• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Frontiers Challenge Series - Autumn (1 Viewer)

Paul Higson

Anyone any thoughts on this yet ???

Know some folk have got it - think my Postie is having a shuftie at my copy . . . . cannot wait to get my hands on it.

I think it's very good, easy to read and well illustrated. Don't expect to have much cause to use some of the chapters in the UK, otherwise no complaints and further material available online.

Stephen

Picked up a copy at the Bird Fair' yesterday - when I have had a good look & have time I'll post a review. First initial thoughts are that it is superb on those species it covers (necessarily limited). Above all, unlike most such guides, it's not "talking at you", but engaging you in a conversation.

My copy arrives via the "ferry" soon here in Sutherland, must be more than four folk who have bought it . . . ??

Shall post my "review" tomorrow.

It was a popular buy at the Birdfair, lots of people mentioned getting it. But have not had chance to do any more than flick through it yet.

Steve

I cant seem to get the QR reader to work on ipad, keeps throwing into kids games. I know they are password protected but I dont even get the option. Any suggestions?

Found it at http://www.dave59.com/?p=401 ... but it doesn't seem to want to load very quickly taking over ten minutes. However, the wait is worthwhile since right at the end you can see Mrs C (in red) and the rarest site imaginable, me (in my 14km T-shirt) getting the dosh out of my wallet to buy something! This is a testament to how good Martin's book really is!

Last edited:
In short - just buy it !!!!

Packed full of ideas/information/questions etc etc. Informative, educational, intriguing and inspirational. And then you get all the stuff hidden in the QR codes. . . .

We get Redpolls of all sizes and shapes throughout the year on Orkney - I am now suitably fired up to make an attempt at trying to find out what they are and where they come from - and every Bonxie will be given an extensive grilling from now on.

In exchange for a brown and a blue drinking voucher you get way more than your moneys worth.

A huge BOOM from me.

I've gone through the book and it is a worthwhile purchase though think there should have been some tighter proof reading, numerous spelling mistakes, ie unerparts, missing words, which requires re-reading to make sense of the sentence, and the image of Marsh Warbler head is missing so can't compare directly with those of Reed and Blyth's Reed Warblers.

These quibbles aside will still provide another fine resource for the coming couple of months

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back