• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Discolouration and rusty hinges on Zeiss SF (1 Viewer)

Dennis

Salt air was the first thing I thought of too.

We spend a lot of time next to the sea and the salt in the air ate through the central hinge pin of my wife's Leicas (not her Ultravids, her Trinnies) and it split in two during servicing.

Did I create a fuss on BF about Leicas? Of course not.

Lee

Ouch! That sounds truly terrible! I hope the hinge on my SF won't rust through like that! :-C Maybe I should coat the exposed washer with something to protect it from rust, or will that void the warranty?

HN

Ouch! That sounds truly terrible! I hope the hinge on my SF won't rust through like that! :-C Maybe I should coat the exposed washer with something to protect it from rust, or will that void the warranty?

HN

HN

Its not your hinge that has traces of oxidation HN, it is just the outside edge of a washer. I am not worried about this at all. Personally I think that putting a coating on would be a bad idea as scratches in a coating can allow moisture in and once it gets under a coating it may not dry out. Uncoated it will dry out pretty quickly.

I think Dennis was on to something when speculated about salty air when near the sea, but this is not something I would lose sleep over.

Your pictures of the brown stain are of the underside of the bins where your thumbs go. Are there no stains on top where all your fingers rest?

Lee

If discoloration and staining showed up on a Swarovision there would be an unprecedented hue and cry on this forum unlike any other. :storm:

If discoloration and staining showed up on a Swarovision there would be an unprecedented hue and cry on this forum unlike any other. :storm:

Not to mention if I posted about the ELs that have been returned 'broken in two' as told to me by a former Swaro employee........ :eek!:

Lee

Acidic diabetic sweat and body grease don't stain SF

My SF is showing no signs of stains despite hard use during testing so I thought I would give it a double whammy in the interests of science.

My sweat is very acidic due to my diabetes and burns holes in normal metal spectacle frames (I have to buy titanium frames) so I thought it would be a good test to rub some of my sweat onto the armour. I did this a couple of days ago and by the way I put loads on there, enough for 'standing pools' or at least large drops that gradually dried out. On the other barrel I rubbed-in some body grease. It came from the side of my nose as I thought that getting it from darker corners was taking things too far.

Two days later there are still no stains.

If anything starts growing there I will let you know.

Lee

. Apparently, Niels Bohr put his Nobel prize in Aqua Regia and stored it in an impervious container, maybe glass, for the duration of World War II. He returned to his laboratory when he went back to Denmark, and gave the dissolved medal to the Nobel committee, who made him a new medal from the material. I'm not sure what purity gold the Nobel medals contain.

I'm wondering what would happen to a binocular if you put it in Aqua Regia.

Amateur astronomy reflecting telescopes that are used by coastal observers need fairly frequent recoating.

I would also be more than a little worried using fluorite or fluoride lenses and scopes in a coastal environment.

I had a 20.5 inch Newtonian which I stored in my garage. Within a week from new the coating had been stripped from the exhaust fumes of the classic Saab.
Instead of backing the car into the garage afterwards I drove the car into the garage the other way round.
Incidentally, I just found out that the mirror of this telescope was one 20th wave, which I find quite remarkable. I didn't pay for this quality. The mirror maker is just very good.

Seriously…..with ALL the issues you have had with your new SF….and you are just ONE consumer….it sure doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about ME buying a new SF!

Your pictures of the brown stain are of the underside of the bins where your thumbs go. Are there no stains on top where all your fingers rest?

Lee

There are some faint stains on the top right barrel of the binocular, but they are invisible on the pictures. I managed to scrub them off (mostly) with household soap. I haven't tried scrubbing with whitening toothpaste yet, as a certain other poster recommended.

HN

Seriously…..with ALL the issues you have had with your new SF….and you are just ONE consumer….it sure doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about ME buying a new SF!

Just give Zeiss a couple of years to tweak the design and improve quality control, and it will beat the Swarovski EL hands down! ;)

HN

There are some faint stains on the top right barrel of the binocular, but they are invisible on the pictures. I managed to scrub them off (mostly) with household soap. I haven't tried scrubbing with whitening toothpaste yet, as a certain other poster recommended.

HN
I don't even brush my teeth I'll be darned If I am going to start brushing my binoculars with toothpaste.

For what it's worth, I have been using a pair of Zeiss SF's for several months in Florida, on the coasts and inland; lots of rain and high humidity.
Having been told about this Thread, I examined them carefully and can report no issues whatsoever.
Oh and the view through them is outstanding...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back