• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

This week's sad little collection..... (1 Viewer)

Fuchsia

Bug Babe
Hello,
Bitterly cold here but a couple of mild nights brought a few moths out.
#1 was 12mm long.
#2 I thought it was a Beaded Chestnut when I took it but don't now.
#3 was dead. Is it a beaten up Red-green Carpet?

By the way, do you count dead moths? I also found an ex 'old lady' in a web this week.

Another question - I saw a November agg that was much smaller than usual. Do they vary a lot in size? It was 18mm and all those I've seen were 25mm.

Just wondered! :h?:

Attachments

• 12mm.jpg
    12mm.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN1173.jpg
    DSCN1173.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN1175.jpg
    DSCN1175.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 96
Hello,
Bitterly cold here but a couple of mild nights brought a few moths out.
#1 was 12mm long. Possibly a Northern Winter Moth Operophtera fagata
#2 I thought it was a Beaded Chestnut when I took it but don't now. Agree with Beaded Chestnut
#3 was dead. Is it a beaten up Red-green Carpet? I'd so its likely. Its darker than what I see here.

By the way, do you count dead moths? I also found an ex 'old lady' in a web this week. Personal choice. I record wings from a bat roost.

Another question - I saw a November agg that was much smaller than usual. Do they vary a lot in size? It was 18mm and all those I've seen were 25mm. Moth do vary in size a lot within a species. Though what you saw may possibly have been a Winter Moth. Something for you to consider.

Cheers from chilly Ireland

Fuchsia said:
By the way, do you count dead moths? I also found an ex 'old lady' in a web this week.

Depends on why you count. If you're 'listing', a la birding, then probably not (but then like all listing, it's your game, so your rules). If you're 'recording', i.e. noting what's in your local area on a scientific (to whatever degree) basis, then a definite yes

Fuchsia said:
Another question - I saw a November agg that was much smaller than usual. Do they vary a lot in size? It was 18mm and all those I've seen were 25mm.

Runts occur in many (most?) species; likely just had a harsh childhood!

Re: dead old lady

Fuchsia said:
Hello,
By the way, do you count dead moths? :h?:

I do, because for recording purposes the point of interest is that they were alive in my area. For the same reason, I count leafmines, larvae and I would count eggs and pupae if I could ID them.
(I suppose it depends why you are recording things. I wouldn't count a dead bird on my life list, but I might report it to my county recorder if it was something out of the ordinary.)
Ken

Thanks you lot,
I will record the dead ones - I like to know what I can find here. Pity the Old Lady was dead cos it was a lovely big moth.
Many thanks too for the ID's.
Here is runty (front and back as usual!). I'm pretty sure it's a Nov.

Jen :flowers:

Attachments

• runty.jpg
    runty.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back