• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do I find a firecrest??? (1 Viewer)

John o'Sullivan

I have been trying for many years to find a firecrest in Gwent.

They are all over the country at the moment. It seems that any one who pops out for a few minutes in pembrokeshire comes across 1-2. I've seen quite a few and even self-found a couple on Portland over the years (last one about 20 years ago). How, where do I find one. What trees, what call, what behaviour, all help appreciated.

They are my big bogey bird of my Gwent self found list (plus Pec sand)

I gave up and twitched one, and found a second one with it. Result!

They were in Holly, FWIW. I've seen them previously in Holm Oak, in Gorse, and in Hawthorn, and on a bare garden trellis.

Graham

I have been trying for many years to find a firecrest in Gwent.

They are all over the country at the moment. It seems that any one who pops out for a few minutes in pembrokeshire comes across 1-2. I've seen quite a few and even self-found a couple on Portland over the years (last one about 20 years ago). How, where do I find one. What trees, what call, what behaviour, all help appreciated.

They are my big bogey bird of my Gwent self found list (plus Pec sand)

Of the birds i've seen recently in my home county, they tend to favour area with small river valleys i.e. a small trickle of a stream and good wooded habitat around it. If you have any old copies of your local bird report these should give you an idea of where birds are wintering, so you can go and search those sites.

CB

As mentioned, evergreen tree/shrub species hold an especial allure for this species in winter (food)...

Roving tit flocks always need looking at, often they are off at the periphery of the main bird movement and sometimes lower down. Ivy covered trees good too.

Not sure about Gwent habitats especially, but woodlands/habitats nearer the coast on migration and also into the winter ...

I'd second the suggestion of wooded habitat near streams. In my experience they tend to like lower levels than Goldcrest, so I'd be looking for places with shrub-sized growth.

However, the one place locally where I can guarantee to find one or two every winter is nowhere near water. It's on the steep, north-facing slope of a wood that tends to be dank because it doesn't get any sun at this time of year - and, yes, there is a holly bush nearby.

Hang on a mo ... 'self-found' ...at a known site ?? ;)

Or is that just a reasonable suggestion?

Not well up on the rules for self-found - but Wentwood is a big area and Firecrests I believe are few (not even sure if annual?). If so, would seem a reasonable self-found to me.

Don't worry John, I have not found one in Gwent either ;)

Not well up on the rules for self-found - but Wentwood is a big area and Firecrests I believe are few (not even sure if annual?). If so, would seem a reasonable self-found to me.

Ah well, (and the rules can probably be what you want them to be of course, the punkbirders ones being one standard of course) that's ok then ;)

My first self-found Firecrest in Gwent was a singing male in the forested uplands of the Black Mountains, probably around 1500' ASL, parked my car off a dirt track under a big old Beech, returned a few hours later and, whilst 100+ yards away, wondered what was singing ... and it was right above my car! Later that year, found them over the border in Powys too, about 1700'. That was in Spring, after a succession of mild Winters though.

At this time of year, luck and a good ear for the (high-pitched) unusual will help - or, train up a keen youngster with good ears as a birding companion ;)

They certainly seem to favour areas near water,especially if there is Holly or Ivy nearby.Just keep checking those Goldcrest calls.In Pembrokeshire look for at Bosherston pools,and Westfield Pill.

Hi, birds moving through an area love willow. If there's any marshy willow carr on the Gwent coast, i'd start there. Wintering birds as mentioned love evergreens, so a good component of ivy, holly, holm oak mixed in with hawthorns, willows etc, i've seen them in inland areas with laurel and rhododendron even. By far the easiest way to find one is by call as they call quite regularly. The calls are usually quite different to Goldcrest being lower pitched, hoarser and more bell-like, one of the calls (male?) is a rising 3 note call. Have a listen on Tarsiger or Xeno-Canto a few times and you're away. Great fun looking for Firecrests, and what a smart bird. Never know you might find a YBW or Dusky while you're at it!
Good hunting.

Thanks for the advice. Over the years my regular sites for looking have been
1.At ynysyfro resevoirs there is a willlow in a garden that is just away from a conifer wood.
2.Alongside the river Ebbw at Bassaleg
3.At Saltmarsh Lane on the Gwent levels
4. Along the bushes and trees on the ridge just west of Newport at Pen y lan

I've always been able to find shed loads of goldcrests and wintering chiffs and blackcaps but no Firecrests.

I'll try looking lower down and make sure I know the call. They are very scarce in Gwent (away from breeding areas, when they do breed) but even so with all the time I've put in I'd have thought I'd have got one by now. I've usually got my dog with me, any-one know if they are a species that are sensitive to the presence of a dog??

I'll try looking lower down and make sure I know the call. They are very scarce in Gwent (away from breeding areas, when they do breed) but even so with all the time I've put in I'd have thought I'd have got one by now. I've usually got my dog with me, any-one know if they are a species that are sensitive to the presence of a dog??

The wintering birds i've seen up here in Cheshire have all been next to busy public footpaths which are frequented by dog-walkers.

CB

Learn its simple call and listen for it in winter flocks of tits and Goldcrests. The call is not really similar to Goldcrest, and I found wintering Firecrests together with Goldcrests in bushes, hedgerows etc.

In spring, its song is distinctive. On the Continent, this bird usually settles where there is a single or a few old, tall spruce, yew, fir, white cedar or similar conifers with dense, lush crown, surrounded by broad-leaved trees in a forest or old park. Seeing it in tree crown is however often neck-tiring.

best,

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back