• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Sale? (1 Viewer)

Steve260

Just a FYI - looks like Eagle Optics is running a "Sale" on all Swarovski binoculars. Yesterday, the prices were pretty much all around 10% below list price. Today, the prices are all around 18% - 19% below list price.

Not sure how long Swarovski binocs may remain at Sale prices, but thought anybody "on the fence" might want to know...

Steve

Am I a cynic or have Swarovski got a new model due in Early Oct? Just clearing out all those old ones.....

However, an offer not to be sniffed at.

Wow that will be dilemma, because if yes I will be happy,but it will ruin the budget and planning also for next year :)

65th Anniversary Sale--extends to their spotting scopes as well. Apparently offered at most authorized Swaro dealers. Might be a bit of a response to blunt the impact of the future release of the new Zeiss SF model!

65th Anniversary Sale--extends to their spotting scopes as well. Apparently offered at most authorized Swaro dealers. Might be a bit of a response to blunt the impact of the future release of the new Zeiss SF model!

Lucky you in the US.

Down here only the SLC 56 series is minus 10% for two months.

Jan

No big sales in 56s, Jan ?

Since the prices popped from 1.520,00 to 2.280,00 (8x) and 1.795,00 to 2.440,00 (15x), within a 18 months, people still bought them because of the brightness they produce but complained about the significant price raise.

Still a prove that the price is not an issue as long as the quality is the best of the best.

Jan

It's all depends how you look at it.
From 1.520,00 to 2.280,00 is a price raise of 50%. Now Swarovski offers a reduction of 10% and some dealers put an extra of 8%, so they advertise with a discount round 18%.
The "normal" rate discount down here is 10% so it could/should be 20% minus.
Now people are running to the shops for 18% discount while the prices raised 50%.
Who is kidding who?
If you are in need of top quality you have to pay the price and that price is still an überprice!!
I can not change that, neither will Zeiss, Leica and/or Swarovski.

Jan

I seriously question if anybody really "needs" top quality optics. From my experience at the Birdwatching Digest-sponsored "Big Sits," the birder who each year correctly identifies the most birds has the least expensive binoculars. Why? Because he has the best ear for bird songs, he is the best a mimicking birds to get them out of the woods and into the open, and when they appear, he is the best at identifying their field markings. He owns a humble but competent $200 Pentax 8x36 NV, and he is the envy (NV) of his fellow bird club members who own expensive Swaro SLCs and ELs.

I'd like to conduct a double blind test with an expert birder using a cheapo Nikon 7x35 Aculon and a $2K+ Leica 7x42 Ubervid (or EDG or SLCneu) and find out if he/she really can ID birds better with an alpha than with the Aculon under sunny skies. Get a statistician to calculate how much better and see if the cost warrants the better ID performance. I can take a not so wild guess that it would not, not even close.

Are the alphas better built? Of course. Are the optics better? I would certainly hope so, but $2K better? Well, that's between you, your mate and your wallet. But the point is, nobody "needs" an alpha anymore than anybody needs a Mercedes.

Here's another test I call the Piaget Effect. It's a bit sneaky, but it would be interesting to try. Let's say someone replaced the green armoring on the 8x32 Sightron II with gray armoring and put a Zeiss blue shield on it and then handed them out free to hunting guides, telling them, this is Zeiss's latest and greatest, an 8x32 SF. Just in case the hunting guides catch on, let's make them confederates in the ruse. So they start using the new faux 8x32 SFs, and their duckling hunters take a look through them. How much you want to bet that right after the hunt or even before it's over, the hunters are on their cell phones ordering an 8x32 SF from their Zeiss dealer?

This is not a put down of hunters, the same thing would likely happen at a birding event if Steve Ingraham had a faux 8x32 SF. The phone at Zeiss dealers would be ringing off the hook.

Why? (I'm glad you keep asking questions ;)). Partly human nature, partly Madison Ave. Everybody wants to own "the best." If that weren't true, we'd all be driving Honda Civics, realizing that spending more for a car is simply throwing money out the window.

Brock

I seriously question if anybody really "needs" top quality optics. From my experience at the Birdwatching Digest-sponsored "Big Sits," the birder who each year correctly identifies the most birds has the least expensive binoculars. Why? Because he has the best ear for bird songs, he is the best a mimicking birds to get them out of the woods and into the open, and when they appear, he is the best at identifying their field markings. He owns a humble but competent $200 Pentax 8x36 NV, and he is the envy (NV) of his fellow bird club members who own expensive Swaro SLCs and ELs.

I'd like to conduct a double blind test with an expert birder using a cheapo Nikon 7x35 Aculon and a $2K+ Leica 7x42 Ubervid (or EDG or SLCneu) and find out if he/she really can ID birds better with an alpha than with the Aculon under sunny skies. Get a statistician to calculate how much better and see if the cost warrants the better ID performance. I can take a not so wild guess that it would not, not even close.

Are the alphas better built? Of course. Are the optics better? I would certainly hope so, but $2K better? Well, that's between you, your mate and your wallet. But the point is, nobody "needs" an alpha anymore than anybody needs a Mercedes.

Here's another test I call the Piaget Effect. It's a bit sneaky, but it would be interesting to try. Let's say someone replaced the green armoring on the 8x32 Sightron II with gray armoring and put a Zeiss blue shield on it and then handed them out free to hunting guides, telling them, this is Zeiss's latest and greatest, an 8x32 SF. Just in case the hunting guides catch on, let's make them confederates in the ruse. So they start using the new faux 8x32 SFs, and their duckling hunters take a look through them. How much you want to bet that right after the hunt or even before it's over, the hunters are on their cell phones ordering an 8x32 SF from their Zeiss dealer?

This is not a put down of hunters, the same thing would likely happen at a birding event if Steve Ingraham had a faux 8x32 SF. The phone at Zeiss dealers would be ringing off the hook.

Why? (I'm glad you keep asking questions ;)). Partly human nature, partly Madison Ave. Everybody wants to own "the best." If that weren't true, we'd all be driving Honda Civics, realizing that spending more for a car is simply throwing money out the window.

Brock
Brock, I love ya man.

The difference is there if you choose to look for it.
Could we all be happier with cheaper optics? Maybe.

Your point?

I have to disagree.

Like the old saying goes, you get what you pays for!

Does that mean I have something you don't?

I doubt it.

Really its all about the experience, the moment, enjoying nature with what you have.

Be it a Sightron, Swarovski or Nikon!

I happen to be on a birding trip this weekend, we are using what we have.

Does it make a difference what optics we are using?

If I told you S Z L N does it really matter?

No, what matters is do we enjoy what we are doing, and are we willing to spend more money to enjoy the experience?

That's all personal and you can't place judgment on that!

Now if I was to bost on the matter and say well I had L and I saw things that N wouldn't show me or whatever, you get my point?

My friend get out and enjoy what we have.

Life is to short, enjoy the moment however that may be!

From the southern Oregon Coast!

Bryce...

Brock

Its an interesting scenario Brock but just because there is a grain of truth in it that doesn't mean its the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

In a way Swarovski has already done this experiment with the CL 8x30. Its all dressed up in Swaro finery but although its a nice instrument it was quickly found out that it really isn't optically up to the standards of an EL. So I am not at all convinced that we are all fooled by the badge and the appearance of a sub-alpha into believing that it has alpha qualities.

And your closing remark about 'simply throwing money out of window' rests on a reductionist assumption (also explored on the Kowa thread) that spending money on anything but utility is foolish.

But measuring utility is difficult because different folks put different values on different aspects of a product. And then there is the age-old question of how good is good enough? Its an impossible question to give an answer that will satisfy everybody. Our Skoda combi has a trunk that is larger than a BMW 3 series or Mercedes C-class and so for us, utility-wise it trumps those two aspirational and prestigious models. But as you know me and my lady take the aspirational route with bins and have Zeiss and Leica. And here is the point. Your 'simply throwing money out of the window' is, I feel, missing the point because 'pleasure of ownership' isn't simple. The idea that when we buy a car, or pair of bins or a mobile phone, we simply want to drive somewhere, look at something or call someone, is too simple. We are buying something that makes us feel good about our purchase and about our ownership of it. That pleasure of ownership may indeed be confined to the basic job the item needs to do, but we may value other things much more highly for the hard-to-define pleasure we get from owning them.

And from another angle Bryce is dead right. We recently stalked to within a very close distance to a female European Otter and her two cubs, and watched them in crystal clear sea water as they played and foraged. We would have enjoyed them through any pair of bins that were to hand.

Lee

Last edited:
Brock,

You are comparing apples with banana's.

A skilled birder will "see" more than a not skilled birder.
That has indeed nothing to do with the optics he uses.
But don't try to sell me the fact that he won't see it better, sharper, more colorfull etc. (or the same view) with an Leica 7x42 opmpared to any cheapo.

Does the price difference justify the performance difference??
That is a totally different matter and a personal choice. You can't mix these two issues and conclude that the experienced birder sees more with cheapo's than the inexperienced with Leica's (for example).

Jan

Its an interesting scenario Brock but just because there is a grain of truth in it that doesn't mean its the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

In a way Swarovski has already done this experiment with the CL 8x30. Its all dressed up in Swaro finery but although its a nice instrument it was quickly found out that it really isn't optically up to the standards of an EL. So I am not at all convinced that we are all fooled by the badge and the appearance of a sub-alpha into believing that it has alpha qualities.

And your closing remark about 'simply throwing money out of window' rests on a reductionist assumption (also explored on the Kowa thread) that spending money on anything but utility is foolish.

But measuring utility is difficult because different folks put different values on different aspects of a product. And then there is the age-old question of how good is good enough? Its an impossible question to give an answer that will satisfy everybody. Our Skoda combi has a trunk that is larger than a BMW 3 series or Mercedes C-class and so for us, utility-wise it trumps those two aspirational and prestigious models. But as you know me and my lady take the aspirational route with bins and have Zeiss and Leica. And here is the point. Your 'simply throwing money out of the window' is, I feel, missing the point because 'pleasure of ownership' isn't simple. The idea that when we buy a car, or pair of bins or a mobile phone, we simply want to drive somewhere, look at something or call someone, is too simple. We are buying something that makes us feel good about our purchase and about our ownership of it. That pleasure of ownership may indeed be confined to the basic job the item needs to do, but we may value other things much more highly for the hard-to-define pleasure we get from owning them.

And from another angle Bryce is dead right. We recently stalked to within a very close distance to a female European Otter and her two cubs, and watched them in crystal clear sea water as they played and foraged. We would have enjoyed them through any pair of bins that were to hand.

Lee

Lee,

I don't want to get too far off the subject here but I think it is worth pointing out once more that Swarovski never intended the CLs to come up to the standards of the ELs. They were brought out to replace the 8x30 SLC which was getting long in the tooth and costly to make. Swarovski also threw a 10 x30 CL into the mix.

Bob

Lee,

I don't want to get too far off the subject here but I think it is worth pointing out once more that Swarovski never intended the CLs to come up to the standards of the ELs. They were brought out to replace the 8x30 SLC which was getting long in the tooth and costly to make. Swarovski also threw a 10 x30 CL into the mix.

Bob

Point taken, but when your credo is to improve the best.........

If you are questioning whether or not they have done so the people who have the new Swarovison versions of the ELs will almost certainly argue that they have.

Bob

Absolutely!!!

But could we consider an CL 30 line Swarovski worthy. Is this model a prove of improving the best? IMHO not.

Jan

Absolutely!!!

But could we consider an CL 30 line Swarovski worthy. Is this model a prove of improving the best? IMHO not.

Jan

If ergonomics are important in this respect many people will argue that the 8x30 CL improved on the ergonomics of the 8x30 SLC. I've got both and the eye cups of the 8x30 CL are definitely an improvement over those on the 8x30 SLC. Additionally it is lighter and smaller and easier to focus which is very important to my wife who uses it. And in my opinion it also handles glare better than the old 8x30 SLC did which might be the result of using new oculars with a smaller FOV.

There are different kinds of improvements I think and sometimes less becomes more.

I have no experience with the new SLCs which some people think improved the older models.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back