• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars Experiences (1 Viewer)

aorlansky

Hi ALL,
I'm new to the Forum; please be patient with my English, I'm Italian.
I hope this post can be useful. I'm 45 years old and I must carry glasses from many years (I'm short-sighted); therefore, in a binocular, I need good eye relief. Since I was twenty years old, I like photografy, and from some years, for naturalistic interests, I own some binoculars. This is my personal opinion about the models I own, in order of time purchase :

LEICA TRINOVID 10x42
my first purchase some years ago; I have tried it vs same family model Trinovid 8x42 at my local store before choose it; feeling of extreme robustness and optimal construction; well balanced, light enough to carry (for a man like me); optically all the one which one can be waited for from a Leica product or high quality product (extremely sharp with natural colours, no fatigue view); eye relief (14mm) enough good for me.
"I would repurchase" factor : YES

STEINER NIGHTHUNTER XP 8x56
I must admit to have been attracted from Steiner company claims to this model without to try it before carefully. Heavy (1100 gr) to hold, with a sort of "always in focus" system (Sport-Auto-Focus, like called by Steiner), that I don't like too much... It seems built like a tank, great eye relief (21mm) but, for me, it's simply too expensive (1000 euro in Italy) for its total optical performances.
"I would repurchase" factor : I think NO

MINOX BD 15x58 ED
Found it second hand for 600 euro; it seems very well built; optically superb, very natural and neutral colours, sharp, good eye relief (18mm) but... big, heavy like a rock (1490 gr!, it's the price to pay to have ED lenses), impossible to carry it for one entire day. At free hands, it needs of a sure engagement in order to avoid "shake view". After this, it pass me the desire of high blowup binoculars.
"I would repurchase" factor : at used price, uhmmmm, maybe; at normal price (1200 euro in Italy) NO

SWAROVSKI 8x30 SLC new
Little and light, I like it! Good construction feeling. Very great scene, shake free, relaxant view in all the senses; bright and sharp like my beloved Leica, great FOV, good enough eye relief (15mm) . Its anomalous focus ring position does not annoy to me. Only a problem: it has become the preferred one of my wife, practically I don't see it at all :) .

SWAROVSKI 10x50 SLC
Found it second hand for 700 euro; I think this object is worth all the money that costs (as new, to); heavy but well balanced to hold, very bright and sharp, good eye relief (17mm).

PENTAX 8X43 DCF SP
At the price in Italy (600 euro), it's a great great product!
Little, very light for a "43" lenses; general impression of high quality construction; very bright and sharp and great eye relief (22mm), natural colours; easy and relaxing view. My wife like it, to.

LEICA TRINOVID 7x42
my last purchase, bought at the price of 849 euro, by an offer reduction-in-price from the Leica Italian importer; I think at this price, it's a real bargain! Construction typically Trinovid (high robustness).
Bright, sharp, great FOV, absolutely natural view, not visual stressing, it seems not to watch in a binocular; good eye relief (17mm,
very important for me). I think it's hard to beat (someone told me that Ultravid is even better!).
"I would repurchase" factor : YES! ALL the Life!

Well, at the end, my preferred are Leica and Swaro (no surprise here); in term of colours rendition, to my eyes, I think Leica more neutral and Swaro a little more warm. The pleasant surprise is the Pentax DCF SP. My number one is absolutely the Trinovid 7x42. Another thing I have learn in binoculars is... light is better!
I hope this review can be usefull for somebody with characteristics similar to mine.
Still sorry for my bad English.
Best regards.

Aorlansky,
Benvenuto al foro. Your English is better than my Italian.
There is a lot of interest in binoculars here. I occasionally use a fifteen power binocular but only on a tripod. The most powerful I use hand held is an8.5x44.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Last edited:
Hi aorlansky,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

I have Leica BNs myself and am very happy with them. It is such a subjective thing though.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back