• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Forum ? (1 Viewer)

One of the Seven Great Mysteries of the modern world: why does the Bf. bins subforum list begin Leica, Nikon, Swarovski, Zeiss? If the original idea was to first have "the alphas" in alphabetical order and then proceed...

Ya know, I always wondered about that. I would probably just do alphabetical if I had to start from scratch. ;)

I can't say for sure but at the time Bird Forum originated the binoculars used by most of the members on the forum were probably Leica Nikon and Zeiss. Those are the ones, along with Bushnell, which I saw most in use at Birding sites like Hawk Mountain in the 80's and 90's.

Bob

Last edited:
looksharp 65, and pompadour,
Thanks for that... I'll look for colors in future bins.

I do know I can't see everything in one outing. The next day my opinions nearly reverse. I liked the Nikon M7 picture, then the fit/adjustments became frustrating. Then discovered its 10x close focus to ~5 feet, and spent a long time "walking" among the leaves and sticks in my garden... that was an eye opener. Too bad about the glare. Then got the adjusting down and the light weight became a real plus for hikes. All that M7 growing took place over a week+ time.

Who would have known?
Bob

A Meopta bino forum has now been created, populated with this thread and previous Meopta threads.
Best regards,
Andy
BF Admin

Sweet! Someone should let Meopta Man know. ;)

Andy or someone else from BF's management team probably did, but just in case, I sent Meopta Man a PM and an email about the new sub-forum and asked him to check it out.

I think it's great that all the Meopta threads on now in the same place so they are easier to search. Thanks, Andy!

Now let's encourage Meopta to introduce a 7x42 HD.

Brock

Congrats on the Meopta subforum!
As a Meopta spectator, I'm loving all the transferred threads.
I'm hoping they do something extra in FOV sometime soon.

or maybe Cabela's

edj

Edwin:

I think that is wishful thinking about Cabelas requesting a
Euro 7x42 HD.

They sell mostly 10x42 binoculars, and that is the size they were
first to get with their own branded Euro 10x42 HD.

Now, maybe Meopta will come out with one someday, so you
could have hope, they do make one in the regular Meostar B1.
Zeiss and Swaro. have dropped 7x42, but Leica has the Ultravid,
and Nikon with the EDG.

Jerry

first light-

my meopta/cabela 10x32 HD came today
lives up to hype/expectation

edj

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5-6th light

snowed in , cold outside,
setting my my warm living room,
with the 10x32 HDs

watching the bird feeders
at least a dozen different birds,
esp gold finches and cardinals

a good, colorful weekend
thank you meopta/cabela

edj

The best thing to appreciate our support is to facilitate the 7x42HD hopefully within 28 oz. and with dielectric coating. LOL

In reality Meopta would have to do the same things for their 8x42 and 10x42 and 8x56 and 12 x 50 and then the 7x42 would end up competing with the 8x42 which is probably why Swarovski dropped theirs.

If buyers could live without the dielectric coatings (and with a 6mm exit pupil it probably could do without it) it might have a chance if it sold at a realistically lower price than the 8x42. I'm talking at least $100.00 less.

Nikon doesn't make any 50 or 56mm EDG binoculars and can fit a 7x42 in their lineup without too much trouble. Swarovski and Meopta do make binoculars in those formats and don't need a "loss leader" competing in their 42mm lineup.

Bob

for those few, apparently really few, who want the 7x42s
what is wrong with the traditional 7x50s

edj

Edwin,

7x50 is likely my favorite format, though it is relatively rare; some people likely do not appreciate the weight of the 50mm objective lenses. 42mm objective lenses also tend to have slightly more expanded FoV than their 50mm counterparts (e.g. 380'@1000yds vs 418'@1000yds in the Meostar B1).

Justin

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back