• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 8x32 SV: the story continues (1 Viewer)

Six Point Five

"The focus wheel takes twice the effort to turn counterclockwise as it does to turn clockwise."

After i posted the above, i tried to love the EL 8x32 SV again. I took them on a 3 day trip. That was a mistake. I realized that the focusing mechanism made popping and screeching noises and that the focusing elements in the right barrel were occasionally sticking (not moving) and popping. I did not miss observing birds but i was annoyed.
I called SONA and told them about this. Two months later i received my binoculars back. They have now an outstandingly smooth and precise focus, a pleasure to use. This made a world of difference. Customer service and quality of repair were fantastic. Many thanks to whoever did this up there in Absam.

Now i have an EL 8x32 SV with the great ergonomics of older EL, but with improved optics. I get the sharp and bright image of the Zeiss FL, in an ergonomically nicer package with smooth focus and a wide flat field. I can understand now what all the fuss was about this model.
I think that i will get used to the rather unusual field distortion apparent when scanning left and right. These new SV may become my favorites.

Yes, maybe just seven weeks or so.

Why is everyone so impatient and fixated on instant gratification?
Good things take time to do well. It's a very fine instrument we are talking about, not a milk shake at Dairy Queen.

I've just closely inspected one of those McMansions that cost $1/2 million and took only 2 or 3 months to build. I am glad i don't have to live in it.

Yes, maybe just seven weeks or so.

Why is everyone so impatient and fixated on instant gratification?
Good things take time to do well. It's a very fine instrument we are talking about, not a milk shake at Dairy Queen.

I've just closely inspected one of those McMansions that cost $1/2 million and took only 2 or 3 months to build. I am glad i don't have to live in it.

Did your SV go back to Austria?? I thought Swaro had a full-service shop in Rhode Island?

The 8x32 SV does grow on you. It's my all-around favorite at this point. The 8x32 FL just sits in a drawer.

Last week I was on the west coast and the wind was so bad I got sand up under the SV focus knob (integrated diopter and all). I thought, well, send it to SONA, or just move on? I moved on, and wound up at Tahoe. The grit disappeared, and I got some fantastic views of Western Tanagers and Lazuli Buntings on the Tahoe Rim Trail!

Mark

Did your SV go back to Austria??

Mark

I don't know, i assumed so.

Regardless, they did a fantatsic job on the focuser. I whish i had sent the binoculars in well before my 4 week, 250 species (about) birding trip to Arizona and New Mexico this spring.
I saw the Elegant Trogon and the Red-faced Warbler, among many others, with the old EL 8x32. Not too shabby.
I think that i finally saw every single flycatcher in USA, but for some of them i am not sure which was which, as they were quiet. You know, Empidonax spp. leave you wondering until you hear them. It was fun with the old EL just as well, the new EL would have not contributed all that much, and i don't care about a bird list anyway.

Last edited:
"The focus wheel takes twice the effort to turn counterclockwise as it does to turn clockwise."

After i posted the above, i tried to love the EL 8x32 SV again. I took them on a 3 day trip. That was a mistake. I realized that the focusing mechanism made popping and screeching noises and that the focusing elements in the right barrel were occasionally sticking (not moving) and popping. I did not miss observing birds but i was annoyed.
I called SONA and told them about this. Two months later i received my binoculars back. They have now an outstandingly smooth and precise focus, a pleasure to use. This made a world of difference. Customer service and quality of repair were fantastic. Many thanks to whoever did this up there in Absam.

Now i have an EL 8x32 SV with the great ergonomics of older EL, but with improved optics. I get the sharp and bright image of the Zeiss FL, in an ergonomically nicer package with smooth focus and a wide flat field. I can understand now what all the fuss was about this model.
I think that i will get used to the rather unusual field distortion apparent when scanning left and right. These new SV may become my favorites.

The question this begs is if Swaro can FIX the problem, which is allegedly caused by the one-way spring focusing mechanism, then WHY don't they just redesign the focuser to turn smoothly right out of the box? How many Swaro bins have to be returned until they get it?

Yeah, I know the typical response. Redesigning the focuser on all Swaros vs. fixing the ones that are sent back is more costly and would increase the price of an already uber expensive bin.

The other response (which was from me) was that Swaro caters primarily to hunters, who hunt at long distances and don't do a lot of focusing close-in like birders do. To me, that's a diss on the birding community. We are not worthy enough of consideration.

Given the high prices for Sawro's alphas, they should admit the focuser needs to be redesigned and absorb the cost. Their loyal and deep-pocketed customers deserve it. Even the ones who deny the problem exists. End of story! :smoke:

P.S. 6.5 - Hope you adjust to the "rolling ball," the odds are in your favor. Give it a couple weeks.

Brock

Last edited:
I don't know, i assumed so.

Regardless, they did a fantatsic job on the focuser. I whish i had sent the binoculars in well before my 4 week, 250 species (about) birding trip to Arizona and New Mexico this spring.
I saw the Elegant Trogon and the Red-faced Warbler, among many others, with the old EL 8x32. Not too shabby.
I think that i finally saw every single flycatcher in USA, but for some of them i am not sure which was which, as they were quiet. You know, Empidonax spp. leave you wondering until you hear them. It was fun with the old EL just as well, the new EL would have not contributed all that much, and i don't care about a bird list anyway.

Yes, I rely more and more on song for some of the flycatchers. I don't trust my pitiful birding skills otherwise!

Enjoy the SV. It's a "lifer."

If you find out whether it went back to Austria or stayed here, I think folks would be interested to hear about it. I know I would be.

Mark

How many Swaro bins have to be returned until they get it?Brock

All of them from folks who care about little things? Shall we assume there has to be some downside to whatever they do to satisfy people like me? My SV's came back with a perfect focuser, and I wish I'd sent them back a few months earlier. That said, I could hand them off to non-binoholics before the 'repair' and they'd never notice anything wrong, just the impeccable image.

So, back to wondering if there is a downside to whatever it is they do?

the barsh

To my experience there is nothing wrong with Swaro's focusers. As an example, my 8x42 SLC-HD took a little breaking in to get past some initial squeaks, but now it's smooth as butter, with perfect stiction to hold a position. And it's been that way for two years of use.

As for being harder to turn in one direction than the other, I find it curious that every Porro I own requires more effort to move the bridge out than in. This is also the case with the 7x42 B/GAT*P ... but do we hear the unremitting critic of Swaro focusers say a word about that?

I don't know the innards of Swaro's mechanical design, but a spring is often used as part of an anti-backlash mechanism so that the user doesn't experience an annoying "dead band." The observation that there is a single spring in the mechanism, therefore, simply does not justify the never-ending accusation that it's the cause of a problem. Poppycock!

Swaro should get credit where it's due, and their focuser and integrated diopter is certainly a beautiful and precise mechanism that's a joy to use. :clap:

Ed

Last edited:
The point is for an "alpha" one should expect the focuser to work properly right out of the box and not have to return it to be fixed. Nikon can do it, Leica can do it, Zeiss can do it, why not Swaro?

That's the only question that needs to be answered. The rest is bunkum.

Brock

The point is for an "alpha" one should expect the focuser to work properly right out of the box and not have to return it to be fixed. Nikon can do it, Leica can do it, Zeiss can do it, why not Swaro?

That's the only question that needs to be answered. The rest is bunkum.

Brock
I've seen more than a few much-heralded Nikons that had stiff or sloppy focus mechanisms. I tested two Zeiss' FL's with very stiff focus wheels...one froze solid in direct sunlight. I owned an Ultravid that was never "smoooth", something many Leica owners noted. Most of the inexpensive porros have really sloppy focus drives that are a pain for those with minimal accommodation. Moderately priced roofs are hit or miss when it comes to mechanics, much less optics.

A relentless assault on Swarovski based on BF anecdotes is silly at best. Such analysis would earn an F in a first-year stats course. Swarovski sells a lot of bins for a lot of money to a lot of customers who keep coming back for more. Now there's a tale to tell.

PS
I recently butterflied with my 8.5X42 and it worked great. It's funny how things work in the real world.

To my experience there is nothing wrong with Swaro's focusers. As an example, my 8x42 SLC-HD took a little breaking in to get past some initial squeaks, but now it's smooth as butter, with perfect stiction to hold a position. And it's been that way for two years of use.

As for being harder to turn in one direction than the other, I find it curious that every Porro I own requires more effort to move the bridge out than in. This is also the case with the 7x42 B/GAT*P ... but do we hear the unremitting critic of Swaro focusers say a word about that?

I don't know the innards of Swaro's mechanical design, but a spring is often used as part of an anti-backlash mechanism so that the user doesn't experience an annoying "dead band." The observation that there is a single spring in the mechanism, therefore, simply does not justify the never-ending accusation that it's the cause of a problem. Poppycock!

Swaro should get credit where it's due, and their focuser and integrated diopter is certainly a beautiful and precise mechanism that's a joy to use. :clap:

Ed

Well said, elkcub. Best to remember that optics are made by humans for humans and that humans also have imperfections 'built-in'! My 8x32EL had a smooth, trouble-free focusser right out of the box and has remained this way ever since (10+ years), so I am unable to comment on the problems that others have had in this department. In the volumes of instruments that are sold, someone is bound to get a turkey at some point; the difference is that Swarovski tend to be good and quick at fixing these 'rogue' instruments!

Rhetorical questions can't be answered.

Ed

It's only "rhetorical" because Swaro refuses to address it. There is an answer. And if people keep asking the question instead of denying the issue exists because of misplaced brand loyalty or because they got lucky and got a good focuser on their sample and mistakenly think their experience is typical, despite all the evidence to the contrary, perhaps the question will eventually be answered and the focuser issues will be resolved.

I think it depends a lot on birders who do a lot more focusing than hunters. The more birders buy Swaros and become a larger market segment, and the more who complain about on these forums and to Swaro directly about focuser issues, and the more returns Swaro gets, the more likely they are to finally do what they should have done a decade ago, redesign their focusers so they are consistently smooth out of the box and so that they stay that way for years.

To be clear, I'm not a Swaro basher, I'm a Swaro fan. Swarovski is my second favorite brand next to Nikon. They make excellent products, albeit, IMO, overpriced, but with a "fatal flaw," which is their focusers. Not all are bad, of course, as you and others have noted. But that doesn't mean that yours or others' samples will stay that way either, as the 2001 EL that started out focusing fairly smoothly but got progressively harder to turn to the point where eight years later proved. It took two fingers to turn in one direction, and the other direction, while easier to turn was still stiff compared to most binoculars I've owned or tried at all price points.

The evidence that Swaro focusers are "hit or miss" when it comes to being smooth, is overwhelming at this point. Recently in a BF review, one member noted how the tried two 8x42 SLC-HD and one had a stiff focuser and the other was smooth (the stiff one also leaked water inside).

I'm hoping by the time I can afford a Swaro, the "squeaky wheel" will have gotten greased, thanks to my efforts and that of others who aren't afraid to take flak from fanboys because they, too, like Swaros, and know that the company can do better, and for the price they charge, should do better.

End of Sunday sermon.

Brock

Last edited:
It's only "rhetorical" because Swaro refuses to address it. There is an answer. And if people keep asking the question instead of denying the issue exists because of misplaced brand loyalty or because they got lucky and got a good focuser on their sample and mistakenly think their experience is typical, despite all the evidence to the contrary, perhaps the question will eventually be answered and the focuser issues will be resolved.

I think it depends a lot on birders who do a lot more focusing than hunters. The more birders buy Swaros and become a larger market segment, and the more who complain about on these forums and to Swaro directly about focuser issues, and the more returns Swaro gets, the more likely they are to finally do what they should have done a decade ago, redesign their focusers so they are consistently smooth out of the box and so that they stay that way for years.

To be clear, I'm not a Swaro basher, I'm a Swaro fan. Swarovski is my second favorite brand next to Nikon. They make excellent products, albeit, IMO, overpriced, but with a "fatal flaw," which is their focusers. Not all are bad, of course, as you and others have noted. But that doesn't mean that yours or others' samples will stay that way either, as the 2001 EL that started out focusing fairly smoothly but got progressively harder to turn to the point where eight years later proved. It took two fingers to turn in one direction, and the other direction, while easier to turn was still stiff compared to most binoculars I've owned or tried at all price points.

The evidence that Swaro focusers are "hit or miss" when it comes to being smooth, is overwhelming at this point. Recently in a BF review, one member noted how the tried two 8x42 SLC-HD and one had a stiff focuser and the other was smooth (the stiff one also leaked water inside).

I'm hoping by the time I can afford a Swaro, the "squeaky wheel" will have gotten greased, thanks to my efforts and that of others who aren't afraid to take flak from fanboys because they, too, like Swaros, and know that the company can do better, and for the price they charge, should do better.

End of Sunday sermon.

Brock

Brock,

Seriously???

It takes you two fingers to be able to focus a EL/SV in one direction?

B :)B :)B :)

Jan

End of Sunday sermon.

Brock

Brock,
I wouldn't class myself as a Swarovski 'fanboy' and neither do I regard myself as being guilty of 'misplaced brand loyalty'! Over the years I have used optics from the following brands before finally settling on Swarovski: (in no particular order) Optolyth Alpin, Zeiss East Jenoptem, Zeiss West Dialyt, Nikon and Swift. All were good (for me) at their price point and all were positive upgrades on the previous purchase but none gave me the quality of image, fit, finish and ergonomics provided by the Swaros. I agree that the prices of top of the range 'alphas' has got seriously out of hand and there is no way that I could possibly justify almost £2000 GBP for a binocular even if I felt the need to change - which I don't. Many hours and countless words are spent discussing squeaky focussers and edge to edge sharpness when just one phrase sums it up; buy the best that you can afford after extensive research and hands-on trials and get out into the field and use them for the purpose they were bought. This way you won't go far wrong. It's the 'fashion chasers' as much as those who strive for optical perfection that feed the ridiculous prices of new models don"t you think?

Last edited:

The SV 8x32 is the "Best Birding Binocular" in the world.

End of Sunday sermon.

Brock
It's not a fatal flaw and your miniscule anecdotal sampling isn't worth a hill of beans.

PS
My wife hasn't touched her SE since she got an 8X32 SV more than a year ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back