• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Undescribed (1 Viewer)

Plataforma Antbird

It is very similar apart from the colour of the bare area around the eye (grey vs blue) and (apparently) song.

Interesting that this news has been out for a while (offline) but I think the first people to put this bird on to the internet were Manu Expeditions (recent trip report on Surfbirds). I guess all of the tour companies are keen to get new business for the 2017 season. I'll be there next year B :)

cheers, alan

Still available at Plataforma (seen a few weeks ago) but habitat continues to be lost and known birds are taped out and /or not responding well.

cheers, alan

Hemitriccus sp nov

I thought I was up to speed on most of the new taxa in Brazil but have only just spotted this one:

"SNETHLAGE'S TODY-TYRANT (Hemitriccus minor) – Seen well on both sides of the Madeira: an undescribed, species-level taxon on the west side; and nominate minor on the Roosevelt (east of the Madeira)."

http://fieldguides.com/triplists/roo16.html

Apologies if already covered upthread

cheers, alan

Off there next year :) So many interesting taxa in that part of the Amazon.

Pelzeln's Tody-tyrant

http://fieldguides.com/triplists/mao16a.html

Two species apparently:

"PELZELN'S TODY-TYRANT (Hemitriccus inornatus) [*]

TODY-TYRANT SP. (Hemitriccus sp. nov.?) – This bird's sister species is Pelzeln's Tody-Tyrant and only occurs left of the Negro. The species is awaiting description by Mario Cohn-haft "

The Field Guide trip reports and species lists are worth routine checking!

cheers, alan

Yellow-browed Antbird - new species?

http://fieldguides.com/triplists/gr115.html

"YELLOW-BROWED ANTBIRD (Hypocnemis hypoxantha) – Excellent, close studies of a responsive male of what Bret told us should prove to be a new species. "

Edit: "[CHESTNUT-TAILED] ANTBIRD (Myrmeciza [hemimelaena] sp. nov.?) – This is potentially a new undescribed species just waiting for Bret to do the official description. We had a lovely cooperative pair en route to the campina." Assume this is the same one as at Roosevelt and not 'another' new CT Antbird (ie fourth species)

Crikey - loads of them!

cheers, alan

Last edited:
Gnateater sp nov?

[CHESTNUT-BELTED] GNATEATER (Conopophaga [aurita] sp. nov.?) – Another potentailly new species. We had incredible close views of a pair of these gorgeous birds on an otherwise rather quiet afternoon along the Jaguar
Trail (which sadly, was jaguar-free).

link as in previous post - plenty of new forms in these Amazonian interfluvia

cheers, alan

I only know 3:
“Whitney’s Nighthawk” Nyctiprogne (leucopyga?). Bret Whitney & Mario Cohn-Haft found this bird in the Jau National Park close to Manaus. It is rather common in some places, very similar to the Band-tailed Nighthawk, but the call is completely different.

Do you happen to know more ?

Daniel

I had not recalled this, but already mentioned..

cheers, alan

Hi folks

Recently lucky enough to travel to e Peru near border with Bolivia. There we saw an antwren which was similar to creamy-bellied but with an all black cap (no white spots). It responded to creamy - bellied call, not to black - capped. This population is known about and is mentioned in the birds of Peru as possibly an isolated population or a closely related species. I asked Tom Schulenberg and he said it's considered to be an undescribed species. Does anyone know anything about this? If a different species, on what basis (given responds to creamy - bellied).

While I'm about it, is there a good resource anywhere giving descriptions of abancay hummingbird, ampay tapaculo and abancay thistletail? I was only able to find cursory references with a quick Google (I do not have an hbw subscription)

Cheers

Erythropitta (s)sp

Joseph Kelly, Arief Rahman, Ingo Grass, Johny S. Tasirin & Matthias Waltert. Avifaunal status updates, range extensions and potential new taxa on
the lesser Sangihe and Talaud islands, Indonesia. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology 65: 482–496.

Abstract:

The Sangihe-Talaud Endemic Bird Area harbours one of the highest densities of endemic and threatened bird species in the world. Despite this, there have been no ornithological studies of many of the islands in modern times, and some have no records at all. Using both investigative and more systematic methods, 13 islands were surveyed to gain a comprehensive overview of the resident species. The findings include range extensions for a number of endemic, range-restricted and/or threatened species, as well as completely new regional records. Of particular interest are the seven Nanusa islands, lying north-east of Talaud. Previously there were no published reports for any faunal group here, yet cluster analyses show that these islands have the most unique avifaunal assemblage within Sangihe-Talaud. Most interestingly, there is at least one potential new taxa—an Erythropitta that is clearly different from the nearby Talaud Pitta (Erythropitta inspeculata). Two new records for SangiheTalaud, lemon-bellied white-eye (Zosterops chloris) and island whistler (Pachycephala phaionota), require further investigation to determine their taxonomic status. Another notable finding was the complete lack of evidence for the continued existence of the Siau scops-owl (Otus siaoensis), a Siau island-endemic only known from a single holotype. This study shows that important avifaunal discoveries remain in Indonesia, and that the conservation value of small islands should not be dismissed due to their size or inaccessibility.

[pdf]

May be worth flagging up a couple of Australian new species contenders, no doubt already covered ages back but worth a reminder: The most intriguing is the Dusky-type Grasswren from the S Kimberley, photographed at Pinnacle Creek on Mt Pierre Station in April 1991 by the late Charles Sandbrink. The pic was widely circulated and published in what was then Wingspan (RAOU), but the excellent new "Grasswrens Australian Outback Identities" by Andrew Black and Peter Gower has a good account of the sighting and a nice shot of the bird. It looks very dark and appears to have whitish tail tips, and it's a huge long distance away from any other Dusky-type grasswren, and is suggested to be along the lines of the Kalkadoon/Dusky split. It has been looked for twice, most recently in July 2010 by experienced field workers for the Australian National Wildlife Collection, but given the elusive nature of grasswrens not locating it is not surprising, it's bound to be out there somewhere.

The other one is the taxon of what may or may not be Spotted Quail-thrush, which is known from the Ravenshoe area, hundreds of km from the next known population and again in a group where isolated forms may have great taxonomic significance. I have been appallingly slack and not gone to look for it, which I should and will, but the finder has largely kept it under wraps for various reasons, one of which is a fear of museum collectors coming in to get specimen series of it.

Oh yes, based on the new book comments I think things are looking good for the split of Opalton (Rusty) Grasswren and Pilbara Grasswren.

Cacicus sp. (cf. oseryi)

I couldn't find this posted here, my apologies if it already has been:

Cacicus sp. (cf. oseryi) - HBW Alive

Photo taken Nov. 2017. Translation of comments (from Portuguese):

A possible new species
It was a lot of emotion to see the details of this creature that was the main objective of our trip to Rio Juruena, MT. We were behind the nest discovered by Vitor Torga and Bruno Rennó, which we greatly appreciated, but unfortunately there were no more nests. When we got back to our research area, we noticed that the animals were sleeping in a bamboo tree behind our dormitory. A trip made by Lab ornito UFMT, company Pinho, Piacentini, Antonio, Tiago, Elton.Apoio ONF International, ONF Brasil, Peugeot.

Liam

Sorry for double/triple posting, but Megascops isssues seems to be present in a multitude of threads (also in fairly recent ones) here in the Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature Forum ... no wonder; Screech-owl Taxonomy is a tricky thing.

However; does anyone know the answer to my latest question; here?

If so; please answer in that thread.

Grateful for any help!

Björn

A survey of the eastern uplands of Yapen Island, New Guinea, reveals three new species records.

A very interesting paper detailing the discovery of a jewel-babbler resembling Ptilorrhoa geislerorum in the uplands of Yapen.

A potential new species of Anthreptes sunbird in the Rubeho Mountains, Tanzania:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back