• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (3 Viewers)

Hi Lou et al,

This gull is bugging me.....

I'm sure it's a Yellow-legged Gull. Herring in this sort of plumage would show white primary tips.

So, 3 cyr Yellow-leg?

Cheers,

Andy.

Attachments

• ylg.JPG
    ylg.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 66
  • YLG2.JPG
    YLG2.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 75
hm, those very pink legs are worrying. i'm more inclined to call it an advanced 3cy herring gull, anyhow a dark and abnormal plumaged bird. isn't it possible for herring gulls to show a grey MC bar right now? well, mantle seems very dark and head shape is square but i don't give much on that since all male large gulls can have square heads when relaxed. how was the iris colour? apical spots should be there in a normal 3cy YLG too (smalller and often worn off at this time of year, largest in p3-4)).
this ind. generally looks very worn.

and that's surely the male type 2cy casp to the right if it ;)

Last edited:
hm, those very pink legs are worrying. i'm more inclined to call it an advanced 3cy herring gull, anyhow a dark and abnormal plumaged bird. isn't it possible for herring gulls to show a grey MC bar right now? well, mantle seems very dark and head shape is square but i don't give much on that since all male large gulls can have square heads when relaxed. how was the iris colour? apical spots should be there in a normal 3cy YLG too (smalller and often worn off at this time of year, largest in p3-4)).
this ind. generally looks very worn.

and that's surely the male type 2cy casp to the right if it ;)

Certainly is the Casp in the mix. :t:

The darker bird: I first noticed it from half a mile away it stood out so much from the Herrings and LBBGs on the recycling centre roof. Very dark and long-winged (the latter point not so obvious in the pics perhaps). If it was a Herring, it would be 4cyr+ and surely would have apical spots. Per 'Gullresearchorg', 3cyr YLG can lack yellow legs and white apical spots (the latter point typically).

Cheers, Andy.

Can anyone ID this gull please? Digiscoped on Mallorca yesterday, only got 2 shots off before it flew, so I have no more details.
Clive.

Attachments

• DSCN8794-2.jpg
    DSCN8794-2.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 76
it's a 4/5cy michahellis. large dark bill marks in this age class are not at all rare.
structurally wrong for armenian and most armenian have dark irides. bill in armenian usually is shorter and stubbier, forehead steaper.

Thanks, Armin and Lou,
I was hoping for Armenian, but a local expert identified this as a 4th year michahellis, so confirms Lou's ID. I expected dirty marks on the back of the neck for michahellis, but this one looks clean white like an adult.
Clive.

a taste of danube delta...

once again on my guiding tour through romania i shot quite some pics of cachinnans, unfortunately most in really bad quality since i didn't have time to learn my new camera...and of course couldn't take time to get in real gull 'shooting' situation while guiding.

a record of this tour consisted in 9 gull species:

ichtyaetus
melanocephalus
minutus
ridibundus
genei
canus
fuscus
michahellis
cachinnans

a taste of them starting with the "queen" in nuptial dress - their closest breeding island is a new islet one formed by fluvial deposit right on the border of ukraine and romania (of course both countries claim it to be their territory - how else could it have been - and :-O:-Oin the end a sheppard is claiming the islet for his own to grase its few cattle :-O)

Attachments

• IMG_6132 - Kopie.JPG
    IMG_6132 - Kopie.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6151 - Kopie.jpg
    IMG_6151 - Kopie.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6154 - Kopie.jpg
    IMG_6154 - Kopie.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 75
Jupiter (Mangalia), May 27th 2012.

Attachments

• P5275714m.jpg
    P5275714m.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 51
  • P5275725m.jpg
    P5275725m.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 57
  • P5275723m.jpg
    P5275723m.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 52
  • P5275727m.jpg
    P5275727m.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 42
  • P5275729m.jpg
    P5275729m.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back