• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How waterproof is the ES80? (1 Viewer)

Guizotia

I have an ES80 ED with the famous black case. I'm getting tired of the faffing about I have to do with the case, which sets me to wonder how necessary it is.

With other brands it seems simple to check what 'JIS class' they are but I cannt find out this info for the ES80. I also don't have the original manual to know what that might say about what "100% nitrogen waterproof" really means in the field.

Can anyone shed any light or give me any advice?

If it is padded as I believe then I would really recommend keeping it on! Certainly reduces the worrying if you drop it.

As far as the waterproofing is concerned I don't know the specifics but my Opticron binoculars which are described in much the same way have stood up to the fiercest of gales.

The ES80 is completely waterproof and sealed and filled with nitrogen which means that it will not internally fog. Opticron would not label this instrument as "Waterproof" and give it a 30 year guarantee if it was not.

Im sorry Chris but i have to disagree.

The ES80 is not very waterproof whan exposed to constant rain. I had mine out for folk to use on guided walks throughout the summer and had it fog up badly twice.Saying that it was out in realy poor conditions where it got a proper soaking and i didnt even have a bin bag in my pocket.(muppet).

In its favour it has proved pretty shower proof. I have been using it over the last two years or so with out a cover. Add to this it is slung over my back and carried every where on a motor bike whatever the season!!. I think overall it has aquited its self realy well.

If you are going to use it with out the case then you could tape around the eye piece base and the joins in the prisim housing. I also put a bit of tape over the back of the focus wheel so the water would run off a bit. The eye piece its self i protected with a cover made from a shampoo botle that was a snug fit and covered the whole thing down to the tape. It looked unatractive but seemed to do the job fine.

For a back up i often had the tightly rolled up bin bag in a pocket!!

I got an Opti case for christmas but have been totaly unimpressed. The press studs that hold the eye piece cover out the way are hard to use and come undone in the wind. The focus wheel one came off completly by boxing day. A load of kack for sixty quid. I might have to scrounge some big elastic bands off the postman when he comes around.!!

Taping the joins and carrying a bin bag if I get caught out sounds like a plan. Thanks everyone especially dafi.

I trust that Opticron would fix it if water got in but I would rather not have the inconvenience. I think there's a reason why they sell a waterproof case for an apparently waterproof scope. The JIS levels make you think about what waterproof really means!

I say again that if this model was not waterproof then a company that prides itself on the customer service that it delivers to its customers then Opticron would not offer a 30 year guarantee. I think that perhaps you may have a piece of equipment that needs to be returned to Opticron. If your ES80 has fogged twice then I would send it back to Opticron. I'm sure that the guys at Opticron would be very interested to learn of your problems and be keen to address the issues for you.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are JIS levels?

JIS = Japanese Industrial Standards

JIS waterproof levels (or 'grades') are described on this page (under the dust levels):

http://www.opticsplanet.net/water-proof.html

and summarised in this forum post:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=784&PN=1

It makes you realise, that there's 'waterproof' and there's 'waterproof', and really you want the manufacturer to clarify what they mean by waterproof. This thread lists some of the manufacturers claimed JIS levels for their scopes:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1197089&postcount=6

I can't find such a clarification from Opticron about the ES80, probably because I can't find the manual or warranty. I have emailed them to ask but was hoping someone here would find it in the manual.

Last edited:
You well may be right Chris and Tony, a service might be in order.! The thing I was trying to say was the two times when I had a problem I had it out for three hours in constant rain. It really was adverse conditions (pouring). If I had been out on my own I would have given up for the day before we started but some times its not an option, every one who attended the walks on those days came away soaked through! I think most scopes might struggle to cope in the circumstances. I wasn’t sure about drying it out but I removed the eye piece and stood it vertically up above a radiator set on its lowest setting for a few days and I cleared it right up with no problems. I don’t know where the water got in but I suspect the eye piece and focus wheel. Its not been a problem again

My ES was a second hand buy from the forum. It was as new and has preformed flawlessly since I have had it. Its has a proper hard life and goes out in most weathers. I left it in the peat hill for four days and nights in September with out any ill effects (oops).

All in all I think they are superb scopes. One of the reasons for me buying the ES was cos it says waterproof on the side

I would be interested to know what Opticron actually say about how waterproof the ES actually is. I don’t know but I think that they don’t guarantee it to be 100% waterproof.

Ring the Opticron office on 01582 726 522 I think that you'll find that they will be interested to hear about your problem, the guarantee on Opticron products is also transferrable.

I would be interested to know what Opticron actually say about how waterproof the ES actually is. I don’t know but I think that they don’t guarantee it to be 100% waterproof.

I have contacted Opticron and will post their reply here.

Well here it is from the lion's mouth. Reply from Opticron clarifying the waterproofness of the Mk II ES80:

If the body is undamaged and the integrity of the seals intact then the ‘scope should withstand persistant rain showers, but not submersion.

That's interesting, I was under the impression that to be classed as waterproof optics had to be submergable and that the ability to with stand rainsimple made it weatherproof.

Hi All,

Both the original ES80 GA (circa 2003) and the MK1 (from 2004) were only 'rain proof' waterproof , so NOT fully Nitrogen Waterproof like the new MK11 version (2006 onwards). I assume from the catalogue descriptions then that both the original and MK1 versions could take a bit of rain but not submersion. The current model with its new body claims to be 'nitrogen waterproof' but gives no submersion figures, unlike Opticrons nitrogen waterproof binoculars. So its a valid question....Are the 'nitrogen waterproof' scopes truely submersible?.

Steve

Hi All,

Both the original ES80 GA (circa 2003) and the MK1 (from 2004) were only 'rain proof' waterproof , so NOT fully Nitrogen Waterproof like the new MK11 version (2006 onwards). I assume from the catalogue descriptions then that both the original and MK1 versions could take a bit of rain but not submersion. The current model with its new body claims to be 'nitrogen waterproof' but gives no submersion figures, unlike Opticrons nitrogen waterproof binoculars. So its a valid question....Are the 'nitrogen waterproof' scopes truely submersible?.

Steve

Well see my quote from Opticron above - they state the scope is "100% nitrogen waterproof" in the literature but clarify above that it is not submersible.

I only want to avoid the disruption of having to get the scope fixed if it did get water in it. If it was claimed as submersible I would have greater confidence with it in the rain, but if it is only guaranteed to be waterproof in the rain, I have a lower level of confidence in it.

Last edited:
I think mine is the Mk1 so is only rain proof (not monsoon proof).

I wouldnt worry too much about it Guizotia,mine gets rained on a fair bit and i am quite confident in its shower proofness.

In the unlikly event of it ever foging its easy to dry out although it takes a wee bit of time. The one thing i would add tho if you have to dry it out is dont rush it and to place a lint free cloth over the eye piece hole. The condensation will pass through it to the air and the cloth will prevent dust from entering the scope body.

Like i said tho i wouldnt worry too much about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back