• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars do you use? (1 Viewer)

For the last five years, or so, Nikon Venturer LX 10X42, and Fujinon FMT-SX 16X70. I also have, but seldom use, Fujinon FMT-SX 10X70, and Miyauchi 20X100, achromat, fixed eyepieces.

The Nikons were my "drag them pretty much everywhere" binoculars, for just about everything, with the 16X70s also taken along on cruises, and used for astronomy, but I live in such a poor place for that, I have essentially given up that use. Before the Nikons (my first pair of roof-prism binoculars) my "drag them everywhere" glasses were a pair of Sears 7X35, which finally just plain wore out, and being dropped once didn't help.

As of Tuesday, 12 Aug, I have been using Swarovski EL SV 10X42, which are quite a step up from the Nikons, both optically, and in price. I find the Swarovski images to be absolutely breathtaking.

So the Swarovskis are now my "drag them pretty much everywhere to look at pretty much everything" binoculars. They far surpass any binocular I have ever owned, or used.

Last edited:
For the last five years, or so, Nikon Venturer LX 10X42, and Fujinon FMT-SX 16X70. I also have, but seldom use, Fujinon FMT-SX 10X70, and Miyauchi 20X100, achromat, fixed eyepieces.

The Nikons were my "drag them pretty much everywhere" binoculars, for just about everything, with the 16X70s also taken along on cruises, and used for astronomy, but I live in such a poor place for that, I have essentially given up that use. Before the Nikons (my first pair of roof-prism binoculars) my "drag them everywhere" glasses were a pair of Sears 7X35, which finally just plain wore out, and being dropped once didn't help.

As of Tuesday, 12 Aug, I have been using Swarovski EL SV 10X42, which are quite a step up from the Nikons, both optically, and in price. I find the Swarovski images to be absolutely breathtaking.

So the Swarovskis are now my "drag them pretty much everywhere to look at pretty much everything" binoculars. They far surpass any binocular I have ever owned, or used.

Maljunulo,

Now that you are a proud SV EL owner, you should know that if you want to join the SV EL Owners Club of America and enjoy full membership privileges including use of the sauna with warm lava shell massage and bamboo shoots massage, you will not only need to write on your application the day of the week, date and month of when you converted from Nikolia to Swarovskism, but also the time of your conversion. Swaro SV EL Club members are pretty strict about stuff like that.

And don't think you can just fake it by giving a false time. They will hack into the police cameras near your house and use Google Earth to confirm the time. So be honest. What was the exact time when you first looked at that chipmunk from your balcony through your 10x42 SV ELs, give or take a minute?

To join you will also need an Austrian fedora and woolen scarf (see Swaro's website for details).

Me, I don't have brand loyalties, although some people think I do because of my baseball cap. ;)

Btw, same here with the light pollution, I'm selling my telescope soon, already sold my 12x50 SE and 10x50 Nova. Too long a drive to escape the ever expanding light dome.

Jumanji

Attachments

• nikon_Im_nikon_cap.jpg
    nikon_Im_nikon_cap.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 50
Maljunulo,

Now that you are a proud SV EL owner, you should know that if you want to join the SV EL Owners Club of America and enjoy full membership privileges including use of the sauna with warm lava shell massage and bamboo shoots massage, you will not only need to write on your application the day of the week, date and month of when you converted from Nikolia to Swarovskism, but also the time of your conversion. Swaro SV EL Club members are pretty strict about stuff like that.

And don't think you can just fake it by giving a false time. They will hack into the police cameras near your house and use Google Earth to confirm the time. So be honest. What was the exact time when you first looked at that chipmunk from your balcony through your 10x42 SV ELs, give or take a minute?

To join you will also need an Austrian fedora and woolen scarf (see Swaro's website for details).

Me, I don't have brand loyalties, although some people think I do because of my baseball cap. ;)

Btw, same here with the light pollution, I'm selling my telescope soon, already sold my 12x50 SE and 10x50 Nova. Too long a drive to escape the ever expanding light dome.

Jumanji

J;

They were delivered at 1341 EDT, so by the time I finished farting around attaching the strap, reading the (rather meager) manual, looking at the bag, and so on, it was probably at least 1400 by the time I got outside.

What was left of a pretty big maple tree fell over a few years back, and the end which tore out of the ground (the base, if you will) is at about 45 degrees to my line of sight, and is under the woods canopy. It is really dark, to the point where your eye sees very little. With the Nikons, I could see a bit of detail, but nothing really definitive.

When I first looked with the EL, I could see all of the holes, bumps, color shadings and textures in there as well as the chipmunk scurrying around and popping in and out of one of the holes.

The difference was surprising, and exceeded my expectations, to the point where I couldn't stop looking in there for a while. I guess "color shadings and textures" pretty well summarizes the incredibly sharp and detailed images. The glass just disappears, and you are looking at the object in a way that you could never hope to see it otherwise.

This is true of binocular use in general, but the ELs just take it to a mind-blowing level.

It may help that my well aged eyes were "rebuilt" in 2009 due to cataracts, and my implant lenses do a fine job, in the absence of any retinopathy.

I am very fortunate.

My word, I have gone on here, haven't I?

Richard

Brock,

Since brand loyalty has recently been the topic of a different thread, and I think people often see it where it isn't, I want to point out that Richard hasn't demonstrated any brand loyalty. Rather, he has described using a number of different brands, and he likes the optics of the 10x42 SV better than the 10x42 LX because of characteristics of the models. I don't see how brand enters into his evaluation.

--AP

Last edited:
The Nikon Venturer 10x42 LX is pretty old technology, especially compared to the Swarovski 10x42 SV. Didn't the Venturers use the old lead glass? They probably had silver coated prisms and were bright for their time but have been pretty well superannuated. The Swarovski 10x42 SVs are state of the art in everything; dielectric prisms and all that so they should be quite a bit brighter.

Bob

Last edited:
I have previously owned both a Swarovski 8x42 SLC HD and a Kowa 8,5x44 Prominar, but now I use the following binoculars:

Nikon 8x42 EDG - my primary binocular used for "everything"

Nikon 8x32 SE - fills really no purpose except that it gives a little different feeling to use. It creates variety in my bird watching simply.

Nikon 8x42 Monarch 5 - A cheap thing that I do not own yet but will purchase in the next week. It will be used as a bino that is always in the car ready to be used. This is to avoid having to think about taking with me some of those other two binoculars every time I'm off shopping in the grocery store or something like that.

Hi! High North here!

I'm using a Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 as my main birding binocular. It was recommended to me by a local ornithologist as a decent starter binocular with an acceptable price and good warranty. Except for the warranty later turning out to be crap, and one of the cheap plastic eyecups breaking after just 2 months of use so I had to fix it with black electrical tape, I'm really satisfied with those binoculars! o:D

I also own a Nikon Action EX 10x50 that I sometimes use for stationary watching from my balcony, but I'm using it less and less nowadays, as the Monarch gives far superior views.

Oh, and I have an inexpensive (but respectable!) Opticron Oregon 8x32 which I tend to keep in my car. It is very compact and lightweight and fits in the glove compartment. :smoke:

Also, when I got into birding earlier this summer, I decided to put most of my budget money into a good spotting scope, as I was planning to do some digiscoping with it. I chose the Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 spotting scope, due to its high optical quality, moderate price and unbeatable warranty! I have used it a lot, and not been one bit dissappointed so far! B :)

Last edited:
I use a Swarovski EL 8.5x 42 for general use
A Bushnell Custom 7x26 compact, if I am walking around a lot or just want to do some impromptu birding and a Swarovski Habicht 10x40 for that "classic" view.

Past the autumnal equinox here in the northern hemisphere and it's almost time to break out the genuinely fog proof, low light gathering, freezer hardy, slick two finger focus wheel, easy one handed hold, winter bino rack.

Any recommendations ?

I have previously owned both a Swarovski 8x42 SLC HD and a Kowa 8,5x44 Prominar, but now I use the following binoculars:

Nikon 8x42 EDG - my primary binocular used for "everything"

Nikon 8x32 SE - fills really no purpose except that it gives a little different feeling to use. It creates variety in my bird watching simply.
Hi Kingfisher,

How did you think the 8.5x44 Prominar compared to the EDG/SE? I've compared my Prominars to most other alpha/sub-alpha but haven't gotten a chance to look through the two models to which you've switched.

Justin

A vanity shot of the ones I use.

9e8y9y5e.jpg

Past the autumnal equinox here in the northern hemisphere and it's almost time to break out the genuinely fog proof, low light gathering, freezer hardy, slick two finger focus wheel, easy one handed hold, winter bino rack.

Any recommendations ?

Nikon EDG 7x42? :king:

You carry that case around you when you are birding? :smoke:

I never said I am a birder. o:D
I carry it when moving to my balcony and when going for an astronomy session and when there's light I take out the Zeiss to see the birds. The Pentax now is in my whatever bag I use (EDC). I had it during a recent trip in Madrid and I saw parrots, magpies, ducks, sparrows and many other birds in the beautiful parks and the botanical garden of the city with it. Also a butterfly, scarabs, turtles and hundrends of flowers (they have a great collection of Dallias there). Also paintings, buildings, fountains, monuments, people. No luck to study Guernika or Naked Maya with 50 tourists in front of you. I just find I nice position and look over their heads, without annoying anyone.
I wish I knew all species names but they still are beautiful to look at. They don't know their name either and still look and sound great.
I guess that if I go again in lake Vistonida or Stymphalia (been there without bins already) I will carry the case with me, take the bin out and leave the case in the car. Easy.
But if I go for a hike or bike to the outdoors I will just take the Pentax or Zeiss with me. The Canon isn't for long hikes.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back