• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8.5x42 Swarovsiosn Focus Problem (1 Viewer)

I looked at the 8.5x42 and 10x42 SV yesterday and have to say I think in general it's poor design to have made the focus wheel so large relative to the body armor. Rubber armoring is not a static material and swells/changes with all manner of influences, including heat/cold, bug dope, etc.

It looks like the 8x32 does not have this issue, having enough room between the armor and focus wheel.

Cmo'n Swaro... get with it.

I think you left out the part about the rolling ball projectile vomit this time. ;)

Mark

No point ganging up. :smoke:

As you might have surmised by now, Mark is one of the Defenders of Absam (aka Absamnites). He simply cannot let any criticism of his beloved SV ELs be heard, no matter how legitimate, w/out trying to stifle it with denials or distractions. Blind allegiance is among the sworn duties of his order. In his next incarnation he will come back as an Ostrich. :smoke:

<B>

Rise free from care of constantly defending your brand before the dawn, and seek a diversity of opinions. Let the noon find you listening to others' observations without trying to stifle them, and the night overtake you everywhere at home, and you will sleep soundly knowing that in the next life you won't come back as an Ostrich.

Henry David Thoreau
Walden (translated into contemporary English 2015)

Last edited:
The Customer Service rep did ask me what it would take to make me happy after he told me there was nothing they could do to fix it. My response was fixing the binoculars would make me happy but he said there was no fix so I was not sure of the intent of his question to begin with.

I would have said "Send me a UPS Pickup label for the binoculars, and send me a new pair of EL SV 10X50 at no additional charge."

But that's just me.

As you might have surmised by now, Mark is one of the Defenders of Absam (aka Absamnites). He simply cannot let any criticism of his beloved SV ELs be heard, no matter how legitimate, w/out trying to stifle it with denials or distractions. Blind allegiance is among the sworn duties of his order. In his next incarnation he will come back as an Ostrich. :smoke:

<B>

Rise free from care of constantly defending your brand before the dawn, and seek a diversity of opinions. Let the noon find you listening to others' observations without trying to stifle them, and the night overtake you everywhere at home, and you will sleep soundly knowing that in the next life you won't come back as an Ostrich.

Henry David Thoreau

What can I say? I try to provide some slight counterpoint to Brock's boring compendium of anecdotes. He don't like my anecdotes though. He won't accept any anecdotes that don't fit in his almighty preconceived "database."

Talk about cherry picking...

PS: as an owner and user of Leica, Zeiss, Meopta, Nikon, Swarovski, Bushnell, Zen, Sightron, and umm, probably some others, I am not brand loyal in the least. I just don't appreciate mindless brand-bashing.

Last edited:
Hey Brock...you need to conduct better research.
Comments from real world Swarovision owners. It took me a few minutes to collect them.

"The focus wheel is very responsive."
"They are very easy to focus"
"excellent focus ergonomics"
"The focusing wheel works extremely smoothly, without free play,and focusing is quick and accurate."
"Despite the criticisms I have read, I have no issues with the focus knob."
"These binoculars offer exceptional clarity, ease of focus,"
"So friendly--such a fast, easy, sharp focus"
"focusing smooth"

Hey Brock...you need to conduct better research.
Comments from real world Swarovision owners. It took me a few minutes to collect them.

"The focus wheel is very responsive."
"They are very easy to focus"
"excellent focus ergonomics"
"The focusing wheel works extremely smoothly, without free play,and focusing is quick and accurate."
"Despite the criticisms I have read, I have no issues with the focus knob."
"These binoculars offer exceptional clarity, ease of focus,"
"So friendly--such a fast, easy, sharp focus"
"focusing smooth"

A man convinced against his will,
Is of the same opinion still.

Ed :smoke:

(As pointed out to this author by T. Wempe, ca 1971)

Last edited:
My 10x32 SV Swaro is perfectly smooth at all times, but slightly heavier in the CCW direction, which has absolutely no effect on use. If I close my eyes and hold glasses waist high, I can detect it.

I wrapped 4 windings of cotton thread around the focus knob, tied the thread to my digital trigger pull gauge. It is 1/10 ounce heavier CCW than CW (1/10 ounce is the max resolution of the gauge.)

Tested my Canon 12x36 IS II's, they are 1/10 ounce heavier in the CW direction, as are my Nikon 8x20 LX's. My ancient Swaro 8x30 WB SLC's are the same pull in both directions.

My SV8.5 has a tiny minuscule clearance for the focus, but no squeak.

Here is an idea from my experience.

I did have another problem with a Swarovski. I contacted the place of purchase which was an official Swarovski dealer. They then ummed and ahhed...then gave me the number for the head manager in Australia and told me to ring him. At the time I thought the dealer was fobbing me off and not doing his bit... the dealers etc are just salesmen after all...bins today, soft drink last year, aircon next year...forget the dealer.

I can tell you, contacting the manager directly was the best thing to do. He told me to send my binos directly to him...no receipts, nothing.
Then the Swarovski manager sent me his own new Swarovisions to use while he sent my others to Austria for perfect repair. He asked me if I also wanted him to send me any other binocs of interest!

My bins were returned better than new. The Swarovski manager told me to return his own swarros whenever I wanted. He told me to contact him directly if I ever had any problem or had any queries about anything.

Best service I've ever experienced. Unmatched. Regardless of industry.

<B>

Henry David Thoreau

And you simply cannot let anything like praise go unanswered. Blind opposition seems to be your sworn duty. Really tiresome. :C

Sorry you had to let go your beloved Nikon's for financial reasons, but you really need to stop making others' "alpha" bins into a class/privilege issue; stop judging people by the optical company they keep.

Distorting Thoreau to your own purposes gets you another ignore.

"For the love of the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster, they're only binoculars, and if they didn't exist, we'd just have to stand closer to stuff!" --Sancho

Or look at bigger birds.

Last edited:
And you simply cannot let anything like praise go unanswered. Blind opposition seems to be your sworn duty. Really tiresome. :C

Sorry you had to let go your beloved Nikon's for financial reasons, but you really need to stop making others' "alpha" bins into a class/privilege issue; stop judging people by the optical company they keep.

Distorting Thoreau to your own purposes gets you another ignore.

Stupid question -

How do you ignore somebody...Technically speaking on the site?

What does it mean? Their comments don't show up in the threads? What about responses with the ignored persons comments attached?

Stupid question -

How do you ignore somebody...Technically speaking on the site?

What does it mean? Their comments don't show up in the threads? What about responses with the ignored persons comments attached?

Good question...

Click the "User Control Panel" at the upper right (start at beginning of a thread)
Under Control Panel at left, click “Buddy/Ignore Lists”
Under Buddy/Ignore Lists go to "Add New User to List"
then "Save List."

Now return to a thread and see what happened to the ignored person's posts.

It works quite well.
Ed

Last edited:
Good question...

Click the "User Control Panel" at the upper right (start at beginning of a thread)
Under Control Panel at left, click “Buddy/Ignore Lists”
Under Buddy/Ignore Lists go to "Add New User to List"
then "Save List."

Now return to a thread and see what happened to the ignored person's posts.

It works quite well.
Ed

ok I just ignored you...(then reverted it). But what happened is that it still carried your quotes and also informed me (at each of your points of post) that each post had been removed because you were on my ignore list. So I could still see that you had posted something in that spot.
I can see that might torment some.

What is the purpose of the Buddy function?

Last edited:
ok I just ignored you...(then reverted it). But what happened is that it still carried your quotes and also informed me (at each of your points of post) that each post had been removed because you were on my ignore list. So I could still see that you had posted something in that spot.
I can see that might torment some.

What is the purpose of the Buddy function?

Rathaus,

Persons on your Ignore List don't necessarily know you're suppressing their posts, unless you tell them (I usually don't). Posts from these individuals are suppressed on your screen and only show as stubs. However, you can elect to view what's behind a stub by clicking a button at its upper right. There you can also elect to remove the person from your the ignore list.

I don't use the Buddy function, so I really can't comment as to it's benefits.

Ed

Rathaus,

Persons on your Ignore List don't necessarily know you're suppressing their posts, unless you tell them (I usually don't). Posts from these individuals are suppressed on your screen and only show as stubs. However, you can elect to view what's behind a stub by clicking a button at its upper right. There you can also elect to remove the person from your the ignore list.

I don't use the Buddy function, so I really can't comment as to it's benefits.

Ed

Ok many thanks for that Ed. I can't see myself using the ignore function yet, but interesting to see its there and how it works.

Rathaus

Last edited:
Ok many thanks for that Ed. I can't see myself using the ignore function yet, but interesting to see its there and how it works.

Rathaus

One of the downsides to ignore is people keep quoting the troll and you still get to see most of what you were trying to ignore.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back