• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Hi Davide,

Your English is very good, 100% better than my Italian!

I have watched your video and enjoyed it very much. For a compact camera attached to a scope I think the results are excellent. Almost every shot was in focus and the composition was good.

It is difficult for me to suggest ways of improving the stability. Using high zoom/magnifications will cause the slightest vibration to be more noticeable. The wind and moving the pan handle on the tripod are the two main problems that I have. I notice that some of your birds fill the frame. Perhaps by zooming out a little you will give the bird more "space" to move within the frame so that you do not have to move your scope so often to follow it.

I find when shooting at maximum zoom whilst holding the pan handle that my heartbeat or pulse is transmitted through to the scope and causes a slight but noticeable vibration which shows when viewing the video on screen. The only way I can stop this is to set up the camera and scope on the bird and try to get all the action within the frame without moving the pan handle. At lower magnification the problem is not so obvious.

When your tripod head is fully tightened is there any loose "play" between the head and tripod? I used to use a 701RC2 and found that after a few months there was some play, possibly caused by wear, that showed as slight movement in the video shots. I now use a 701HDV head which is more stable.

Another option would be to buy a sturdier head, such as the 501. This model is popular for video work and is also used to support heavier equipment allowing smoother panning and control of the scope.

I wish you the best of luck with your videoscoping. If I can be of any further help please contact me.

Best wishes,

Mike

Thank you Mike!
Your suggestions are great. I know touching the scope causes vibrations but, for me, the BIG problem is to find a correct, proper and fair composition BEFORE the little actor fly away! With a 701RC2 this is very difficult! Do you know if a GEARED HEAD like Manfrotto 405 can be helpful in this case? When I see the bird I need quickly more accuracy in composition. Have I made myself clear?

Bye ;)

Last edited:
Hi Davide,

I have no experience of the 405 geared head but from what I have read it is more suitable for photographing static subjects. I think that it would be difficult to adjust quickly for videoscoping. If I was to buy another head for videoscoping it would be a 501. It has been recommended by other BF members for video work.

Are you saying that you have difficulty finding the bird through the scope before you begin shooting? Is it because of the high magnification? What eyepiece do you have on your scope?

When videoscoping I set the camera and eyepiece to the lowest zoom setting to allow me to find the bird. Once I have done that I then increase the zoom to begin shooting.

If I still do not understand your problem please contact me again.

Mike

Dear Mike,
obviously my bad english prevents me to explain clearly. I don't "have difficulty finding the bird through the scope before shooting". I find easily the bird, then I zoom it what I want and now here is the problem: I need moving (in the four directions) slightly and quickly the frame for obtain a perfect composition (rule of thirds for example) but, in many cases, during the time spent for these little adjustments the bird fly away. So I thought a geared head can be helpful. Now is that clear?

Thank You Mike
you are very kind.

Davide ;)

You need a gimbal mount to use your scope in perfect balance to get you the freedom of movement you want. You might get similar movement with a head that uses a counterbalance spring such as a Gitzo G2180 but it will probably show some backlash in video.

ciao,
Rick

You need a gimbal mount to use your scope in perfect balance to get you the freedom of movement you want. You might get similar movement with a head that uses a counterbalance spring such as a Gitzo G2180 but it will probably show some backlash in video.

ciao,
Rick

Ciao Rick
can you define, please, head that uses a counterbalance spring and some backlash in video?

Thank you!;)

Hi Davide,

I now understand your problem better. Do you lock (tighten) the pan and tilt controls on the 701 head before you begin shooting? Try slackening the pan and tilt controls just enough to allow some movement of the scope. I have them set just tight enough for the scope to stay balanced, but just loose enough to make small adjustments to follow movement of the bird. Again I would recommend not using too high a zoom setting to allow the bird to move within the frame. By using this method you do not have to recompose your shot so often.

Does your scope balance well on the head or does it droop a little each time you tighten the controls? I had to buy a 357 Sliding Plate Adapter to mount on top of the head to get my scope to balance correctly.

Mike

Hi Davide,

I have not tried either of the two accessories that you have mentioned. The first one looks large and heavy and will upset the balance of your scope. The second one you will probably find difficult to reposition quickly when trying to follow a bird.

How do you attach your camera to your scope?

Mike

Davide, I have the Kowa 883 and my main use is digiscoping. The 701RC2 is not substancial enough to support the 88mm Kowa properly for supertelephoto photography and video. You need a different video head or a gimbal for your camera/scope configuration. If weight is not a concern, then the Manfrotto 501HDV would be my choice. But then you may need to upgrade the tripod too. I recommend a 8x layer carbon fiber type.

Rick

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back