• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does MEOPTA use Dielectric or Silver mirror on the prism? (1 Viewer)

I wonder if we could have a recipe sub-forum? I have a good one for Chili Verde. I got it off a fly fishing forum. It was off topic there too as I recall. Cloudy Nights had a recipe sub forum, didn't it? I don't think you could comment on the recipes though.
Bob

Last edited:
Steve said: Brock speaking of thousandth of acrseconds Rick already posts on Cloudy Nights/Days.:)

Yes, I know, Rick is on my CN Friends List. We have PMed each other.

I was just busting his chopsticks. He's a great guy.

(Plus, I don't want to lose my "Tokyo connection" when all the world except Japan runs out of Nikon classic porros! :)

Bob, you're going to get a "schoolmarmish knuckle rapping" for that kind of culinary tomfoolery (thanks for that phrase, Henry, it is so true!).

I agree that this thread has been exhausted. I know I'm exhausted!

Henry, I respect you enormously even though when you go too "quant" for me to follow your intricate calculations, you do so with grace and patience in trying to explain it "long hand" to us mathophobes, so I will take your sagely advice to strike a "happy medium" on BF threads (but not in my Gumbo, which I don't like Medium but "HOT"! :).

However, I don't think my post here was "wildly irrelevant" but rather evolutionary, and I've had PMs from others who agreed.

I think our difference of opinion on this stems my "stream of consciousness" way of thinking (I think that was what Rick was trying to say above), which is a vastly different approach than a quant's methodical step-by-step analysis.

However, if there are no objections and all that needed to be said about the silver vs. dielectric coatings OP has been said, I will end it, and we can continue the "incremental changes" discussion on the other thread I posted.

<THE END>

Last edited:
AR and dielectric coatings are usually "ion assisted"

That particular description applies to lens coatings (i.e. AR coatings) not reflective dielectric mirror coatings.

They're all (AR, dielectric and phase-correction) just multilayers of metal oxides of precise thickness and compositions each on optimized for a particular task done in the same equipment.

The question is not can Meopta make dielectric coatings (they can and they do e.g. Zeiss Diascope they OEM) it is are they used in the MeoStar bins. The answer seems to be "Perhaps, yes" but they don't make it clear anywhere that they actually do. Hence these threads!

This is all rather puzzling. I had suspected that the transmission curves would give an indication as to whether a bin had dielectric or silver prism coatings.
In last year's "Vögel" test of 10x42 bins the Meopta Meostar showed not only a high maximum value of over 90% in between 590 and 650 nm but also a very gentle decline to 770 nm. This was also the case with the silver-coated Nikon HG-L DCF and with the two porro bins and the Zeiss FL, which with its Abbe-König prisms does not require a mirror coating.
Those bins with dielectric coatings showed a very sharp decline into the red. For example, the transmission of the Swarovision had fallen to 10% at 720 nm.
Strangely the Leica Ultravid HD (surely dielectric coated?) was the exception and showed a gentle decline to 50% at 770 nm.
Thoughts anyone?

John

John:

There are 2 recent binocular reviews that may help in looking at the Meopta Meostar. The other thread on here, recently links to the Europa-Ginkell, review, pg. 6. Highly reflective mirror does seem to mean di-electric as it refers to others in the same way. They do refer to the yellow cast.
Also check the Allbinos site where the recent review of the Meopta Meostar, 8x32, 3-11-11, mentions the "Noticeably yellow image, Big difference between red and blue" color presentation, that is probably not associated with prism coatings, but other lens coatings.
These tests are what was found in reviews both less than 6 months old, as far as changes along the way, that seems to be a good guess.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back