• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Cyprus (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Looking for information on birding spots in Northern Cyprus. I’m staying in the Ozanköy area and I’m mostly looking for spots that would produce a good/most selection of species. Any other helpful information I would be grateful. I have looked at the Kuskor website.
Regards Gerard

Notes from a week staying near Karavas on a family holiday in April 1998. Might be useful, but is nearly 20 years old! - Toby

Karavas and immediate area
This consisted of hotels, restaurants and residential houses but was not too built-up and contained good areas of lowland bushy shrub and coastal dunes as well as mountainous slopes - accessible via the nearby mountain village of Karmi (Karaman).

Kyrenia area
Kyrenia itself is quite densely populated (by Turkish Cypriot Standards). The nearby mountain villages of St. Hilarion and Bellapais (Beylerbeyi) have good birding areas.

Panagra (Gecitkoy) Reservoir
Two short trips were made to this resevoir which, as well as the water, contained good areas of bushy shrub.

North-west tip
The coastal cliff road from Orga (Kayalar) to Liveras (Sadrazamkoy) passed through excellent shrub habitat; the point, west of Liveras, was particularly good and this was visited on a couple of mornings.

Panhandle
A single trip was made to the North-east peninsula (a three hour drive from Kyrenina). This was by far the best birding area visited. The area around the 'Blue Sea' hotel - on the southern coastal road, east of Rizokarpaso (Dipkarpaz) - and around the monastry at Ap Andreas were particularly good. Sea-watching is good off the Zafer Burnu (north-east point).

Salamis
A single trip was made to the ruins just north of Famagusta (Gazimagusa). Good forest and shrub habitat surround the ruins.

Thanks for the reply Toby. I’ll check out the areas you have suggested although I suspect they have become more developed(hopefully not) since then.
I’ll have my own car so traveling to these spots is not out of the question. From the information I’ve been gathering through various websites and with your help a picture seems to be building of three spots in particular that seem to hold the best potential. The panhandle, the north west tip and the mountains behind Kyrenia.
Looking forward to this trip.
Regards Gerard

Hi Gerard,
I remember the coastline near Paradise bungalows near Ozankoy was good,also saw my first Wall creeper at St Hilarion years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back