• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Mm2 Upgrade (1 Viewer)

harold9649

Hi
At present i have a MM2 non ED with a SDL zoom eyepiece as i wear glasses this suits me.
For a while i was hoping to upgrade to say a GES ED 80MM.
However i am not as young as i was or as fit so have decided to stick to a small scope.I also do a lot of walking in the hills so something small will suit my needs.
Would appreciate opinions on me upgrading to a MM2 ED scope would it be much better than the non ED.Also would the GS52 ED be much better than what i have I know the GS52 ED is a bit heavier..
I do intend to stick to OPticron as i have a good eyepiece.
Harold

Hello Harold,

My girlfriend uses a MM2 ED on a monopod & this appears to be a good combo. The image is bright & with good contrast & has a wide VOF with the 27x eyepeice. I would recommend having a look at the Nikon ED50, though I think the difference in price between this & the MM isnt justified when comparing the image quality. The only downside to the MM is the build quality but a decent SOC would sort this.

Hi Harold,

Your right the GS 52ED is a bit heavier than both the MM2 Models. Weighing in at 754g for the straight and 759g for the angled. So it is roughly the same weight as an average pair of full size 42mm Binoculars.

Optically IMO the GS 52 ED is brighter and just as sharp as the MM2 ED, plus what you gain in weight with the GS 52 ED you make up with in other area's, for example it is waterproof and nitrogen filled, with a duel focus wheel with a fast and fine focus option, and a 30 year guarantee (10 years on a MM2)

The best thing to do is try before you buy where possible in your area, if you need any info on Stockists near you call our office on the number below and they will give you your best options.

01582 726 522

Cheers

Last edited:
As a very happy user of the GS52ED I'd recommend the scope to anyone. It's very well balanced and I can even use it with a pistol grip without too much difficulty.

I have both at the moment and am torn about which to get rid of...

My initial impression is that the focusing on the GS52 seems heavier and slower than the MM2. Considering most birds don't hang around this may be a factor you want to take into account. My GS52 hasn't left the house yet, which might tell you something.

If I decide to spend more to get into digiscoping I'll go with the GS52 but having something on hand while walking as an alternative to binoculars the MM2 is going to be hard to beat...

It's the non ED but I doubt there's a 'night and day' difference between the two.

For short bursts of viewing when out walking around coasts, lakes, etc I doubt it's important. If you spend time sitting in hides with the light fading then it may be of more significance.

Cleme,

You ought to take out the GS52 GA ED out into the field because there is a world of difference between a standard MM2 52 and the GS 52 GA ED. You really are comparing apples with oranges and without field testing.

Chris Galvin
Regional Sales Manager
Opticron

Cleme,

You ought to take out the GS52 GA ED out into the field because there is a world of difference between a standard MM2 52 and the GS 52 GA ED. You really are comparing apples with oranges and without field testing.

Chris Galvin
Regional Sales Manager
Opticron

Well, it's certainly a robust looking bit of kit next to the MM2 and I hope I was making it clear I hadn't really tested the two side by side (apart from out of my windows).

My enthusiasm for Opticron has grown since buying the GS52 but there's no getting away from the fact that the MM2 is fast to use and light to carry though!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back