• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can a $300 binocular compete with a $1900 binocular ? (1 Viewer)

bh I can`t help thinking you had an iffy SE although I only know the 8x32, I`m sure we all call it as we see it on this forum, and certainly for me there`s not a fag paper optically between an 8x32sv and a late 8X32se.

You`v asked a question, answered it, and then seemed to get defensive when we mostly agree with you, for me Perterra is spot on, there`s quite a gap from 300-600 £/$ but much less so from 700-2k.

Perterra my EDC is a EnZo pk70 s30v scandi grind, UK legal.

I give up. There is no need for me to post anything else. Just go ahead and rehash the same boring BS.

I had no intent in making anyone angry with my post on this thread.
I was just offering my own viewpoint...what I said does sort of challenge
your position (what I thought was your position), but I may have misinterpreted your initial post.
I sort of read it at first as 'why not spend more money and have the best' ($300 minox vs an alpha),
but now I think you were trying to say 'if you are going to spend that much money for an alpha bin (SV)
why not spend a little more and get the SF (if it is indeed better)'... is that really what you were trying to explain?
If so, I apologize for my error.

Last edited:
bh I can`t help thinking you had an iffy SE although I only know the 8x32, I`m sure we all call it as we see it on this forum, and certainly for me there`s not a fag paper optically between an 8x32sv and a late 8X32se.

You`v asked a question, answered it, and then seemed to get defensive when we mostly agree with you, for me Perterra is spot on, there`s quite a gap from 300-600 £/$ but much less so from 700-2k.

Perterra my EDC is a EnZo pk70 s30v scandi grind, UK legal.

I have only handled one Enzo carbon fiber folder, was a very nice knife.

This statement alone should be enough to get you thrown off the forum as an antagonist. Anybody that looks through an EL SV and doesn't see how clearly superior it is, is either jealous, a fool, or just plain can't see. If you want a war of words, we can keep going until one of us get tossed off, and if that happens to be me, then so be it. Seems like you may be short on funds, need a loan ?

Mostly to be a thorn in the side of the elites and fan boys.

No problem.

I had no intent in making anyone angry with my post on this thread.
I was just offering my own viewpoint...what I said does sort of challenge
your position (what I thought was your position), but I may have misinterpreted your initial post.
I sort of read it at first as 'why not spend more money and have the best' ($300 minox vs an alpha),
but now I think you were trying to say 'if you are going to spend that much money for an alpha bin (SV)
why not spend a little more and get the SF (if it is indeed better)'... is that really what you were trying to explain?
If so, I apologize for my error.

This statement alone should be enough to get you thrown off the forum as an antagonist. Anybody that looks through an EL SV and doesn't see how clearly superior it is, is either jealous, a fool, or just plain can't see. If you want a war of words, we can keep going until one of us get tossed off, and if that happens to be me, then so be it. Seems like you may be short on funds, need a loan ?

LMAO Pal it's mighty early on a Monday to be drinking, or is this a carry over from Sunday night.

I could use a few bucks to pick up some muscatel if you can spare it, but if you could float me enough for a bottle of Mezcal Rojas I'd appreciate it.

I'm a self employed millwright that risks his life every day to make a buck, so I am well aware of the value of money. I think the Zen and Minox are great for the money, and the Minox was better than anything I put it up against until the SV. Is it worth $1900 ? I'm still struggling with that myself, but over a a period of 20 years it's not that bad per year. After experiencing this level of optics, it will be hard to turn back. I call things exactly the way I see them, and the Swarovski view is a quantum leap in my opinion above the SE and Kowa Genesis. I would love to see the Nikon EDG, and a few others, but I just don't see it getting much better than this.

Just enjoy your sv.
Its state of the art for a binocular.
And like you said you don't see it getting much better than what you have.
I agree.
I did think the 10x50 I had was better in an optical sense than the 8x32, brighter more detail.
The 8x32 sv has all the boxes checked that matter most though so that's why I have it and don't intend to sell it.
Cheaper optics have come along ways but IMO still come up short.
There is a reason why prices are ddifferent just the majority aren't as discrimitory when it comes to binoculars.
And yes that includes the Nikon se I have both and IMO the Swarovski has the superior image. Let the stoning begin!
Bryce...

That`s the one, surprising what you can do with a small high quality blade, the slip joint is the strongest I`v come across too.

Apologies for digressing.

They arent marketed heavily here, they should be but they arent. The 3" blade is a perfect size.

Classic unassuming blade, not all tactical and eat up with stuff to lure in the wanna be tactical operator. Just a user.

Let the stoning begin!
Bryce...

Can I throw those styrofoam peanuts at you instead?
I don't like to see anyone hurt. o:)

Yes, the SV is awesome. I've only tried it at the store
a few times, but it's a tippity top shelf bin.

If I had a choice between SV and SF I'd prob go for SV, as
the SF looks just too huge and I prefer a more small-ish binocular.

Can I throw those styrofoam peanuts at you instead?
I don't like to see anyone hurt. o:)

Yes, the SV is awesome. I've only tried it at the store
a few times, but it's a tippity top shelf bin.

If I had a choice between SV and SF I'd prob go for SV, as
the SF looks just too huge and I prefer a more small-ish binocular.

Yes if you must I would prefer STYROFOAM.

Bryce...

Folks lets state the question properly. Is a 300 dollar bin good enough for ME!. If it is just enjoy and be happy. If however its a case or "Binocular Envy" then buy what ever it takes to make it go away. If you can make your choice and not spend hours trying to convince others you made the right choice the great for you. I'm happy with my choices in optics and don't spend much time trying to find another (supposed) 1%. If any of you think optics people are nuts go over to the camera forums, they have people debating the merits of lenses that cost more than all my optics and I have some decent stuff. There was one lens on ebay that cost a big chunk of the price of my house.
Steve
Can we please get back to normal nuttiness and quit acting like brats.

Too much depends on the mind set of the user. Far too many people place far too much faith in the quality of the equipment. Binoculars don't make the birder. Some people need fancier equipment to enjoy themselves, others need less fancy equipment. Buy what you can afford, enjoy what you buy. Pretty simple it would seem.

Last edited:
Aggregating all the posts about this great model and that one, and the complaints about
even $2000 binoculars (for one individual or the other), and considering the ages and other
eye complaints, it seems:
---For some, $300 is more than enough
---For others, $2000 is still not enough

This is quite possible, if your eyes need increasing help.
There is a proclivity towards higher powers and faster focus with age.
This makes perfect sense if acuity and focusing powers are fading.

At the shop, I can tell the difference between $180 Diamondbacks
and $400 Monarch 7s, but it's subtle. I can see the Swarovski CL's being
a tad better, but in the field, it doesn't mean anything to me.
The 2014 Diamondbacks and the Vanguards are amazing...to me.

As we approach and cross over the $1000 mark, I get irritated with the
handling and hyper-peppy focusing. They seem like more of a
visual prosthesis than an instrument. If I needed constant re-focusing and
couldn't find the last arc-minute, they would help. If a Minox
seems sharper center-field, and tests out that way....it's designed
for different eyes. Sharper isn't always better if you have other issues.

It's not all fussing, though...
I suspect that if Zeiss had a dynamically IR-laser-retina-focused set,
a lot of people would gladly snap it up at $3000, because it would make
a big difference to the 'wearer'. Meanwhile, even $2000 can't fix all eye woes.
Using any binoculars over $100 without single-vision lenses is plain silly.

The highest contrast I have ever seen is from some 1960 Manons.
That wouldn't mean anything if my eyes had a higher grey level.
The widest sharp detail is in the Meopta Meopro 6.5x32s, but that takes study time,
and it's nowhere near enough power for some eyes. Some rave, others pan. They are
both right: it's their eyes.

Last edited:
Back on a more productive note than my last post, for those who have seen both, how well does the Conquest HD compare to the SV. The Kowa Genesis I would think should theoretically have better potential, and I thought the Minox BP was better overall. Looking at close objects around the base of a silver maple in my front yard the Minox actually resolves tiny detail within the bark even better than the SV, but the contrast, color, flat and sharp to the edge FOV, and just plain glow of the SV image makes even the very bright Minox look dull. It's unlike anything else I've ever seen. I don't have a ton of money, but I can see splurging on these once in my lifetime. I don't know where some people get off passing judgement on a hard working person for wanting to share their excitement on the purchase of a new binocular. I've also been very consistent in my praise for what is available in lower price models and will continue to use them. If two toilet paper rolls taped together do it for you, I say more power to you. If you step up to one of the best, why is that a reason to be verbally lambasted ?

Thanks for your post.

Just enjoy your sv.
Its state of the art for a binocular.
And like you said you don't see it getting much better than what you have.
I agree.
I did think the 10x50 I had was better in an optical sense than the 8x32, brighter more detail.
The 8x32 sv has all the boxes checked that matter most though so that's why I have it and don't intend to sell it.
Cheaper optics have come along ways but IMO still come up short.
There is a reason why prices are ddifferent just the majority aren't as discrimitory when it comes to binoculars.
And yes that includes the Nikon se I have both and IMO the Swarovski has the superior image. Let the stoning begin!
Bryce...

Bruce, when your comparing are you hand holding or do you have tripods. The reason I'm asking is you state the Minox is showing sharper detail when looking at the bark of the maple tree. This to me doesn't jive, the sv's I have used all have been razor sharp with what I call excellent micro sharpness. In other words all the superlative comments you have made plus razor sharp. The only thing is the difference between the flat field verses the Porro image, and depending on the distance of the target viewed. I still say enjoy what you have, you earned it by putting hard work into them monetarily. They are great binoculars that are state of the art.

Bryce...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back