• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Results from colour-ring reading (1 Viewer)

There were three ringed mute swans at Bolam Lake in Northumberland at the start of the month, and I have one result back, after submitting the details through the BTO.

NFF dark green (metal W31303) was ringed as a cygnet on the Union Canal, Viewforth, Edinburgh (NT242726) on 14th August 2011. It moved to Blackford Pond, Edinburgh (NT253709) by 10th October 2011 then to Musselburgh (NT345732) from 20th October to 1st November 2011.

It then went missing and was not seen again until at South Shields Marine Park on 10th August 2012 and then on the River Rede, West Woodburn (NY892868) on 28th June 2013 – the last record before yours.

Lothians & Fife Swan and Goose Study Group

However, have not had a response for the two birds with red rings, so wondering if there's another way to track them down (or am I just being impatient...? I'm not sure how long these things usually take, although the above info came through within a week).

Response times vary tremendously. Some results you can look up yourself online, some you can trace the ringing scheme and email the ringer direct but if all else fails and in any case I report them to the BTO using the online form.

http://www.cr-birding.org/ is about the best resource for colour ringed birds as an aid to identify the ringing scheme and contacting the ringer directly by email.

These two scheme are listed on cr-birding for Mute Swans with red rings -

http://www.cr-birding.org/node/1386

http://www.cr-birding.org/node/1385

Just found out about an amazing series of sightings of a Lesser Black-backed Gull ringed by the North Thames Gull Group.

It has been reported in Germany in two breeding seasons, then at Shawell landfill site in Leicestershire last July. But on January 28th it was way down the west African coast at Tiougoune, Senegal - reported by the visiting group from the Rutland Osprey Project.

I keep a database of all colour-ringed LBBs that are seen in Leics/Rutland and this is the most southerly sighting so far.

Steve

...wondering if anyone would like to speculate on which national scheme is behind this combination I saw (and have reported to EURING) for Black-headed Gull:

* Metal ring on right tibia (got some of the ring number)
* (Dark) green colour ring on right tarsus, white letter (E in this case).

It's not on cr-birding site so far as I can see.

I've kept you in suspense long enough. My BHGull with metal ring on tibia and green ring (white letter E) on tarsus was a nestling ringed by Stour ringing group in Dorset. Keep an eye out for other birds from this project. Mine was 9 years old and sighted in Devon, a small hop.

There was an Icelandic-ringed Black-tailed Godwit on the Fresh Marsh at Titchwell yesterday, plus a Norwegian-ringed Black-headed Gull just too far to read the code. It had to be Norwegian though as it was a green ring with the code in black: other schemes using green rings, Scotland and Finland, have the codes in white.

Steve

There was an Icelandic-ringed Black-tailed Godwit on the Fresh Marsh at Titchwell yesterday.

Steve

Got the info back on that bird today Steve

Adult, female
RO-RZ 13.06.12 Bakkar, Laugarás, Árnessýsla, S Iceland
RO-RZ 24.06.12 Bakkar, Laugarás, Árnessýsla, S Iceland
RO-RZ 26.04.13 Leighton Moss, Lancashire, NW England
RO-RZ 09.05.13 Bakkar, Laugarás, Árnessýsla, S Iceland
RO-RZ 17.05.13 Bakkar, Laugarás, Árnessýsla, S Iceland
RO-RZ 22.05.13 Bakkar, Laugarás, Árnessýsla, S Iceland
RO-RZ 22.05.13 Bakkar, Laugarás, Árnessýsla, S Iceland
RO-RZ 15.06.13 Bakkar, Laugarás, Árnessýsla, S Iceland
RO-RZ 15.07.13 East Flood, Oare Marshes, Kent, SE England
RO-RZ 18.07.13 East Flood, Oare Marshes, Kent, SE England
RO-RZ 23.07.13 East Flood, Oare Marshes, Kent, SE England
RO-RZ 14.09.13 Frampton Marsh, the Wash estuary, Lincolnshire, E England
RO-RZ 14.09.13 Frampton Marsh, the Wash estuary, Lincolnshire, E England
RO-RZ 2.02.14 Titchwell, Norfolk, E England
RO-RZ 4.02.14 Titchwell, Norfolk, E England
RO-RZ 5.02.14 Titchwell, Norfolk, E England
RO-RZ 6.02.14 Titchwell, Norfolk, E England
RO-RZ 6.02.14 Titchwell, Norfolk, E England
RO-RZ 8.02.14 Titchwell, Norfolk, E England
RO-RZ 13.02.14 Titchwell, Norfolk, E England
RO-RZ 16.02.14 Titchwell, Norfolk, E England
RO-RZ 20.02.14 Titchwell, Norfolk, E England
RO-RZ 23.02.14 Titchwell, Norfolk, E England
RO-RZ 24.02.14 Titchwell, Norfolk, E England

Paul

Thanks Paul

I thought it was RY-RZ rather than RO-RZ and apparently both have been reported at Titchwell recently. Jenny sent me a photo of RO-RZ and the O does actually look more Y to me so I am wondering if it is all the same bird.

And good to see multiple readings on the same date from Titchwell - I often wonder how many people take the time to read and report colour rings.

Steve

Thanks Paul

I thought it was RY-RZ rather than RO-RZ and apparently both have been reported at Titchwell recently. Jenny sent me a photo of RO-RZ and the O does actually look more Y to me so I am wondering if it is all the same bird.

And good to see multiple readings on the same date from Titchwell - I often wonder how many people take the time to read and report colour rings.

Steve

This is the photo I was sent

Attachments

• godwit.jpg
    godwit.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 75
Just entered some Brent Geese sightings into the excellent www.geese.org. I had it yesterday morning and the evening before it was in Southhampton!! Bloody LOVE colour rings :D

! Date Sitename Region Country code Latitude Longitude Reported by
! 03-04-2012 20:00 Kinnum, Terschelling FRS NL 53.22.22 N 05.16.08 E Bart Ebbinge, Adriaan Dokter, Gerard Müskens, Harry Horn
! 05-04-2012 15:00 Oostelijk deel Strieperpolder; Terschelling FRS NL 53.22.19 N 05.17.29 E Harry Horn
! 06-04-2012 19:30 Strieperpolder; Terschelling FRS NL 53.22.20 N 05.17.13 E Harry Horn
! 10-04-2012 18:00 Strieperpolder; Terschelling FRS NL 53.22.30 N 05.17.07 E Harry Horn
! 21-04-2012 18:30 Op het wad ten zuiden van Hoorn; Terschelling FRS NL 53.23.08 N 05.21.17 E Harry Horn
! 12-10-2012 14:00 Utklippan BLK S 55.57.10 N 15.41.59 E Magnus Friberg, Johan Åhlén, Lennart Eriksson
! 09-04-2013 00:00 bure miede FRS NL 53.26.21 N 05.47.51 E Jan F. de Jong
! 20-04-2013 00:00 buurdergrie ameland FRS NL 53.26.43 N 05.50.17 E Jan F. de Jong
! 11-03-2014 17:00 Chilling, Warsash, Southampton HAM GB 50.49.53 N 01.16.31 W Pete Potts
! 12-03-2014 09:40 Frampton LIN GB 52.55.36 N 00.01.36 E Toby Collett

A good week despite wimping out of my usual gull day because it was too hot.

Two visits to Freiston/Frampton produced 14 cr Black-tailed Godwits including four ringed in Iceland, a Suffolk-ringed Avocet and two Norwegian Oystercatchers, one of which I saw in the same roost last August.

Closer to home a smart intermedius LBB Gull at Rutland Water on Tuesday was ringed in southern Norway in 2010. Plus my project with the juv Cormorants there yielded 22 sightings of eight cr birds as well as four older birds. It would be good to get more sightings of the RW birds when they disperse - yellow rings with three alphanumeric codes.

Steve

Another visit to Frampton yesterday produced 15 colour-ringed Black-tailed Godwits.

What was particularly interesting was that everyone of them was different to the 14 I saw a fortnight ago, showing how quickly they go through.

Steve

Hi,

I had a presumably Icelandic colour-rung Black-tailed Gotwit in Dublin, yesterday, 3 colour rings on each tibia, i found Jenny Gill's email address online but i'm getting a message saying it's undeliverable -flagged up as spam-, could someone PM me a contact email address?

regards

Hugh

Got good numbers of Great Black-backs down at Lizard Point, west Cornwall, right now and plenty of colour rings to keep us amused. We had a few in the spring as well and so far we're up to 12 French-ringed birds, six from the Channel Islands and two from Norway. I think the French projects must be quite new as the BTO Online Ringing Report only shows 34 records of French-ringed Geebs in the UK to the end of 2013! But then there are only records of 33 Channel Islands bird as well, so maybe Cornwall just does well for them...

Details of some of these birds are on the ringing group blog:
http://cornishringing.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/geeb-fest-at-lizard-point.html
http://cornishringing.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/gulls-on-move-again.html
http://cornishringing.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/dusky-swallow-odd-reed-bunting-and-more.html

Mark Grantham

West Cornwall Ringing Group

Will pm you an address for Jenny and Boddi that works. Saw 29 CR Blackwit at Frampton today, now over 100 for this autumn migration.

Have got off my behind and found a low tide gull roost for evening ring-reading this week. First ever look at the flock turned up a dark-darvic-ringed Herring Gull with yellow/orange writing, 'B.Y' or 'R.Y'. This appears to match Peter Rock's large gull project in Bristol... a good start to a hopefully productive winter season of CRbirding.

Colour-ringed adult Herring Gull on the Coquet Estuary at Amble, Northumberland (55.339959° -1.590388°), yesterday:
Yellow darvic ring with PKCS in black letters.

Anyone know where it's from, please?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back