• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Russet Sparrow (1 Viewer)

michalb

Poland
This bird is listed under different names by different taxonomic authorities:
H&M: Passer cinnamomeus (Gould, 1836)
IOC: Passer rutilans (Temminck, 1836) (including P. r. cinnamomeus (Gould, 1836))
Birdlife: Passer cinnamomeus (Temminck, 1836)

Which one is correct? I assume the discrepancies are caused by the same year of both descriptions?

Mr. Edward Dickinson dates rutilans as 1835 as opposed to 1836 in Peters.
I understand it as the opposite. H&M4 has a footnote associated to cinnamomeus:
Mlíkovský (2011) [1758] dated this 8 April 1838 [sic] thus giving this name precedence over rutilans.
('1838' is a typo for 1836; in the list the name is attributed to Gould 1836, Mlíkovský 2011 [see below] wrote 1836, and of course 8 April 1838 makes no sense as this would not give precedence to the name over rutilans.)
...and another associated to rutilans:
Livr. 99 must be dated from 1836 see Dickinson (2001) [716].
Peters [here] dated rutilans from 1835.
Dickinson (2001) [716] is indeed http://repository.naturalis.nl/document/46425 -- column headers in the table are admittedly a bit unclear, but the 'Date' suggested to be correct is that in the column next to 'Livr. No. New' as opposed to that in the column next to 'Livr. No. Old', i.e., 1836 as opposed to 1835.
Mlíkovský (2011) [1758] is [this], and it suggests dating Gould's name from 8 Apr 1836, and Temminck's from 31 Dec 1836.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back