птицы
It was published in Trudy Zoologicheskogo Instituta, Akademiya Nauk SSSR 239: 85-107 + 2 plates (in Russian)

Hope you like it,

Fred

Here is the paper:

Attachments

• 239-085-107.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back