• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shanghai Perambulations (3 Viewers)

Some more shots from Hengsha Island :

1. Piping water into the enclosed marshland.
2. Chinese Egret (another shot - with feet and bill - to follow).
3. Stitched Panorama of 34 Black Faced Spoonbills and 1 Eurasian Spoonbill.
4. Crested Myna & Friend
5. Chinese Grey Shrike

Attachments

• Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Nov%202014%20%232-X2.jpg
    Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Nov%202014%20%232-X2.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Nov%202014%20Chinese%20Egret%20%231-X2.jpg
    Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Nov%202014%20Chinese%20Egret%20%231-X2.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Spoonbills%20-%20Nov%202014%20%231-X2.jpg
    Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Spoonbills%20-%20Nov%202014%20%231-X2.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Nov%202014%20%20Crested%20Myna%20%26%20Friend%20%231-X2.jpg
    Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Nov%202014%20%20Crested%20Myna%20%26%20Friend%20%231-X2.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Nov%202014%20%20Chinese%20Grey%20Shrike%20%231-X2.jpg
    Hengsha%20Island%2C%20Nov%202014%20%20Chinese%20Grey%20Shrike%20%231-X2.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 24
very sad, these water pipeline are actually the way they're filling the reclamed area with the mud... it is actually a mud pipeline rather than a water one.... it is usually the beginning of the end....

Jonathan, i believe it serves a two way purpose. I was told during my first visit to Hengsha in 2011, that these are the alluvial deposits brought by the Yangtze river and they were pumped out for the ease of Vessels going in and out of the Wusong Port. Even though Yangshan port is a major one now, Wusong is still an active port.

But with the new port coming up in Hengsha, all this recent alluvial pumping is definitely for the land fill.

Well there was supposed to be a write-up on a trip to Hengsha Island with Kai today, however .........

Two days ago I had a flat in my front right, tyre damaged beyond repair so put two new tyres on the front (all 4 were replaced less than a year ago). Today we set off on the S20 (Outer Ring Road) and after having gone 15 mins the rear left went, badly, exploded and shredded. Luckily we were only doing 80-90kph and there was not too much traffic around, so I was able to control it and bring it to a halt in the inside lane (no hard shoulder at this spot - which was another concern in the dark) ! Luckily Kai was able to direct the traffic around us by flashing a torch at them.

End of the trip and the Hengsha Island report :(

Wow. Glad to hear you're safe, Kevin.

Sitting on the S20 in the dark fixing a flat has got to be unnerving at best.

Thanks Jeff. :t:

I think what helped was the whole centre part of the tyre coming off the rim very quickly, leaving just the sides so we weren't riding on the rim but after the initial blow there wasn't much to slide around on. Lift off the throttle and no braking until we were down to 20-30. Nice bit of luck all round :king:

Glad to hear there were no worse repercussions - even if missing a day's birding sucks enough on its own!

Cheers
Mike

Hi all, my wife and I are in Shanghai a few days in late January. I'm wondering if someone can suggest a currently dependable spot reachable by public transport for Reed Parrotbill. At least one tour company trip report mentioned a hotel near the airport with a "close-by" reed bed, but I don't know the hotel or what "close-by" meant. We arrive at night but could use an airport hotel if something was nearby and try in the morning.

Thanks

Bob

There's a Holiday Inn at Nanhui and a couple other hotels at Dishui Lake. maybe that's what they meant?

You can get to within a few miles of the shoreline and the reedbeds at Nanhui via Line 16 the Shanghai metro system. Take that to the Dishui Lake (Dishui Hu) station at the end of the line. There's a bus station right across the street from the station and I suspect that there are buses from the Dishui Hu subway station that can get you to the Holiday Inn but I don't know specifically which one. There's also a taxi rank there and I'm sure that one of them can get you to the Holiday Inn (get the name written out in Chinese and you're good to go).

If you're staying at the airport, getting to Line 16 is not really convenient. You basically have to go most of the way into Pudong and then back out. Probably makes more sense to take a taxi.

Hi all, my wife and I are in Shanghai a few days in late January. I'm wondering if someone can suggest a currently dependable spot reachable by public transport for Reed Parrotbill. At least one tour company trip report mentioned a hotel near the airport with a "close-by" reed bed, but I don't know the hotel or what "close-by" meant. We arrive at night but could use an airport hotel if something was nearby and try in the morning.

Thanks

Bob

John's given you a good basic idea. However I'm not sure how easy it is to get a taxi back (this is a remote location, there may be public mini-buses but you are on the seawall road and there are no other buildings of any sort other than the Holiday Inn which stands alone like a pimple on the landscape .. and no cars other than private cars so the only way to get a taxi back to the metro would be to arrange pickup in advance or ask the hotel to call one for you - the receptionists don't speak English so you'd need that written down too).

Once there you have another problem - there are only 2-3 Reed Parrotbill locations remaining (that I know of) and they are a few kms away from the hotel. There is a lot of construction destruction of the reed beds too so they may be a lot more itinerant than previously where you were nearly always certain to find them in the same places or close by.

Note that these Reed-beds are absolutely huge and although they are disappearing at an alarming rate they still cover up to 100 sq. kms (very roughly 25+kms x 1-4 kms).

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I guess this isn't as easy as I was hoping. (A little easier for a bird tour with their own transport). I think that Holiday Inn is probably the right one; I didn't realize it was so far from the airport. I think we'll settle for some morning birding in some park in Shanghai.

Bob

Thanks guys. I guess this isn't as easy as I was hoping. (A little easier for a bird tour with their own transport). I think that Holiday Inn is probably the right one; I didn't realize it was so far from the airport. I think we'll settle for some morning birding in some park in Shanghai.

Bob

The best one is the old Shanghai Botanical Garden (there are two, the other is way outside Shanghai) .... ca. 20-30 mins from any central downtown hotel. It's in a built-up area and taxis very easy to come by. may even be a metro stop close-by !

The Botanical may not be the best park for birding, but it still holds up decently with its birdlife. I'm not so sure if it came back this season, but a Long-billed Plover used to frequent the Botanical in the winter, and shared the river running through the park with Common and Green Sandpiper, as well as Common Snipe- not common birds in the heart of the city :D

Not Shanghai but a teaser for the Trip Report to Inner Mongolia that I'll post this week :-

Attachments

• Snowy%20Owl%20%231-X2.jpg
    Snowy%20Owl%20%231-X2.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 48
Woof!

. . .

Now I've recovered my breath . . . That's not a teaser - it's a whopping spoiler!

Looking forward to reading/seeing more Kevin.

Cheers
Mike

Yeah, yeah. There was one last November less than a mile from where I'm sitting right now. :smoke:

Just kidding. Great bird and great shot, Kevin. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back