• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astro Adapter for TSN-883, and Eyepieces? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

343mm is the length of the body. The focal length is certainly longer as there is the eyepiece and also some extra light path in the image erecting prism...

Also Kowa fixed mag EPs are usually labelled with their focal length - and 17mmx30=510mm...

Joachim

That's interesting as Kowa on Facebook told me the focal length is 500mm, so something's slightly amiss somewhere.

That's interesting as Kowa on Facebook told me the focal length is 500mm, so something's slightly amiss somewhere.

Hi,

well the difference between 500 and 510mm is not so big... in astro scopes that might be within tolerance - with spotters with their small focus travel, things need to be a bit more precise...

Joachim

Hi,

I tested kowa 883 last night and look at the moon with many (ES and BAADER) oculars and kowa adapter.
I notice that "infocus" is not enough. So i must buy extender for stargazing.

Daytime with birdwatcing there is no broblem for ep what i have, infocus is enough but barely. There is allmost nothing left when you turn the focuser knob. Maybe some eyepiece it might be a broblem.

Kowa zoom lens is good and there is no CA, IF you look at exactly middle of ep.
Otherways there is very little blue in the view when you look at moon.
Daytime i dont notice any CA at all.
All and all kowa's zoom is good ep.

lazy_ferret

Last edited:
Hi,

the problem is that it's not possible to build an adapter with easy to use long screws and enough infocus for all EPs. So they built one version with long screws which can be used with EPs that have a focus point far enough out and one with grub screws for the problematic cases which gains a millimeter or two of infocus.

Joachim

Hello! I have been using a televue nagler 16mm on my meopta s2 with very good result.
Now i`m looking for a eyepiece that gives me a little bit more magnification and i am thinking about the Docter uwa 12,5 or baader morpheus 12,5 mm.
My question is if somebody have tried them booth? I have tried the morpheus 14 mm in my scope and it looked superb, is the docter worth the significant increase in money vs baader?

Hello! I have been using a televue nagler 16mm on my meopta s2 with very good result.
Now i`m looking for a eyepiece that gives me a little bit more magnification and i am thinking about the Docter uwa 12,5 or baader morpheus 12,5 mm.
My question is if somebody have tried them both? I have tried the morpheus 14 mm in my scope and it looked superb, is the docter worth the significant increase in money vs baader?

Thanks for posting this. :t:
The meopta became even more interesting. ;)

You should create a new thread with this info and some photos of the combo and adapter - do you have one adapter?

Regarding your questions, since you are happy with the Nagler 16 eye-relief, it means that you don't need glasses. Like that the 100º AFOV Ethos clones are interesting alternatives to the Baader Morpheus, within the same price range. However there are no 1.25" eps of these clones around 12mm - the closer you have is 9mm - however the TFOV isn't far from the Morpheus 12.5.
The Docter 12.5 is certainly a great ep. If is worthwhile or not the price increase is up to each one, and their finances...
In my case, a wide field freak, I preferred to go for a Nikon HW 12.5/10 since the difference in AFOV is noticeable - I notice the difference from the 102º of the HW to the 100º of my Ethos 17... However this ep alone doesn't reach focus in any of my scopes (needs a barlow for that). If you are interested I can send it to you to test it, in case you don't plan to come to Portugal soon...3:)
By the way, I didn't mentioned the Ethos 13 since, unlike the 110º versions (3.7 and 4.7mm), the other 1.25" Ethos have a not scope compatible 1.25" system - it's a shame...|:(|

Thanks for posting this. :t:
The meopta became even more interesting. ;)

You should create a new thread with this info and some photos of the combo and adapter - do you have one adapter?

Regarding your questions, since you are happy with the Nagler 16 eye-relief, it means that you don't need glasses. Like that the 100º AFOV Ethos clones are interesting alternatives to the Baader Morpheus, within the same price range. However there are no 1.25" eps of these clones around 12mm - the closer you have is 9mm - however the TFOV isn't far from the Morpheus 12.5.
The Docter 12.5 is certainly a great ep. If is worthwhile or not the price increase is up to each one, and their finances...
In my case, a wide field freak, I preferred to go for a Nikon HW 12.5/10 since the difference in AFOV is noticeable - I notice the difference from the 102º of the HW to the 100º of my Ethos 17... However this ep alone doesn't reach focus in any of my scopes (needs a barlow for that). If you are interested I can send it to you to test it, in case you don't plan to come to Portugal soon...3:)
By the way, I didn't mentioned the Ethos 13 since, unlike the 110º versions (3.7 and 4.7mm), the other 1.25" Ethos have a not scope compatible 1.25" system - it's a shame...|:(|

Thank you very much for your answer☺️
I Will tryck to post some info and images of my meopta and astro eyepieces.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back