• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best time to visit Scotland for birding (1 Viewer)

Rakesh

The future belongs to those who believe in the bea
I might have to travel to Scotland in Jan/ Feb . Would appreciate help on the places where I can go for birding there during that period . Also , I will have to travel with my 600mm , so do you think it is a good idea or should I travel with a light compact lens like the 300 / 100-400 ??

Thanx,
Rakesh

Hi Rakesh

Winter in Scotland is the time for Geese, Swans, Ducks, and Waders which you'll find in their thousands on unfrozen lochs and estuaries.

It would help if you could tell us where you are going to be based, so we can advise further. Are there any particular species you would like to see.

THIS Opus page will give you a start.

I can't advise at all on which lens - hopefully someone else will come in who can.

D

As Delia states if you give an idea of the Birds you are interested in. We go to Scotland on our holidays and as yet have only covered 3 main areas ...and still have the majority of the country still to do.

At the moment Rakesh the weather in Scotland is really cold so you will have to bring some warm clothing with you.

In the winter you'll generally find far more birds along the coast in Scotland, although some specialities can be looked for inland. A lot of areas on both east and west coasts can be very good.

Hello from Scotland Rakesh, as Delia has said winter time in Scotland is a great time for wintering Duck, geese and Swans.

I'm situated up on the Moray Coast and perfectly placed to see a lot of species in a very small area, large rafts of common scoter with good numbers of velvet thrown in and the occasional surf. Long-tailed Duck, King Eider, Slavonian Grebes.... the list goes on.

As Andrew has said also the weather up here at present is very cold minus 10 degrees at night, and minus 3 during the day but the sun during the day makes up for it.

A lot of places are very accessable by car so you wont have to trudge for miles with your kit.

Check my web page below and if I can help in anyway drop me a line.

Hope you enjoy Scotland when you get here.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanx guys for the response . I have yet to get my schedule fom my company , but I am sure I will be visiting the The Glenlivet distillery , Strathisla distillery and mostly Edinburgh city . Should be 2 days each . Any places around these would be managable . I can also extend the stay by 2-3 days , if required .

Morning Rakesh, both the Glenlivet and StrathIsla are in my area,if you need a guide then please get in touch. You have some good birding sites in the area.

Edinburgh is a bit far South for me, but once again you have a good few areas of interest down there as well.

Weather is warmer today (plus 2) but forecast getting cooler next week, will keep you posted!

Good birding

Dave

Namaste Rakesh,

Edinburgh is easy enough. The main sites are in East Lothian, east of the city. All are (weather permitting) accessible by bus. Aberlady Bay is the best site for geese, mostly Pink-footed Geese, but in January numbers decline somewhat from their Autumn peak. Musselburgh is good for waders and sea ducks while the furthest afield site of John Muir Country Park currently has a flock of Horned (Shore) Larks with a Grey Phalarope wintering nearby. If they are still around, then catching up with any of the Bohemian Waxwing flocks will be worthwhile. Let me know if you need any further information.

David

Morning from Inverness David (good name by the way!) The Shore Larks are very interesting, can you get public transport to the location , preferably train? It's a long way to drive but train would be good.

Regards

Dave

Morning from Inverness David (good name by the way!) The Shore Larks are very interesting, can you get public transport to the location , preferably train? It's a long way to drive but train would be good.

Regards

Dave

Train Inverness to Waverley then Bus (X6 or 6 on a Sunday) to West Barns. The Larks are on the Saltmarsh accessed from Seafield Pond (next to the caravan site). The Larks are normally north of the toilet block. ALternatively you can get a train to Dunbar and take quite a long walk. There is a Grey Phalarope on the east beach at Dunbar too.

David

Thank you for the info, when the weather clears a bit I might just have a wander down. Once again thank you very much for info and directions.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back