• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Vagrant Ring-billed Gull or Common Gull? Warsaw, Poland. (1 Viewer)

LaughingDove

I think it's probably a Common Gull, but I just have a slight doubt that it possibly could be a vagrant Ring-billed Gull. The bird was quite far away in very overcast conditions so it's a heavy crop but I hope it's clear enough to be seen.

Attachments

• IMG_0623 crop1.jpg
    IMG_0623 crop1.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0623 crop2.jpg
    IMG_0623 crop2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0621 (2).JPG
    IMG_0621 (2).JPG
    130 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0622 (2).JPG
    IMG_0622 (2).JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 49
Looks like a Common Gull. Sometimes they have a dark ring on the bill. The dark band on Ring-billed is normally more obvious than this. Also, the eye seems dark and there is a broad white 'tertial crescent' between the grey of the wings and the black wing tip. Those are both pro-Common Gull features.

Ok, thanks for the help.
A bit unusual to see a common gull this early in the year, but I've been seeing a few things earlier than usual.

But even more unusual for a Ring-billed Gull in Poland!

Not that unusual.
I believe there have been three Ring-billed Gulls recorded in Poland this winter with the last one some time in January which is a fair few considering how relatively sparsely-birded Poland is.

Not that unusual.
I believe there have been three Ring-billed Gulls recorded in Poland this winter with the last one some time in January which is a fair few considering how relatively sparsely-birded Poland is.

Hmmm . . . what can one trust?! Collins Bird Guide, Olsen's Gulls, and BWP Concise all map Common Gull as a widespread resident in Poland (and/or the adjacent southern Baltic Sea). Are they all wrong?

Hmmm . . . what can one trust?! Collins Bird Guide, Olsen's Gulls, and BWP Concise all map Common Gull as a widespread resident in Poland (and/or the adjacent southern Baltic Sea). Are they all wrong?

You're misinterpreting my comment. I'm not doubting that a Common Gull is much more likely than a Ring-billed Gull, and if you read my original post, it says "I think it's probably a Common Gull, but I just have a slight doubt that it possibly could be a vagrant Ring-billed Gull" but I was just pointing out that a Ring-billed Gull is not totally unreasonable around Warsaw.

You're misinterpreting my comment. I'm not doubting that a Common Gull is much more likely than a Ring-billed Gull, and if you read my original post, it says "I think it's probably a Common Gull, but I just have a slight doubt that it possibly could be a vagrant Ring-billed Gull" but I was just pointing out that a Ring-billed Gull is not totally unreasonable around Warsaw.

In my book Laughing Dove....anything is possible. :t:

Perhaps, but I guess I really should have quoted the first note:
Ok, thanks for the help.
A bit unusual to see a common gull this early in the year, but I've been seeing a few things earlier than usual.

Which is a bit at odds with the maps in the books which hint that the species "should be" widespread and abundant all winter - which it clearly isn't, from your observations! Lou S has mentioned elsewhere that these maps are not very accurate :t:

Perhaps, but I guess I really should have quoted the first note:

Which is a bit at odds with the maps in the books which hint that the species "should be" widespread and abundant all winter - which it clearly isn't, from your observations! Lou S has mentioned elsewhere that these maps are not very accurate :t:

At the coast maybe, but the Collins Bird Guide map shows it as a year-round resident some way inland from the coast but certainly not all through the country and the Handbook of Birds of the World map http://www.hbw.com/species/mew-gull-larus-canus shows it as a winter visitor at the coast and a breeding visitor to different sites inland during the summer.

The distribution described by the HBW map is what I have seen in my experience.

At the coast maybe, but the Collins Bird Guide map shows it as a year-round resident some way inland from the coast but certainly not all through the country and the Handbook of Birds of the World map http://www.hbw.com/species/mew-gull-larus-canus shows it as a winter visitor at the coast and a breeding visitor to different sites inland during the summer.

The distribution described by the HBW map is what I have seen in my experience.
Thanks! An interesting difference from Britain, where in winter, they are commoner inland than on the coast.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back