• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (2 Viewers)

I appreciate that this will not be thrilling for most people, but I've just had a low-flying mute swan heading westwards over my garden. I've never seen one in/over a garden in 23 years and nine addresses of London living so am quite chuffed.

That makes me feel better: I added Mute Swan to my garden list only last year, which took only 9 years! Whooper swans fly over several times every winter without fail, but Mute swans clearly take different routes (or, as their name suggests, are more stealthy!)

Not a lot going on recently, but heard a distant melody from trees a few doors down, while out in the garden yesterday afternoon:

37. Blackcap

A couple of species to add to the list from last week, one presumably missed in error earlier in the year:

38. Herring gull (surely not the first I've seen over the garden this year, but I don't appear to have listed it so far)
39. Oystercatcher

Long time lurker and admirer.
Dying to share - Calling Nightjar, very distantly on Saturday night heard whilst standing in my garden having a fag! They are present through the season around 1.25 miles away but there is suitable habitat closer, which they're presumably trying out this year, so not too surprising really. Nice garden bird! 81 in total.
Dave Walters (Delamere, Cheshire)

Bienvenue Dave, what a treat to hear Nightjar from the garden, why not do a garden yearlist with the rest of us reprobates ( I'm assuming 81 is your all- time total?)?

Displaying pair of Lesser Spotted Eagles today, joined by adult White-tailed Eagle ...very nice.

Don't White-tailed Eagles occasionally predate Lesser Spotted Eagles? On a trip to Latvia some years ago, we were shown an adult White-tailed Eagle which the local ornithologists kept to attract Lesser Spotted Eagles for ringing purposes as they came to mob it.

All the best

Hi guys, yes 81 is the overall total, just about 2 & 1/2 years. It's only a small to medium sized garden but the habitat all around is excellent so always loads of potential. Other than Nightjar no real surprises although Mediterranean Gull is regular if you put the time in watching the gulls depart local quarries in the evening. Can't actually see any water bodies due to loads of trees but in-flight waterfowl and GC Grebes are fairly regular so that bumps it up. I'll keep you posted!
BTW Half-two, remember me? I was a mate of Gregsy
Dave

That makes me feel better: I added Mute Swan to my garden list only last year, which took only 9 years! Whooper swans fly over several times every winter without fail, but Mute swans clearly take different routes (or, as their name suggests, are more stealthy!)
I'd actually forgotten quite how much noise their wings make - these days I normally just see them hanging out on the Thames.

This nest was almost cut by electric hedge cutter last saturday but luckily seen in time.
Several nests again this year in garden hedges and trees etc ,didnt know there was one just there.
Can someone tell me name of the bird ?

Attachments

• IMG_0601.jpeg
    IMG_0601.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0603.jpeg
    IMG_0603.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
see post 627. I have nightjar on my Turkey house list but also one evening a stone curlew flew down the street at roof level calling. I expected nighjar they are often around the Sitesi at dusk. stone curlew was completely unexpected despite their being present on the nearby police academy land.

Well done Brenda. I had a similar experience with a Blackbirds' nest - all ok here too.

Two nice new additions so far this morning:

Bullfinch & Nuthatch.

Which, I think, takes me to 50.

Last edited:
You didn't hang about H, and unlike the rest of us, you'll have some winter ones to add later!
At our old place wE had Dunnock and Marsh Warblers a'plenty, both absent here, I had therefore resigned myself to not having today's addition:

69 Cuckoo

calling down by the river, I wonder which species could be on the Cuckoo's hit list' down there, is Robin possible?

Well done Brenda. I had a similar experience with a Blackbirds' nest - all ok here too.

Two nice new additions so far this morning:

Bullfinch & Nuthatch.

Which, I think, takes me to 50.

What's your "combined" abode list now H?

What's your "combined" abode list now H?

You know, I've no idea, Ken. I don't think I've got more than three or four here which I didn't have on the old list.

A Siskin close by today, but I was 50mtrs from the garden at the time.
Today there are Nuthatches calling - maybe the young are out of the nest - like the Greater 'peckers that are frequenting the garden at the moment. Dispersal time could bring a few more my way in the next month, I guess.

Went out looking for Hobby again today - to no avail - though I did find a Grass Snake, which was great.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back