• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

the heron needs that space....I'm sure you have the message by now....simply lovely....not a stroke more or less needed.

love keeping track of the grins with you thanks for posting

My saw has been sheathed.

Yesterday lunchtime I saw the female grin sitting by 'the hole'. Her position was only about 2.5 metres from her usual spot but I think it could be significant simply because last year 'the hole' was where the birds tried to have their nest scrape. She was there again this morning and again the male was also in attendance. The sun is shining now and I'll bet they're sat out enjoying it. Sadly I have to stay here at the other end of the building and pretend to be busy, Grrr!

Mike

Attachments

• pere1-04-03.jpg
    pere1-04-03.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 68
much better than a webcam! Hope you get to pop over to the other side and have another look soon.

Just been up there to 'talk to the production department'. My meeting room viewpoint is full of erks from the dark side, suits with superior attitudes and zero personality! I got a quick look from a different window though and, currently, there are no birds to be seen...

Mike

Day off today so I've been able to finish off this little one. The female of the Paddington pair (10"x9").

In case anyone's interested 'The Grins' seem to have de-camped to the front of the building which means that I can't see them from the office any more. :-C

Anyway this is just a little experiment and there may be more to come based on 'The Grins'...I've got a few sketches to work from after all!

Mike

Attachments

• urban-pere-1-photo.jpg
    urban-pere-1-photo.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 76
Looks good Mike. A very urban 'grin. It's an odd juxtaposition but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the way many people see peregrines today. I know we have one at City Hall in Philadelphia though I've never seen it myself. (This is the germ of an idea though....)

With all those great sketches I can see a collection of paintings on the way, at least I hope so!

Very nice set of Peregrine sketches, Mike!

We're fortunate to have a pair of wild birds nesting on the cliffs by famous Snoqualmie Falls. Normally that would mean they weren't very visible to the public. However, the cliffs on which the Peregrines are nesting are directly across from viewing points for the falls...meaning birders and visitors can watch the birds through a scope for an intimate look at the life cycle. These birds have nested at the same location (different scrapes on occasion, however) for at least six years, and have successfully fledged around 20 young - they're becoming quite famous.

Here is a YouTube link made by a friend of mine who spends a ton of time each nesting season photographing and taking video of the pair. This clip shows them apparently 'discussing' where this year's scrape will be. The first egg should be coming really soon now! The link is at - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHt1Y4ebXDo.

Ha! Busted! Thanks Tim, I've just this minute come in from the restaurant with Tina who's birthday is also today. I am sitting some distance from the keyboard due to the food baby I'm currently carrying!

And it's been a pretty good day all in all, just being able to paint all day with no interruptions or DIY instructions has been bliss. :t:B :)

Off to bed now.

Mike

[

And it's been a pretty good day all in all, just being able to paint all day with no interruptions or DIY instructions has been bliss.

Mike[/QUOTE]

good days work alright- that's the real Peregrine for us lowlanders

Thanks all.

I'd not seen The Grins for a week and I was beginning to think that they'd maybe even moved off completely. This morning I came in to work and went via the front of the block that The Grins have been on. The female was on the top corner and the male took off from the front of the building, did a circuit, landed on his lady and copulated! Hopefully they can raise some young this year.

Before we went to celebrate our birthdays yesterday I had half hour or so to fill and wet paint on the palette so I decided to open a sketchbook at random and do a quick painting of whatever was on the page. And here it is.

For some reason this kestrel has ended up with the head structure of a hobby! Perhaps it's wishful thinking...

Mike

Attachments

• kestrel-sketch.jpg
    kestrel-sketch.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 68
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back