• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An interesting (?) pairing (1 Viewer)

Maljunulo

Last evening, I went out on an abbreviated version of my usual evening circuit, leaving my 60 mm. Nikon Fieldscope III home, and taking my Fujinon FMT-SX 16X70 instead.

I was amazed at how much more the big Fujinons showed , compared to my EL SV 10X42. Of course, they handle somewhat differently.

By the time you set up a scope and find the target, I'm not sure the big glasses are any more trouble, in spite of being individual focus. I watched a juvenile Great Blue Heron for a solid fifteen minutes from about 50 yards, and could see every feather in his neck and head, with great ease, as well as the subtle color shadings in his bill. I could see them in the 10X42,but only with some difficulty, and some of the subtle patterning was missing in the smaller glasses. The images in the Fujinons just didn't have quite the "live" quality of the EL, but were excellent, and did show much more, as stated above. (said Captain Obvious)

I also got a good solid ID on a Green Heron at more than 200 yards, which impressed me,

I'm going to cobble up some kind of window mount for them so I don't have to rest them on the partially raised window and brace them with odd fingers, and things.

The incalculable benefit of using both eyes makes me think I prefer this combination to the binocular/scope pairing.

Also, it's amazing how "handy" a pair of 10X42s feels after slinging the 16X70s around.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back